Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Could you still pass a driving test? Take this quiz and find out

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Safety, Humor

driving_test_2_580.jpg

If you are like most of us, you look back at your first DMV-issued driving test - that one you took with a dull nub of a pencil while standing in a crowded room - and remember racking your brain over questions that not only made no sense, but some that were downright confusing. Whether we approve of the age-old process or not, everyone eventually passes their first driving test (and it seems many forget everything the moment they hit the highways).

Now that you are well-seasoned driver with years (or decades) of experience under your seatbelt, and you know all the rules of the road, the folks over at AutoInsurance.org are offering you a chance to take a quick driving test all over again. Don't worry, this isn't a government-issued quiz (we can't recall our local DMV ever giving us a multiple-choice test with "flip him the bird" as a potential answer), and it won't count on your driving record. However, it will make you ponder about a few rules of the road that many of us have tossed into the cobweb-laden parts of our brains. Go ahead, take the test, and brag about your results in our comments section!

[source: AutoInsurance.org]

Could you still pass a driving test? Take this quiz and find out originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=7j2l2FmqqtY:Gs49DI0OUWg:wF9xT autoblog?i=7j2l2FmqqtY:Gs49DI0OUWg:V_sGL
7j2l2FmqqtY

View the full article

That test is bunk; it does not compensate for state, and some of the questions are very poorly worded. I don't know what states have a standard 20mph unless otherwise posted school zone speed limit, but Indiana and California are both 25, with some suburban areas down to 20.

The question about who should drive in the left lane on a multiple-laned road...well if it's a ROAD, anyone should be able to because of left turn pockets...but they claim it's only for passing vehicles--maybe on a freeway, but even then, that isn't the universal law. I still remember my driving test, and it was a lot different.

I agree, it's not very well worded or universal. Around here all of the school zones are 25 mph.

My learner's permit was a written test kind of like that, but my driver's test involved me actually driving a car.

That test is bunk; it does not compensate for state, and some of the questions are very poorly worded. I don't know what states have a standard 20mph unless otherwise posted school zone speed limit, but Indiana and California are both 25, with some suburban areas down to 20.

The question about who should drive in the left lane on a multiple-laned road...well if it's a ROAD, anyone should be able to because of left turn pockets...but they claim it's only for passing vehicles--maybe on a freeway, but even then, that isn't the universal law. I still remember my driving test, and it was a lot different.

OK I'll admit.......I got a D+......LOL.....but it's because, just like Croc said, many of the questions are very misleading.....like the school zone speed limit (I also answered 25mph.) Plus I missed the "feet" questions.....like how many feet can you follow a fire truck and how many feet can you park from a stopping sign.....who cares about that $h!....lol

At least in my opinion, I got the important ones right......

I was in Flordia, and the school zone speed was 15 mph there. :rolleyes:

The firetruck one is easy: DONT FOLLOW IT!

Stop sign one: DONT PARK NEXT TO IT!

OK I'll admit.......I got a D+......LOL.....but it's because, just like Croc said, many of the questions are very misleading.....like the school zone speed limit (I also answered 25mph.) Plus I missed the "feet" questions.....like how many feet can you follow a fire truck and how many feet can you park from a stopping sign.....who cares about that $h!....lol

I got a 67% D+.. I missed the school zone speed limit and the "feet" questions also, and the one about being passed by a truck.

Reflecting back on my driving road test, I remember how much time I put into learning to parallel park. But over the last 20 years, parallel parking has been quite a rarity in my life...it always seems I park in a lot or if downtown in a city, in a garage. I can't recall the last time I parallel parked...

Rob

I parallel park all the time, and it still isn't great...but the 2nd gen Aurora is VERY difficult to approximate dimensions-wise. Very rounded and bulbous, and a short decklid you cannot see from the rear windshield.

When I took my driving test, the only question I missed was the one about how many feet it takes a fully-loaded semi to stop. I really wonder what state this mock test was based on, because it sure as hell wasn't California or Indiana. California is easy...you can't park where the curb is red or where signs prohibit (there are ALWAYS signs), and you can only park in yellow zones on Sundays. Green is either temporary or permit-only parking, and blue is handicap. Indiana...well, it has been suggested that Hoosiers metaphorically dance to bagpipes, and I cannot counter that.

What the hell, feet? I've always been told that you should measure your following distance in seconds (at least 2-3, or 4-6 in inclement weather), regardless of the vehicle.

I got a 78%...in Iowa 25 mph is a school zone, so technically I should have only missed 4. The ones I missed were the hand signal, the drunk driving percentage, and the first pedestrian right of way question.

Edited by mustang84

I parallel park all the time, and it still isn't great...but the 2nd gen Aurora is VERY difficult to approximate dimensions-wise. Very rounded and bulbous, and a short decklid you cannot see from the rear windshield.

I hear you. I'm pretty good at parallel parking but I do not like doing it in my car. It's a big car and has pretty good sized blind spots out the back.

I love parking the Prizm, It's easy to parallel park and can fit in tights pots. I also love parking it in normal spots. It's very much a point and squirt kind of thing. No need to plan it out like I have to in the Intrepid. That, and it doesn't do 3-point turns. It's turning circle is so small it can just turn all the way around on side roads. Small cars rock in that sense.

No, it IS universal. Its part of the basic driving law... "Keep right, pass left". What is not universal is enforcement and awareness.

It does matter, but these vary per state. In NJ its 50 feet behind a stop sign. In NYC, you can park right in front of it. If you don't like getting tickets, you should at least know, even if you don't always obey the following distance on an emergency vehicle. In NYC, its 300 feet.

I got these two wrong. Otherwise, I got the rest. I didn't think they were too misleading, but they are likely specific to a particular state.

I can parallel park a 40' bus and a semi trailer.

I was going to say... THATS parallel parking. I have parallel parked my 25 foot motorhome, a 25 foot moving truck and several delivery trucks.

No, it IS universal. Its part of the basic driving law... "Keep right, pass left". What is not universal is enforcement and awareness.

No, it isn't. "Pass lanes" are always on the left, but not every left-most lane is only for passing. "All A is B, but not all B is A." Yes, slower traffic should be right, and faster-moving traffic left, but that only really applies to highways/freeways, not just any old "multilaned road," as the question stated. You have a 5 lane road (2+TWLTL+2) and you're going to tell me the inner travel lanes weren't intended for continuous use? Trust me, they are. Drive on Wilshire Bl., Broadway, Sunset Bl, Santa Monica Bl, or Olympic Bl...every single one of those are large, 4- to 8-lane roads that were clearly designed for continuous use of all lanes. Even on the freeways it gets complicated because in order for a carpool lane-eligible vehicle to enter the carpool lanes, they must be driving in the left-most mixed-flow lane so they can merge into the carpool lane at the designated points. "Keep right except to pass" is not universal. In some states it is simply good driver ettiquette, but not law. In California, for example, the vehicle code only states that slower-moving vehicles should stay right, but the use of the left lane is NOT restricted simply for passing:

Section 21654:

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic... except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

© The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

Furthermore, the California Driving Handbook beginning on pg. 25 says (emphasis added):

Choosing a Lane

Traffic lanes are often referred to by number. The left or “fast” lane is called the “No. 1 Lane.” The lanes to the right of the No. 1 lane are called the No. 2 lane, then the No. 3 lane, etc.

Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane. If there are only two lanes in your direction, pick the right lane for the smoothest driving.

Seems pretty clear to me that "left lane is only for passing" is NOT universal.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0