NewsFeeder

Motor Authority: Cadillac Drops Europe-Only BLS

16 posts in this topic

2006_cadillac_bls_100010368_t.gif Cadillac knows its future must include small cars, especially if it wants to be considered a global player, but parent company General Motors' financial woes means that it has had to pare back some of its more ambitious plans. This included scaling back some of Cadillac's original European expansion plans and putting on hold development of ...

View the full article

Cadillac knows its future must include small cars, especially if it wants to be considered a global player, but parent company General Motors’ financial woes means that it has had to pare back some of its more ambitious plans. This included scaling back some of Cadillac’s original European expansion plans and putting on hold development of a new diesel powerplant.

However, plans for a new rear-wheel-drive compact sedan to compete with the likes of the BMW 3-Series and Audi A4 appear to be still on track. This new compact model, rumored to be called the ATS, is expected to go on sale in the next couple of years as a global model.

While in the U.S. the car will form a new entry-level point for Cadillac, in Europe the car will replace the poor selling BLS. The BLS was first launched in Europe back in 2006 and only managed to rack up 7,356 units of sales since then through 2008. Cadillac has since disposed of the BLS.

As for the car’s replacement, new Cadillac general manager Bryan Nesbitt confirmed that a new “high-performance” small car was in the works, not just for Europe, but for all of our markets.

The BLS was such a waste of money. It looked awful and no one bought it--did they seriously think they could take on BMW with that thing?

Why did it take GM so long to figure out Alpha was the way to go, and Epsilon wasn't? How much money does GM waste with these decisions that are "cheaper" just to kill the car 2 years later, and still have to take the "more expensive" but right way later on?

They should have just skipped the BLS, and put whatever money spent on that into speeding up development of Alpha.

Why did it take GM so long to figure out Alpha was the way to go, and Epsilon wasn't? How much money does GM waste with these decisions that are "cheaper" just to kill the car 2 years later, and still have to take the "more expensive" but right way later on?

They should have just skipped the BLS, and put whatever money spent on that into speeding up development of Alpha.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I guess for years, the bean counters have dominated the product decisions..

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I guess for years, the bean counters have dominated the product decisions..

They still do.

i've always liked the 9-3, but the looks of the BLS in comparison are kind of neat. It would be a hoot to have one here as a collector piece. It'd be a nice commuter car.

i've always liked the 9-3, but the looks of the BLS in comparison are kind of neat. It would be a hoot to have one here as a collector piece. It'd be a nice commuter car.

Well, it does have the unique quality of perhaps being the only Cadillac model in history not designed for the US market. (not counting the Chinese SLS, that is a variation of the STS).

Rob

Quick fix remedy without a proper follow up plan results in this. The ones I saw in Trollhättan were not that bad looking... But something like a mini-CTS with RWD proportions would definitely look better.

well, I like how the 9-3 drives, and i don't mind the cadillac creases applied to it. i wonder if a person could sneak one in the country......

we let thousands into this country illegally but can't get one car past the fed goalies.

they did a nice rework of the 9-3 interior.....

103.jpg

Edited by regfootball

They still do.

And that's what needs to be rectified with extreme prejudice...

well, I like how the 9-3 drives, and i don't mind the cadillac creases applied to it. i wonder if a person could sneak one in the country......

we let thousands into this country illegally but can't get one car past the fed goalies.

103.jpg

I have always liked that interior. However it kept so many Saab parts that it did nothing to help fool the consumers that this wasn't just a 9-3 with creases.

I have always liked that interior. However it kept so many Saab parts that it did nothing to help fuel the consumers that this wasn't just a 9-3 with creases.

True, and I have a feeling that European customers tend to know their cars inside and out better than most US consumers.

103.jpg

Yeah that's the truth about Illegals Cars & People

Where's the ignition sw. on that BLS at?

Duh enlarged found it on dash unlike Saab. Still what you'd expect of a Rebadge huh :rolleyes:

Edited by 67impss

think there's a way to smuggle one of these in the country?

or, better yet, is there a way to do a camino-like transplant job on a saab?

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room