Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

1962 Chevy Nova 2dr HT WAGON

Thanks.

Tomorrow (weather permitting) I'll hopefully get to take it out for a longer spin. First project is to calibrate the speedometer -- looks pretty straightforward.

Also, there is a Nova parts place called "Ground Up" a few towns over, which should be very convenient!

PM an admin and it will happen.

How's the fun factor so far?

So far I filled it with gas, then calibrated the speedo, then cruised around for a little while....then the weather has been crummy. I'm still "learning the car" so to speak. Major objective is inspection to either pass or find out what I'll need to modify to pass.

After that I'll start to think about some of the modification ideas I have to "make it my own" :smilewide:

Now have valid CT registration for the Novamad...and it was FAR easier than I expected.

I drove it over to the inspection station on the WA plates it came with (since they were still valid) and all they did was a VIN check on it. They yelled at me a little about the reg and insurance being in different names, but that was it. I really think I got a good inspector...or could just be the title/reg being current in another state avoids the major inspection.

Today, take VIN check form, reg application, bill of sale and title to the DMV office and they gave me plates. On the road as a '62 Nova Wagon with emission except status.

Either way the biggest hurdle has been cleared.

I was actually looking at a set like those on eBay...apparently they were designed as part of the C5 1953 Commemorative Edition Corvette. They were painted red and silver.

The original owner said he had a set of standard Corvette rail covers, but that they needed to be modified which is why he never got around to putting them on. So, based on that I'm likely going to "start" with a standard set and figure out what needs to be modified...then I might move up to that vintage look set later.

The motor was pulled from a 99ish Firebird which was wrecked about 500mi after having the LS1 crate motor installed. Most of these covers appear to need to be modified to fit an F-body, so it might be that simple.

I've been focused on driving it before I lose the weather rather than tinker with it :) The exhaust is growing on me...kinda like a Harley with straight pipes...but it's reasonably docile if I'm careful with the gas pedal...

• 3 weeks later...

So, the Novamad continues to draw curious stares as I've been out and about driving it. I'm not sure what aspect draws their attention, but it's certainly interesting to observe from the driver's seat!

Interestingly, it has no Chevy markings on the whole car, just a "Nova 400" badge on the rear quarter panel on each side.

So, the Novamad continues to draw curious stares as I've been out and about driving it. I'm not sure what aspect draws their attention, but it's certainly interesting to observe from the driver's seat!

Interestingly, it has no Chevy markings on the whole car, just a "Nova 400" badge on the rear quarter panel on each side.

I'm sure some people that kinda know Novas are thinking, 'did Chevy make a 2dr Nova wagon'? And others are thinking, 'oh, that's one of those rare 2dr Nova wagons'.. :)

I'm sure some people that kinda know Novas are thinking, 'did Chevy make a 2dr Nova wagon'? And others are thinking, 'oh, that's one of those rare 2dr Nova wagons'.. :)

I was wondering if it was more basic...just that it's a wagon makes it a curiosity in a world full of SUVs and CUVs...

I was wondering if it was more basic...just that it's a wagon makes it a curiosity in a world full of SUVs and CUVs...

Ya, wagons of any sort aren't too common these days.. Saw what looked like an Aspen or Volare wagon on the side of the freeway last night...

• 3 weeks later...

Storage lined up for winter and car cover on order.

Otherwise, still just driving my new toy until I have to put it away!

Last week I commuted to work in it...some strange looks in rush hour traffic. The security guard looked a little perplexed as I pulled into the parking garage with it in the morning too :spin:

• 5 months later...

Cool sh1t!

I'm with OB but also think it works as is in a sort of Mopar way. Their trademark in the late 1960s was a "cantilevered" C-pillar.

4463_large+1967_Plymouth_Belvedere_GTX+driver_front_side_view.jpg

67%20Belvedere02.jpg

• 1 year later...

Made my first modification to the Novamad today. Not quite done, but it's progress.

The purchase:

post-236-0-08575600-1311458527.jpg

Before modification:

post-236-0-98190100-1311458567.jpg

After modification:

post-236-0-20718500-1311458602.jpg

I need to clean up the motor now (flash made it look worse than it is) and fine tune some of the cuts I had to make in the LH cover to clear the fuel line, but the basics are done.

LS1 draws a lot of attention for being unique in a car this old, so I wanted to make it a bit more finished. I'm not sure if these are my permanent solution, but they cleaned up the motor appearance. Now if I go with another type of fuel rail cover I have a template for what types of cuts I'd need to make. I liked those vintage looking Corvette covers, but they seem to be out of production now.