Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

1962 Chevy Nova 2dr HT WAGON

Very cool wagon. What would have really made it *click* for me, though, is if the C pillar matched the angle of the B, or even been a bit steeper.

It probably wouldn't have been cheaper to build, though. You'd have to modify the liftgate to fit.

I think it looks better with the stock Nova wagon roofline anyway. It's a very convincing piece of work. Someone who might not know all that much about cars wouldn't know that this is a one-off job and might mistake it for a factory piece.

Edited by whiteknight

Heh, that is an old-skool wagon, son, it ain't got no "liftgate", it's got a proper let-down tailgate with a roll-down, frameless back window. The window regulator mechanism would need to be modified for the steeper angle, but that don't seem like a big thang.

It's beautiful work as it is, it's just that my sense of "correct" style dictates that the rearmost pillar be at a faster angle than an intermediate one. I'd still rock it though, make no mistake.

I went to DMV today and I'm still unclear if this could pass inspection. All I got from the inspector was "I'd have to see the car"...they may consider it a '62 Nova or they could consider it a "composite," which is much worse. There's also a new regulation about drivetrain that went into effect 8/1/08 where the emissions counts for the year of the motor (purchased pre-8/1/08 is grandfathered...and only matters if composite). I'm trying to verify with the seller when the motor was purchased, what percentage tint the windows are and how loud the exhaust is. Not so promising so far...

Std Regs

Composite Regs

Anyone wanna guess at the tint percentage from the pics?

Also, any ideas on what kind/brand of muffler this is?

DSC00159-1.jpg

understood.

But, I can't see anyone at a DMV even realizing that this car is a phantom. It still is a '62 Nova after all.

In PA, that's all they would know.

The phatom part isn't really my concern. The TCI front and rear independent suspension set-up, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes and the LS1 motor could kick it into "street rod" territory. Standard inspection for an antique is includes brakes, etc (their fav fail point is cracked front brake hoses). During that process, they could decided a more in-depth inspection is necessary.

DMV / state codes will tell them when sideviews were required- the burden of proof should not be on you. Fed mandates didn't start until '66.

Agree with Camino : body-wise it's a '62 Chevy Nova wagon. End of info stream.

Suspension-wise, upgrading should not move the car into 'street rod' territory in the least, but I have no idea the state of 'Nazi-ism' in CT.

DMV / state codes will tell them when sideviews were required- the burden of proof should not be on you. Fed mandates didn't start until '66.

Agree with Camino : body-wise it's a '62 Chevy Nova wagon. End of info stream.

Suspension-wise, upgrading should not move the car into 'street rod' territory in the least, but I have no idea the state of 'Nazi-ism' in CT.

I posted the CT regs earlier on in this thread. I was all gung-ho until I saw that "composite" category and the 8/1/08 drivetrain/emissions change.

The inspector I talked told me it would have to meet code for 1962 and matter of factly stated a 62 had to have a side mirror when I specifically asked. I'd like to validate that somehow...

"The plan" assuming no snags occur to derail the purchase process, is to walk in and run it through inspection as a '62 Wagon and see what happens. I've also lined up borrowing my friend's car trailer in the event this plan fails and I need to tweak things to pass inspection. It's pretty stock looking, so I'm hoping to get lucky...

>>"I'd like to validate that somehow..."<<

Print this out:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2...ageViewsIndex=1

Under 'Optional Equipment' : Backup lights, inside non-glare and outside rearview mirrors were part of the Comfort & Convenience Package on the Nova 400.

It's a Chevy : a brand-new repro sideview is practically on the shelf @ all the chain autoparts stores. :wink:

>>"I'd like to validate that somehow..."<<

Print this out:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2...ageViewsIndex=1

Under 'Optional Equipment' : Backup lights, inside non-glare and outside rearview mirrors were part of the Comfort & Convenience Package on the Nova 400.

It's a Chevy : a brand-new repro sideview is practically on the shelf @ all the chain autoparts stores. :wink:

Thanks. I kind of like how clean it looks without the mirrors, but if I have to put one on it's a pretty easy fix. The back-up lights info is also useful. I may just buy a brochure on e-bay and bring it with me to inspection in the event they challenge me.

That's a good idea, but be prepared that they may not accept anything you carry in with you as proof.

When I registered my '64 Catalina, they wanted to put it in the over 3800 lb price category. I had a copy of the page from the Standard Catalog of American Cars to prove it weighed 3770, but they still looked it up in a monsterous dusty book about 10" thick before putting it in the sub 3800-lb class.

• 2 weeks later...

Novamad is what I've been calling it ever since I saw the auction listing...not sure I have a better name for it.

All the paperwork arrived today, so once the delivery truck arrives with the car, I'll be ready to hit DMV and see how painful the registration process is going to be :smilewide:

Never owned a Chevy before, but my mom did have a 1963 Chevy II 2dr hardtop as her first new car, so my dad is pretty interested in it.

Novamad is what I've been calling it ever since I saw the auction listing...not sure I have a better name for it.

All the paperwork arrived today, so once the delivery truck arrives with the car, I'll be ready to hit DMV and see how painful the registration process is going to be :smilewide:

Never owned a Chevy before, but my mom did have a 1963 Chevy II 2dr hardtop as her first new car, so my dad is pretty interested in it.

Cool story

Reliable are usually excellent, surprising that they would miss a deadline.

Yeah, I had heard good things so I'm a bit surprised all this.

I booked the order on Tue 9/1 and paid the extra premium ($275) for the 2 week service (standard is 4 weeks and I didn't feel like waiting) and was given a 9/15 delivery date. So the seller calls me on that Thu saying all the money has cleared and he'll be going away for the Labor Day weekend holiday. Neither of us have heard from Reliable at this point about when pick-up will happen. On Friday, Reliable calls his house trying to get the car and he's not there. So Reliable calls me on Fri and says car won't get picked up and has to be rescheduled.

I call Reliable in Tue 9/8 to ask if they've made connections with the seller to pick-up, they say yes we're all set. I ask if given the delay in pick-up will that impact the 9/15 delivery date and they say they will still meet the 9/15 delivery date. (each time I talk to the same person)

Seller e-mails me on Fri 9/11 saying the car was picked up on Thu and provides pictures. No notification from Reliable that the car had been picked up (said they'd call when picked up). I call Reliable on Mon 9/14 inquiring about the status of the car and am told GPS says the truck carrying it is in Michigan and am given the driver's cell number since that's all they can tell me. I ask about the 9/15 date and now get a different story of "the car wasn't available for pick-up, so we get more time". I call the driver who tells me they just dropped the car at the Reliable warehouse in Michigan and gives me the number of the Michigan office to call. I call Michigan and the dispatcher tells me car just arrived, in the warehouse, delivery date unknown, call back later in the day and he should have more information. I call back again later in the day and he says car should leave warehouse Tue 9/15 and I may have it by the end of the week -- when I remind him car was supposed to be delivered on 9/15 and get a similar "car wasn't available for pick-up" story, but he says probably should arrive on 9/16 but they'll call with an update closer to delivery.

Haven't heard anything from them today and when I called their office no one picked up the phone....so no idea what the status is at the moment.

While I understand logistical issues can occur, I am pretty annoyed that I asked them to re-confirm the date *before* they picked-up the car after the false start. If they were going to miss the date, they had their opportunity to deliver that message in advance. Also, when they claim they'll notify me with a status and then don't follow through it's not reassuring.

I doubt the car will be hurt in any way.

My Firehawk sat at their facility in MI for months waiting for SLP to be ready to build it. It arrived in perfect, new car, condition.

These guys transport OEM prototypes and delivered all production Vipers, so I don't think you need to sweat that aspect of things.