Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

BREAKING: GM cancels Buick VUE crossover before birth, will add PHEV drivetrain to another vehicle

30 posts in this topic

BREAKING: GM cancels Buick crossover before birth, will add PHEV drivetrain to another vehicle

enclave_cross_phev.jpgSurprising news comes by way of General Motors today as the automaker has already canceled its recently announced Buick crossover, which in reality was little more than an ex-Saturn Vue emblazoned with Buick's trademark chrome waterfall grille. And therein lies the rub. As confirmed to Autoblog by Michelle Bunker, Manager of Buick Communications, initial feedback from the media, employees and dealerships regarding the upcoming vehicle was almost universally negative, as the product just didn't seem to fit with the direction the automaker said it was taking the Buick brand. As a result, GM has apparently canceled the program.

more here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/19/breakin...v-drivetrain-t/

smk4565    321

That actually makes sense. GM has too many crossovers anyway. If Chevy and GMC have SUVs, why does Buick need a clone of their SUV. The Buick-GMC thing really only works if Buick does cars and GMC does trucks. If Buick makes SUVs, they don't need GMC, especially since Chevy already sells every GMC product.

NewsFeeder    9

500x_504x_Buick_2-Mode_Plug_In_Hybrid.jpNews today Buick will kill the planned Saturn Vue-platformed plug-in-hybrid-electric crossover comes as no surprise to the consumers and journalists who saw it in person. The "Vue-ick" was horrifyingly atrocious. Now we've uncovered news GM killed it because of Twitter.

We spoke with two unnamed sources at GM, one in design and one in marketing. Both told us the same thing — the Buick crossover was killed after higher-ups read tweets decrying the styling of the plug-in electric platform prostitute of a crossover. Specifically, conversations like the following:

500x_Vue-ick_1.jpg

500x_Vue-ick_2.jpg
Which echo comments from "consumers" that were also in attendance at the events of last week:
500x_Vue-ick_3.jpg

So what does this mean? It means GM's actually listening to people providing feedback and in this case, the, as GM spokesman Jim Hopson told us moments ago, "the overwhelmingly negative response to this vehicle coming out of this event." So there you go kids, join Twitter, and you too can help GM decide which vehicles to build and which vehicles not to build.

Also, you can probably hear about people getting to work, buying a coffee and other asinine and useless information.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=3hc_XlM_w3c:zndsRSZwhLM:D7DqB2pKE full?i=3hc_XlM_w3c:zndsRSZwhLM:V_sGLiPBp
3hc_XlM_w3c

View the full article

That actually makes sense. GM has too many crossovers anyway. If Chevy and GMC have SUVs, why does Buick need a clone of their SUV. The Buick-GMC thing really only works if Buick does cars and GMC does trucks. If Buick makes SUVs, they don't need GMC, especially since Chevy already sells every GMC product.

Especially since Buick and GMC are in the same dealer! Let GMC have the crossovers, SUVs, and trucks, and Buick focus on cars. Though the Enclave does seem substantially differentiated from the Arcadia.

Cadillac probably wasn't happy either--a midsize Buick crossover could eat sales from the SRX.

Rob

Just a heads up, there is no r in Acadia.

Ah, yeah...I can never remember if it's Acacia, Acadia, or Arcadia. All are place names, amongst other definitions.

Rob

CSpec    515

Interesting. I never liked the VUE styling anyway (the front overhang is way too long and it's too narrow), so I'm not surprised that the Buick version wasn't a looker. Hopefully they come up with something cool in its place.

regfootball    234
They shouldn't cancel it, they should give it a proper reskin.

x2.

actually, i think the success of the equinox (try to find one! all the dealers sell them in days) to me says they will take some time and make a Buick version of the Equinox. OR.....they will wait a bit, maybe we will see an Epsilon 2 row buick rendezvue.

also this says to me GM will be building vues for saturn a little longer than originally thought.

Drew Dowdell    4,981

As if other manufacturers never canceled a vehicle early in development.

Where's that Supra Toyota? On again off again.....

Where's that NSX Honda?

I'm ok with this vehicle being ZOMG ITS TEH SHELVED!!!! My guess was work started on this before the bankruptcy but after it was announced that Saturn would be up for sale. Which means this is actually a leftover from "Old GM"

It was a half baked badge job and that really isn't what Buick needs right now. It was the right call to kill it.

Bimmer325    18
Surprising news comes by way of General Motors today as the automaker has already canceled its recently announced Buick crossover, which in reality was little more than an ex-Saturn Vue emblazoned with Buick's trademark chrome waterfall grille. And therein lies the rub. As confirmed to Autoblog by Michelle Bunker, Manager of Buick Communications, initial feedback from the media, employees and dealerships regarding the upcoming vehicle was almost universally negative, as the product just didn't seem to fit with the direction the automaker said it was taking the Buick brand. As a result, GM has apparently canceled the program.

This is what I don't understand. Why does it take negative feedback from the media, dealerships and other employees for GM management to realize that a straight rebadged Saturn probably isn't that great of an idea for Buick? Especially after the company claims it's done rebadging products.

Intrepidation    846

It should have never been considered in the first place. After Fritz hates badge engineering and such, it shouldn't have made it past the proposal.

Either way I'm glad it's canceled. Three "small" crossovers are enough, four if you count the Saab.

daves87rs    326

+2

The O.C.    2
This is what I don't understand. Why does it take negative feedback from the media, dealerships and other employees for GM management to realize that a straight rebadged Saturn probably isn't that great of an idea for Buick? Especially after the company claims it's done rebadging products.

LOL...good point......

PurdueGuy    72
I thought this was going to be aveo based or something like that?

You're thinking of a different vehicle, and that vehicle is based off the same platform as the Aveo, it is not based off the Aveo itself. Big difference (hopefully).

Edited by PurdueGuy

Blake Noble    146

This too.

GMC Terrain PEV Hybrid anyone?

Bingo. I hope that is, in fact, what we will see.

Edited by whiteknight

PurdueGuy    72

From the GM statement on Fastlane:

And we decided that the important plug-in hybrid technology would be applied to another vehicle, at no delay, that we’ll discuss in the very near future.

Of course "at no delay" could be restated as "at no further delay" since the plug-in Vue was supposed to be out already.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this