Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM's Lutz confirms Buick Regal is back

41 posts in this topic

500x_Buick_Regal_China.jpgLost in last week's GM product news was a spicy morsel from the Detroit News. According to Scott Burgess, GM's "Maximum" Bob Lutz confirmed Buick will reveal the Regal this year as a rebadged Opel Insignia. But whither the GNX?

We already knew the Opel Insignia's being rebadged as a Buick Regal for the Chinese market (shown above is the 2009 version), but if Burgess' quotes from Lutz are correct, it means the rumors — and previous off the record quotes from "nameless GM executives" — of the Insignia being rebadged as a Regal for the U.S. market are true. It also explains why outlets have spotted the Chinese Regal being tested on American soil.

more at link:

http://jalopnik.com/5342552/gms-lutz-confi...k-regal-is-back

For some reason, I think GM should have been doing the Opel to Buick thing a long time ago.

Now they just need to get the whole porthole mess cleared up. I don't understand why GM isn't sure if the car is going to get them, I haven't heard anything but positive feedback on the return of portholes.

Now they just need to get the whole porthole mess cleared up. I don't understand why GM isn't sure if the car is going to get them, I haven't heard anything but positive feedback on the return of portholes.

Ya, they need to be consistent and use 'em on all Buicks, on the side of the hood or fender. Maybe 2 for a 4cyl, 3 for a V6, and 4 for a 'Super' trim level.

I assume you're not being ironic?

images60opel.jpg

You know, there seems to be a curse that Opel places upon every brand it attaches to.

The Opel-Buick relationship failed in the '50s, '60s, and '70s, with Opels being no longer sold through Buick dealers.

The Opel-Saturn relationship only lasted 3 years. Saturn is now no longer a part of the GM empire.

Now the Opel-Buick relationship is back on, with certain Opel models dressing up like Buicks in the same fashion they did to become Saturns. I wonder, what is going happen with the Opel-Buick relationship this time?

Just came up with a great commercial idea for Buick.

Closeup of fake portholes, zoom out to a riced out Civic in some need for speed looking setting. Techno music playing in background.

Closeup of fake portholes zoom out to a blinged out mid-90s Infiniti Q in an urban setting, hippity hoppity music playing in the background.

Closeup of fake portholes, zoom out to a red Dodge Ram on a ranch complete with cowboy hat wearing guy, country music plays in the background.

Lexus like voice over "There will always be imitators...."

Closeup of Buick portholes, zoom out to (insert Buick model name here) with a classy couple getting in their Buick, classy electro-jazz playing in the background that becomes Buick's "theme song"

"but there is only one original. The Regal/Enclave/Lacrosse/Lucerne by Buick."

> I like that one, Olds!

> VentiPorts need to stay, they're long established as 'signature' (even tho my Buick is one of the few without them!)

> I wouldn't call the '58-70s Opel relationshsip a 'failure', tho I will say I've seen FAR more '58 Buicks than '58 Opels over time. Opel made a big deal about it's 1,000,000th Opel circa '59, but this cannot have been the millionth imported, because not even most Buick dealers were paired with Opel. And they didn't seem to take off with the Rambler/ GM compacts/ VW bubble inthe early '60s, either.

>I dislike the idea of tying VentiPort # to cylinders- that was never the system before and I find the simplistic nature of doing so idealistically 'cheap'. Buick has been above that and should continue to do so.

The Opel-Saturn relationship only lasted 3 years. Saturn is now no longer a part of the GM empire.

3yrs may be a stretch. The only true Opels that Saturn had were the Astra and 3rd gen Vue, and both of those are only 2 model year vehicles at this point (the Astra only being sold as '08's in the States). The Aura is much more a sibling to the G6 and Malibu than the Vectra it was styled to resemble.

Technically, Saturn is still part of GM, as the Penske deal isn't final yet, but I believe it should be coming to a close soon.

1) I'm getting tired of the misuse of "rebadge" in order to try and undermine GM.

2) This is OLD news. Who DIDN'T know that the Regal was coming?

3yrs may be a stretch. The only true Opels that Saturn had were the Astra and 3rd gen Vue, and both of those are only 2 model year vehicles at this point (the Astra only being sold as '08's in the States). The Aura is much more a sibling to the G6 and Malibu than the Vectra it was styled to resemble.

I know the Aura wasn't the same car as the Vectra, but I think both cars had commonality somewhere in their respective designs. I believe it might have been the headlamps, although I'm not sure.

I'm also pretty sure the Aura's design came out of Opel's studios as well.

There's an Opel connection somewhere with the Aura, I just can't remember exactly what.

Technically, Saturn is still part of GM, as the Penske deal isn't final yet, but I believe it should be coming to a close soon.

Yes, technically it is at the moment, but what's the point in denying what's inevitable?

Edited by whiteknight

I just hope our Regal is closer to the European Insignia, especially the OPC/VXR, than it is to the Chinese market Regal, which looks like a snoozefest with its raised suspension, conservative front fascia, and tacked on chrome fender trim.

The term "rebadge" is technically true of this car, but it is not effectively true, as the Opel is not sold here in the USA. As with the G8, I see no harm in this.

If Buick is to get younger and attempt to hold onto a slim percentage of Pontiac customers, cars like this will help. But it needs proper portholes, not a cliched fender vent thingy. Fender vents have become the dagmars of this decade.

We clamor for a sporty version of the US Regal, but GM has said the car will be priced below LaCrosse, and will be exclusively 4-cylinder... DI 2.4 and turbo 2.0 might work, but I will not hold my breath for the hot V6 version, nor the AWD.

Expectations diminished, as it were.

I would love to see an Insignia based Regal in Buick's U.S. lineup, but I think the car needs some serious front end revisions in its transition from Opel to Buick:

1) The Buick grille on the Chinese version of the Regal is too flat, wide, and low. I would prefer a shapelier grille that sits higher on the front end of this car, similar to the grille treatment and placement on the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse.

2) Get rid of the front fender vents on the Chinese version and install ventiports on the sides of the hood directly above the hood's cutline. The number of ventiports should not be related to the number of cylinders; there should be three on each side, just like the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse. Ventiports should be a styling element only, not an indication of cylinder count.

3) The only exterior elements that I would carry over from the Chinese version are the foglight treatment and the side view mirrors with the turn indicator lamps. The small turn indicator lamps on the front fenders of the Opel Insignia should not show up on the U.S. version of the Regal.

4) Other than these modifications, I think the rest of the exterior would be good to go.

As far as the interior, I would simply change all the red interior lighting to blue and use the glossy black piano trim finish (as opposed to the fake wood treatment) found in one of the Insignia's trim levels (or give customers a choice between glossy black, fake wood, or metallic trim finishes). I personally prefer the glossy black or metallic finishes; the fake wood looks too geriatric to me. I do know some people prefer the fake wood because it "warms up" the interior, though.

As far as engines, I think the DI 2.4L 4-cylinder would work as the base engine. A DI 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder would work as a more performance oriented option that would keep this car positioned below the 2010 LaCrosse.

The suspension settings should mirror the Insignia, instead of the sloppy Chinese Regal. The U.S. Buick Regal should be positioned as a sportier sedan with proper handling to support this position.

I am REALLY hoping they have an alternate engine for this car. The 2.8L V6 turbo sounds awesome and would be a great competitor for the new V6 TSX... maybe even the TL. I honestly hope they do right by this. If it's a DI 4-cylinder turbo, I'd be happy too.

I have high hopes for this. It won't be long before I'm car shopping and the LaCrosse in a year or two will prob be out of my price range, but this would be fine.

Am I not the only one here that finds calling this car the "Regal" a bit wierd...?

I mean, I like the Regal name and all.....but Regal was never an entry-level Buick. You had Skyhawk, Skylark, then Century, THEN Regal.....

And also......a 4-cyl only "Regal?"

I would rather have seen the new LaCrosse be renamed the Regal again......that would have fit much better.....especially considering the original LaCrosse was the car that replaced the last Regal.....

Am I not the only one here that finds calling this car the "Regal" a bit wierd...?

I mean, I like the Regal name and all.....but Regal was never an entry-level Buick. You had Skyhawk, Skylark, then Century, THEN Regal.....

Seems like the Regal is going to be the midrange Buick. The LaCrosse is going to be the flagship (since it's replacing both the old LaCrosse and the Lucerne eventually), and their is going to be a compact model based on the Astra below the Regal.

If Buick expects to gain traction with people under 60, they are going to have to have some sporty cars, especially now that Pontiac (I still cannot believe I am saying this $h!) is dead. A Regal coupe and a Delta II Buick coupe will be needed to help bring younger folks into showrooms.

You would be correct, 'blu.

Chris

You would be correct, 'blu.

Chris

Even if it's going to be 2.0T only, how about at least a sports package with OPC styling, interior, and suspension?

1) I'm getting tired of the misuse of "rebadge" in order to try and undermine GM.

2) This is OLD news. Who DIDN'T know that the Regal was coming?

the guys in the suits change their minds daily

And also......a 4-cyl only "Regal?"

I would rather have seen the new LaCrosse be renamed the Regal again......that would have fit much better.....especially considering the original LaCrosse was the car that replaced the last Regal.....

the regal in its day was a mid level aspirational vehicle for the young jet set. The lacrosse is definitely more of a stepup vehicle that the jet set who wants a CC volkswagen or a TSX will not look at. However, a 2.0 turbo regal with a 6 speed manual and knockout interior can almost play tit for tat with a VW CC or a The SeX TSX at a lower price.

the Buick Astra whatever they call it will be Buick's entry model.

Edited by regfootball

We clamor for a sporty version of the US Regal, but GM has said the car will be priced below LaCrosse, and will be exclusively 4-cylinder... DI 2.4 and turbo 2.0 might work, but I will not hold my breath for the hot V6 version, nor the AWD.

And this is the reason it is so important for Cadillac to be able to price itself higher. It gives room for Buick to price the LaCrosse higher and for the Regal and Astra below to have higher price points and offer more goodies...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0