New Golf (TDI) pricing announced

pow

http://www.vw.com/golf/pricelist/en/us/#overview

http://www.vw.com/2010gti/pricelist/en/us/

Golf 2-door, 2.5L 170 hp; Five-speed manual - $ 17,490

Golf 2-door, 2.5L 170 hp; Six-speed automatic with Tiptronic® - $ 18,590

Golf 4-door, 2.5L 170 hp; Six-speed automatic with Tiptronic® - $ 19,190

Golf TDI 2-door, 2.0L 140 hp; Six-speed manual - $ 21,990

Golf TDI 2-door, 2.0L 140 hp; Six-speed automatic DSG with Tiptronic® - $ 23,090

Golf TDI 4-door, 2.0L 140 hp; Six-speed manual - $ 22,590

Golf TDI 4-door, 2.0L 140 hp; Six-speed automatic DSG with Tiptronic® - $ 23,690

All models come well-equipped with typical class-exclusive VW features - full trip computer, ESP, heated mirrors, one-touch windows, pollen filter, 8-way front seats with lumbar support, and independent rear suspension.

TDI models add 17" wheels, leather steering wheel, premium touch-screen radio, sports suspension, rear seat A/C, and fog lights. DSG TDI models EPA rated at 30/41 mpg.

vw-golf-mk6-2.jpg

More: http://www.vw.com/golf/en/us/

I love the sharper lines of the Golf VI over the Mk V. I would like to see a Golf VI diesel available without so many standard features and subsequently lower price, however. This misguided march upmarket has been VW's undoing in the USA, I feel.

To quote Camino, Damn, damn, damn!

FWIW, the new facelifted Jetta SportWagen is just that - a face-lift, with a new front clip and different dash. Its changes aren't as extensive as the MK6 Golf's, so you won't gain much waiting an extra year.

Looks like the TDI comes well-equipped, though...not stripped down.

From what I understand, a TDI has basically the same accoutrements as a Jetta/Golf SE.

In other words, it's their midrange offering but with a turbodiesel.

Not much wrong with that. :)

ok, this i think is a bad move by them. i can see the why to some degree. i suppose if you want the 5 cyl boat anchor and a stick you could just get a jetta.

i can't foot the bill for the GTI and the TDI is pricey too although i understand the TDI has all sorts of more goodies. leather touch points, better radio, etc.

i would seriously consider the Golf if i could have the 4 door hatch with stick at the base price point.

i am still convinced VW purposely puts the lead anchor 5 in its low end cars to convince folks to move up for the turbo or the diesel.

how about a golf 6 speed 4 door with a 2.0 4 cylinder 160hp non turbo?

ok, this i think is a bad move by them. i can see the why to some degree. i suppose if you want the 5 cyl boat anchor and a stick you could just get a jetta.

i can't foot the bill for the GTI and the TDI is pricey too although i understand the TDI has all sorts of more goodies. leather touch points, better radio, etc.

i would seriously consider the Golf if i could have the 4 door hatch with stick at the base price point.

i am still convinced VW purposely puts the lead anchor 5 in its low end cars to convince folks to move up for the turbo or the diesel.

how about a golf 6 speed 4 door with a 2.0 4 cylinder 160hp non turbo?

Agreed. The 5-cyl competes against the 2.4/2.5 upgrade motors in the Corolla, Mazda3, Sentra, and Impreza, and it's actually very competitive in terms of hp and mpg.

But a base high-mpg motor would be nice to have. The 1.4 TSI probably costs as much as the GTI's to make. VW has a naturally aspirated 102 hp 1.6L in the European Golf, and you can get that with a 7-speed dry clutch DSG.

Edited by pow

I love the sharper lines of the Golf VI over the Mk V. I would like to see a Golf VI diesel available without so many standard features and subsequently lower price, however. This misguided march upmarket has been VW's undoing in the USA, I feel.

I think that's the reason VW is still here, not their undoing. As a high cost manufacturer, they can not compete on price, like GM has always tried to do, and failed. They are still the cheapest German brand sold here.

$ for $ I feel thqt they are very good. The 5 is maligned but it actually is a pretty good motor. Wife and I test drove a Rabbit with the 5 before we bought our last Miata, I was VERY impressed with the 5.

If I get a Vee-Dub though it will be TDI or GTI. And it will be stick, none of this damn DSG or trtiptronic nonsense.

Chris

• 1 month later...

sat in an 010 GTI today. i must say, albeit at 30k, the interior is top drawer.

the wheels i hate. but the interior is great and honestly pretty much would pass in an Audi.

they had a 010 jetta TDI manual on the lot. 24k, no options. too pricey IMHO. Golf TDI maybe not as offensive price wise.

they had an 010 Jetta S, listed at about 18,700. the jetta gets the new steering wheel which is a big improvement. new seat cloth too that looks nice, no penalty for opting for the S model..even the hubcaps fooled me. this car is a bargain.

can't wait to see the new regular Golf. the new dash, although boring, is very nicely done.

they had a 2010 wolfsburg jetta. basically a non GLI with leatherette and the turbo motor/non chrome grille. 23k. In my mind, a performance bargain.

side note, the VW CC is awesome. i had plenty of head room in the rear, too. Love the CC.

Edited by regfootball

$ for $ I feel thqt they are very good. The 5 is maligned but it actually is a pretty good motor. Wife and I test drove a Rabbit with the 5 before we bought our last Miata, I was VERY impressed with the 5.

If I get a Vee-Dub though it will be TDI or GTI. And it will be stick, none of this damn DSG or trtiptronic nonsense.

Chris

the 5 has power and torque, but is not as smooth as the better fours, has a bit of a coarse growl, and doesn't run up the rpm's as willingly as better motors.

in terms of value for the price though it does well. its biggest flaw at the value price points is the lesser mpg.

I know the Diesel gets great gas miliage. On Motortrend the TV show they used the Golf TDI and compared it against hybrids and it beat the Fusion and was very close to the Insight. I believe it averaged around 37 and the Insight got 40. The Fusion was at 35. But northing tops a Prius which came in at 49.

The only thing about this car is the Diesel question? Has anyone looked at how many Gas stations actually carry Diesel? It is not very many in my opinion. I would say the ratio would be 1 in 5. Which does not sound bad, but imagine driving and not being able to pull off at the next gas station. On a family trip and unfamiliar with the area could put someone in a bind. Just wonder if anyone has any Diesel cars and they have ever encountered that problem?

I know the Diesel gets great gas miliage. On Motortrend the TV show they used the Golf TDI and compared it against hybrids and it beat the Fusion and was very close to the Insight. I believe it averaged around 37 and the Insight got 40. The Fusion was at 35. But northing tops a Prius which came in at 49.

The only thing about this car is the Diesel question? Has anyone looked at how many Gas stations actually carry Diesel? It is not very many in my opinion. I would say the ratio would be 1 in 5. Which does not sound bad, but imagine driving and not being able to pull off at the next gas station. On a family trip and unfamiliar with the area could put someone in a bind. Just wonder if anyone has any Diesel cars and they have ever encountered that problem?

you definitely need to hunt for diesel in many parts.

right now, with diesel and gas close in price but only like 2.40 you don't save much now vs gas per year when the price is this low.

IMHO the convenience of not having to fill so much and the higher resale might still make it worth a diesel purchase.

i just think its $h!ty they dont offer a 6 speed manual 4 door golf.

Don't forget the extra tourque of a diesel. The diesel driving experience is very worthwhile.

Wish we got the CTS-D here in the USA, as well as the 300 Chryco Diesel.

Chris

Don't forget the extra tourque of a diesel. The diesel driving experience is very worthwhile.

Wish we got the CTS-D here in the USA, as well as the 300 Chryco Diesel.

Chris

I do agree that diesels make for a good drive for those used to lower end torque. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a CTS-D (for the time being) as GM suspended or cancelled the co-development of the 2.9L block with VM.

Guess if I hit the lottery it will be a BMW 335d then???

335d would definitely be on my own list!

Wonder if there is some legal reason GM doesn't go shopping for the new 3.0L diesel V6 shared by Citroën and Jaguar... 238hp and 275hp versions... and that 238hp engine would be interesting pon the new 9-5 as well as it is to be used on the FWD Citroën C5 and C6. Citroën is rating the engine at 240hp, so it is a FWD application of the less powerful version used in the Jaguar XF.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/10best-test-n...volkswagen-gti/

just to reiterate what i experienced sitting inside an 01 GTI the other day....i said it was very nice. i am not alone

We have long raved about the high quality of Volkswagen interiors, but I wasn’t quite prepared for the cabin of the new GTI. Sliding behind the wheel of the Mark VI version for the first time, I was immediately in awe. Just when I thought the GTI interior couldn’t look any better, VW just went and trumped itself.

You immediately notice the plaid cloth interior, which is an unmistakable throwback to the original GTI (and was featured on the Mk V car, too) and is pulled off very nicely. Even better, the seats are soft yet offer proper support and bolstering for performance pedaling. The aggressive flat-bottom steering wheel and rich-feeling controls surrounded in aluminum are top-notch. In fact, almost every button, knob, or switch is accented in metal, a distinct sign that you’re not in a car where corners were cut, as they have been in so many American cars. The red stitching and black chrome trim tops off this cabin, which reminds me more of the inside of a $40,000 or even $50,000 car. Wow, this car makes you feel special and pictures just don’t do it justice.