NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - What a difference 60 degrees makes

6 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrid, Sedan, Ford, Reviews

fusion-hybrid---01_opt.jpg
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Click above for high-res image gallery

Recently, we had our third opportunity to drive the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Actually, the last go around was with a Mercury Milan Hybrid, but aside from a different nose and fanny, it is the same car. Even though we did a full review of the Milan, we asked Ford for another go around because of the difference in fuel efficiency compared to the first drive we did last December in California. We managed to achieve 43.1 mpg driving around Hollywood, beating the EPA city rating of 41. But back home in Michigan, a week of driving around Ann Arbor yielded only 29.4 mpg with the first several days actually barely managing to crack 27 mpg.

Why the big drop? It wasn't that we drove the Milan like a race car, although the Fusion and Milan do have some very nice dynamic properties. No, this was all about climate. While the temperatures in Hollywood were a very temperate mid-70s in December, six weeks later in Michigan, we were barely breaking out of the teens with overnight and early morning temps in the single-digit range. What we're about to say is heresy to the hybrid true believers, but hybrids are not the best solution for every driving condition. Find out why after the jump.

Photos copyright ©2009 Sam Abuelsamid / Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - What a difference 60 degrees makes

Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - What a difference 60 degrees makes originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=bC-hGJwpRCE:pAYjlymSfhI:wF9xT autoblog?i=bC-hGJwpRCE:pAYjlymSfhI:V_sGL
bC-hGJwpRCE

View the full article

This is true of non-hybrids too. Engines run best when they're at operating temp. Until then they use more gas. During the cold weather engines take a longer time to get to operating temp, hence they'll use more gas for a longer period of time, so MPGs suffer.

This is true of non-hybrids too. Engines run best when they're at operating temp. Until then they use more gas. During the cold weather engines take a longer time to get to operating temp, hence they'll use more gas for a longer period of time, so MPGs suffer.

True, but the difference will typically be a couple mpg, not the much larger difference they saw in the hybrid.

I've already seen a bunch of these around, especially the hybrid.

True, but the difference will typically be a couple mpg, not the much larger difference they saw in the hybrid.

I routinely get 15% worse fuel economy in the Winter with my non-hybrid. Although my winters are a bit colder than what is mentioned in the article.

If you read the linked article, their attempt at a comparison test (although it wasn't an exact comparison) resulted in 38MPG in warm weather and 29.4 in cold. That is 22%. However the total % change may appear more significant than the total fuel use change. e.g. on a trip of of 40 miles, a car getting 17MPG vs 20MPG would use .35 more gallons where as the hybrid getting 29.4MPG vs 38MPG would use only .31 more gallons.

This is going to be a problem for the Volt in cold weather. Many people who have short commutes may end up running the ICE all the time to keep warm. They are going to have trouble hitting 230 MPG.

This is going to be a problem for the Volt in cold weather. Many people who have short commutes may end up running the ICE all the time to keep warm. They are going to have trouble hitting 230 MPG.

Many owners will have the volt garaged and plugged in. That could make quite a difference in the morning commute. However coming home in the evening and the dark, may be as you fear?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room