Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Edmunds praises Volvo XC60, pans Cadillac SRX in new entry-lux CUV comparo

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: SUV, Audi, Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz, Reviews

xc60_630.jpg
2010 Volvo XC60 - Click above for high-res image gallery

Volvo's new XC60 sits at the top of the pack when it battles head-to-head against the Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK350, and Cadillac SRX, says Edmunds in its latest four-way comparison. The entrants, each new members of the expanding Compact Luxury Crossover segment, were all selected for the battle based on size and their less-than-$40,000 starting prices. Veterans such as the Acura RDX, BMW X3, and Infiniti EX35 were left home as they aren't rookies to the field.

With a resolutely last place finish, the Cadillac SRX was clobbered over its outward visibility, weight, lack of overall space (despite being the largest of the bunch), and cramped second-row seating. The fact that the Edmund's test car was a base FWD model didn't help either.

Tied for second place were the GLK350 and Q5, both praised for their power, ride, and handling. The Mercedes came up short in overall utility, while the Audi took some hits for its electric power steering.

According to the testers, the XC60 "won by a hair" thanks to its generous cargo capacity, second-row comfort, and "safety features galore." While the Swede offered plenty of power, it suffered from poor fuel economy and less-than-satisfying handling. So, how did a not-fun-to-drive Volvo CUV climb to the top of the comparison (one that Edmunds says, "none of our editors would personally choose")? You'll have to read their story to find out.

Gallery: 2010 Volvo XC60

01-volvo-xc60_thumbnail.jpg02-volvo-xc60_thumbnail.jpg03-volvo-xc60_thumbnail.jpg04-volvo-xc60_thumbnail.jpg05-volvo-xc60_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Edmunds]

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2009/08/comparison-test-audi-q5-cadillac-srx-mercedes-benz-glk350-volvo-xc60.html

Edmunds praises Volvo XC60, pans Cadillac SRX in new entry-lux CUV comparo originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=is_2V1r7zzk:5tSRBtWcxiM:wF9xT autoblog?i=is_2V1r7zzk:5tSRBtWcxiM:V_sGL
is_2V1r7zzk

View the full article

Not everybody can love the SRX. It's like the Bandit. He thought that everybody should love him, but as frog said "Bo, you aren't baseball or mom's apple pie"

Well this isn't the first time the 3.0 has been complained about, nor the ride harshness. The 3.0 really does seem like a dog. It should be the 2.8T and the 3.6DI.

That's a shame. Cadillac had better fix the powertrains if it wants to avoid another SRX flop.

This comparison is more than slanted though. The Cadillac isn't even anywhere near as equipped or expensive. I hate it when rags compare vehicles that are on opposite ends of the pricing spectrum. I want to see how the SRX with the 2.8T and similar options will do against loaded competition, not how a base model will do.

Holy price discrepencies, Batman! Comparing a base model Cadillac with loaded competitors!?

Who approved this garbage? I'd have no qualms if the SRX came last as long as it had a reasonable list of options that would put it in line with the competitors, but this reeks of bias, or idiocy. A ten year old with basic math skills would realize the cards were stacked against the SRX right from the get go if they looked at the pricing. .

Holy price discrepencies, Batman! Comparing a base model Cadillac with loaded competitors!?

Who approved this garbage? I'd have no qualms if the SRX came last as long as it had a reasonable list of options that would put it in line with the competitors, but this reeks of bias, or idiocy. A ten year old with basic math skills would realize the cards were stacked against the SRX right from the get go if they looked at the pricing. .

This is how it works:

1) Ask GM for specific SRX to test.

2) GM doesn't have one available for you to test with (unfortunate and not really acceptable, but it happens)

3) Punish offending car maker for not having said vehicle available.

The fact that the 2.8T version of the SRX is priced among the top of its competition really gets to say that GM has confidence in this vehicle. FE3 is a great suspension and it is better than the suspensions of the BMW's I have driven. Overall it is a great vehicle which would be better off without the 3.0.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0