Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Toyota's "Harmony Floralscapes" bloom along LA, SF highways

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrid, Etc., Marketing/Advertising, Toyota

toyota-harmony-flowers-630.jpg Toyota's "Harmony Floralscape" - Click above for high-res image gallery

Toyota's TV ads for the 2010 Prius feature a world of flowers blooming whenever the iconic hybrid drives by. This visual message is now available in the physical world thanks to a living ad designed by Greenroad Media. Toyota is installing flowerbeds in the shape of the Prius along busy Los Angeles freeways, with the first unveiled yesterday along the Pasadena Freeway near downtown. Called a "floralscape," the image of a Prius in a sunrise is the first of nine that will promote the Prius around LA and in San Francisco.

The floralscape uses about 20,000 blooms from living flowers to make a 30' by 60' image. The green-ness of the ad extends to the solar energy and "ecologically responsible insect and fungi control" used to make the image. What's odd is that federal regulations require the floralscapes be non-commercial - no company names or logos are allowed - yet this is obviously an ad for the Prius. Somehow, the abstract nature of the flowerbeds allows them to be approved by California's department of transportation, Caltrans, and they are therefore okay to plant. Said another way, it's an ad that isn't an ad, but it really is.

[source: Toyota]

Continue reading Toyota's "Harmony Floralscapes" bloom along LA, SF highways

Toyota's "Harmony Floralscapes" bloom along LA, SF highways originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:39:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=c_8-PGgRIy4:jF1iCUf3kU4:wF9xT autoblog?i=c_8-PGgRIy4:jF1iCUf3kU4:V_sGL
c_8-PGgRIy4

View the full article

Shame on Caltrans for allowing this!

As Caltrans basically allows everything else to DIE on the freeways because we are in a SERIOUS WATER SHORTAGE (ESPECIALLY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

They INSTALL a ring of brand new sprinklers around the advertisement to water it!!!

Why don't they have the prius's magical water generator water those flowers!!

Letter just sent to CALTRANS

Normally, I am very supportive of Caltrans and the projects that are undertaken and completed by you. However, it has come to my attention that Caltrans has allowed Toyota to plant flowerbeds in LA and SF that depict a Toyota Prius in harmony with the world. Regardless of what the regulations are with advertising on government property, I am very unhappy with the fact that there are brand new sprinklers that are installed to maintain the flowers in a time when most of the freeway vegetation where I live (Fresno) is dead as well as in many other areas because of the severe drought. People do not have jobs because there is not enough water. I feel that it is in very poor taste to allow a company to create this sham advertisement and Caltrans allows it to be watered with new sprinklers specifically placed for the ad with water that doesn't need to be wasted.

I have mixed feelings about this. There's that uneasy commercial aspect of it, but on the positive side, they are not blatant advertisements and will beautify the freeway. They are also using solar power and reclaimed water, so they are ecologically responsible.

I have mixed feelings about this. There's that uneasy commercial aspect of it, but on the positive side, they are not blatant advertisements and will beautify the freeway. They are also using solar power and reclaimed water, so they are ecologically responsible.

Gee...I hope the traffic is crawling on the stretches of road where these ads are planted so that people do not attempt to interpret the abstract image captured in the flowers while trying to reload thier 9 mm while sipping a non-fat tripple foamed soy latte at speed.

And if these cause an accident, who gets sued? Caltrans or Toyota?

<cynicism>

Ah, Toyota. Doing their part to create a shiny happy pollution free green world of shiny happy people in their Priuses enjoying blue skies and sunshine.

</cynicism>

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

hehe... i got the round up, if you've the time...

That would be great! OR even better: Alter the image to look as if the prius was crushed into a cube!! :scratchchin:

This reminds me a little bit of the musical road that Honda put in Lancaster, CA, on a city street:

Youtube Link

The reality is that governmental transportation agencies can no longer do business as usual as gas taxes are insufficient to maintain the existing transportation infrastructure. Arnold has been big on pushing "public-private partnerships", and there are more to come. That's also why there has been a big push in placing color changeable message signs on freeways that would show advertisements. It's a terrible idea, but the reason the State of California is even considering it is because the State would not have to pay for or maintain the signs and may even make some money off them.

The funny part to me is that the vehicles that happened to be in the picture are:

Chevrolet Impala

Dodge Caliber

Ford Crown Victoria

Ford Ranger

Ford Expedition or F-150.

Guys, the one along the Pasadena Fwy won't last long...it'll be tagged up with graffiti or killed by homeless urination. I'm going to drive by it later today just to see how sad a shape it's in.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0