Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Personality types

I've done Myers-Briggs a couple times...ESTJ, not 100% sure that it describes me. I worked at one company where everyone had their code posted on the Wiki w/ their profile.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I've done Myers-Briggs a couple times...ESTJ, not 100% sure that it describes me. I worked at one company where everyone had their code posted on the Wiki w/ their profile.

I get this one, too. However, the results are scaled. I tip into the "E" category by a slim margin. I guess figuring out there are so many jerks in this world, it's easier to be "I" than "E."

I get this one, too. However, the results are scaled. I tip into the "E" category by a slim margin. I guess figuring out there are so many jerks in this world, it's easier to be "I" than "E."

The 'E' always surprises me.... I've thought before that I'm an extroverted introvert. i.e. I'm sociable in groups, enjoy groups, but do like to do my own thing and value my personal time..

Rob

I'm ISTJ, and I think it describes me to a T - realistic, loyal, and calm.

Funny thing about this is, I had to take this test for a class this past semester. A friend I met in that class scored almost exactly the same as I; we got the same letters and we scored within 2-3 points of each other in 3 of the 4 categories.

I'm ISTJ, and I think it describes me to a T - realistic, loyal, and calm.

Funny thing about this is, I had to take this test for a class this past semester. A friend I met in that class scored almost exactly the same as I; we got the same letters and we scored within 2-3 points of each other in 3 of the 4 categories.

Since I'm only 1 point over into E, I'll go with ISTJ for myself. I think it's a good category and I like what the profile indicates. For some reason, the big movers and shakers in this world supposedly test as ENTJs, with the people who do their work for them testing as ESTJs.

Since I'm only 1 point over into E, I'll go with ISTJ for myself. I think it's a good category and I like what the profile indicates. For some reason, the big movers and shakers in this world supposedly test as ENTJs, with the people who do their work for them testing as ESTJs.

The last one I did I was 1 point over into E also.

Rob

I'm an ISTJ

Just took it again...hadn't done this in about 6 months.

It said ISTJ.

Yeah, this is more like it, moving into I at +12, instead of E at +1. All I need is an "N" and I can be an architect. LOL.

I'm just happy to see that I'm not as crazy as I thought.... LOL.

I made my GF read it because she often says she doesn't understand me and why I can be so cold and untrusting sometimes. In fact, that's what made me revisit the test. I took the complete test about a year ago for employment and was told that my personality type was rare. But I didn't look into it any because I wasn't that interested in it at the time.

Then I took the mini version on Facebook about a week ago just for fun. I pulled out my official results from last year and discovered that the FB version was accurate. (Neat-o!)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I told a co-worker about this. He took it and got ESTJ ... no surprise there.

All of my friends over the years have been in very practical occupations and were probably ESTJs or ISTJs.

The website goes on to say how the *-NFP type complements the ESTJ or ISTJ type. I don't know about this. I would see it as a headache.

ISTJs are your engineers, accountants, pharmacists, etc, etc....people involved in precise detailed stuff, but the TJ part gives them some managerial aspects.

I have two good friends who have gone into the medical profession. One is a pharmacist and the other is an animal scientist. One is a social-moron, meaning he doesn't quite know how to relate with people in a 'normal' sense. Never had a girl friend but keeps talking about the time over ten years ago when a girl sat in his lap at a volleyball tournament party. He drinks because drinking is fun and seems to think I'm interested in his stories about how he can out-drink some annoying, know-it-all engineers. (We have a thing against some engineers out there)

The other is married with one child, outgoing quality and extremely funny. He played in a band as their lead singer and always enjoys a good time out. He doesn't go wild but he knows where the limit to a good time is and can stay there all night long.

I think anyone can develop personality traits and not be restricted to the type of person they are at the time. A co-manager at one of my last jobs became a pharmacist after flying commercial jets! At the same time, he went from being a strict and stiff urbanite to riding mountain bikes and kayaking every moment he gets. The only time he ever left the country was in the cockpit of a plane. Now he goes on vacation just to ride his bike across Italy. Quite a turnaround.

Edited by ShadowDog

I have two good friends who have gone into the medical profession. One is a pharmacist and the other is an animal scientist. One is a social-moron, meaning he doesn't quite know how to relate with people in a 'normal' sense. Never had a girl friend but keeps talking about the time over ten years ago when a girl sat in his lap at a volleyball tournament party. He drinks because drinking is fun and seems to think I'm interested in his stories about how he can out-drink some annoying, know-it-all engineers. (We have a thing against some engineers out there)

The other is married with one child, outgoing quality and extremely funny. He played in a band as their lead singer and always enjoys a good time out. He doesn't go wild but he knows where the limit to a good time is and can stay there all night long.

I think anyone can develop personality traits and not be restricted to the type of person they are at the time. A co-manager at one of my last jobs became a pharmacist after flying commercial jets! At the same time, he went from being a strict and stiff urbanite to riding mountain bikes and kayaking every moment he gets. The only time he ever left the country was in the cockpit of a plane. Now he goes on vacation just to ride his bike across Italy. Quite a turnaround.

That's where learning differs from inborn traits IMO. For example, as an INFJ, I'm not terribly trusting. However, I've learned how to appear "trusting" to people despite how I truly feel about them.

Just my .02

Labels enslave.

they do. and its unfair.

but humans also need mechanisms to make judgements on others without taking the time of years to get to know one another.

its too much easier for our species to fall back on generalizations and looks and run with that because it eliminates the labor of having to sift through everyone to find what we like.

i think it sucks too.

they did these at my work, and they basically used it to label people and slot people into either confirming their preconceived notions of each of us, or to use that new label to put us down.

the guy that administered the test where i worked told me to my face in front of a crowd that my personality the way it was i didn't belong in my industry doing what i do.

i wanted to f-cking clock him.

But labels can also unite a promote a sense of esprit de corps.

I look at it that these labels were probably evaluated over and over before the research got released and this stuff became widely used. I am definitely ESTJ/ISTJ and reading the description of the Myers-Briggs types is interesting. The *NFP's don't describe me.

Right, like reg said, when they use this to label you at work and HR/management makes it fairly public, then that's not cool. At the last firm I worked for, they did Emergenitcs profiling. There were 4 aspects: conceptual, social, analytical, structured. It's done so the 4 areas total 100%. A few of us got close to 25% on each of these, which is considered good. The head honcho and a widely disliked bitch in middle management got less than 5% and 5-10% on social, respectively. Oh yeah, people posted these on their doors or at the entrance to their cubicles. One guy with a 67% conceptual worked for me (he talked like a stoner, good material for imitations)...and he was worthless ... too 'effin conceptual to do the detailed work that was assigned to him. But to avoid getting him in trouble, I took back his incomplete work and completed it.

The less than 5% prick that ran the place was Machiavellian to the point of diminishing returns. All of his most talented workers eventually left the firm. Not only that, he was self-righteous about his involvement in his parish and how many kids he had. So, yes, for this motley crew, the Emergentics profiling seemed to work. And the Myers-Briggs we are talking about probably works as well. Also, these are mostly used for career exploration in school/college...they shouldn't be doing these at work on people they've already hired, IMO.

Edited by trinacriabob

Agreed on the HR issues. If I were reg, I wouldve been highly pissed as well.

I'm a bit annoyed at this whole concept today. I've been looking for work for 6 months now, had a promising lead, and was subsequently profiled out of the job because the firm apparently thinks that selling is an innate trait as opposed to something that can be learned.

... Sigh ...