Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Rumor: 200C OK’d and Marchionne inputs design changes for 2011 300C

8 posts in this topic

Word out of Auburn Hills is that Fiat has signed off on the hot 200C for production and it will be code named GTD.

The conundrum is if the car should be built as a rear wheel drive or front wheel drive. Apparently, if it goes RWD it will be built on the same LY platform as the Dodge Challenger and will be produced in Brampton Ontario Canada along with the 300C, Charger and Challenger.

If it goes front wheel drive, it will most likely be built using an existing Fiat or Alfa platform.

The other tip was that the Fiat folks weren’t too happy with the next generation 2011 300C and have issued front and rear fascia changes to happen before the car debuts next year along with the “bolder” 2011 Dodge Charger.

If the 200C were to go FWD it would be a premium offering against C-segment competitors, which is a tough but forgettable group. If it were to go RWD, it could easily provide the same equipment, more power and ultimately more value over a C-Class Mercedes, 3-Series BMW and A-series Audi.

more at link:

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/2009/08/07...-for-2011-300c/

I know I don't usually partake in the FWD/RWD arguments, but I think the 200C should be RWD.

Now... moving onto something else--what's going on with the Sebring? They wanted to have an emergency fix for it for 2009, but the company was busy. Now that they're figuring some plans out, how about trying to fix the Sebring... it has a lot of great features, it just looks horrendous. Throw a new Phoenix engine in there too.

I know I don't usually partake in the FWD/RWD arguments, but I think the 200C should be RWD.

Now... moving onto something else--what's going on with the Sebring? They wanted to have an emergency fix for it for 2009, but the company was busy. Now that they're figuring some plans out, how about trying to fix the Sebring... it has a lot of great features, it just looks horrendous. Throw a new Phoenix engine in there too.

Sounds like 200C is replacing it, so the Sebring will limp along as is until the 200C comes out?

As far as FWD/RWD, I would think a RWD model would be a nice fit for Dodge--make the next Avenger kind of a small Charger.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

This isn't news, well not to me anyway. Marchionne sent the designers back to rework the 300C, and make it a more thorough redesign than it was going to be. He feels that if it doesn't turn your head it's not worth building.

I like this guy.

The 200C is as of now, RWD, which is good because if the Chrysler brand has any hope of being relevant, it needs to move upmarket. Going RWD for a volume vehicle would be a good step in that direction.

The question is whether or not the Avenger will go RWD or stay FWD either on the current JS platform or a Fiat platform.

Don't you mean "200C", o fan of Dodge?

I agree big time with making it RWD. Chrysler deserves to move upscale. Slotting in a smaller RWD offering underneath the flagship 300C could go a long way towards distancing Chrysler from Dodge. Next, I'd build a convertible based off the 200C to replace the Sebring. I'm not sure how the Town & Country is doing, but I suppose it could either be killed and have resources given for a balls-out Caravan, or build both minivans off of LY.

Yes I meant 200C. :P

Town and Country as a name could move upscale and onto a crossover. It used to be a wagon after all.

Yeah when I saw the Viability Plan PDF's the 300 didn't look like a convincing redesign...

I have to say although I'm really routing for GM to get their act together on all fronts, I am really happy that the Chrysler/Fiat deal looks so promising from an early point. I really can't wait to see this car in the sheetmetal. And the new 300 sounds like it is going to be much better now...