Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: GM dropping corporate emblems for 2010. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges...

41 posts in this topic

Filed under: Marketing/Advertising, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GM, GMC

z06gmbadgezoom_opt.jpg

x05co_ds001_opt.jpgBack in 2005, General Motors began adding so-called "Mark of Excellence" corporate logos to all of its vehicles. The reasoning behind the move was that with eight brands, customers needed to know that vehicles from brands like Hummer and Saturn came from the GM family. Fast forward four years and The General is now down to four brands, and the company now feels that a strong link to GM proper won't necessarily help Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. Beginning with future 2010 model year vehicles, the barely noticeable silver GM badge will not be added to new products. Vehicles like the 2010 Camaro and 2010 Equinox already don the GM logo, but the assumption is that the logos will stop appearing once the remaining inventory is used up.

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan told The Detroit News that company research shows customers outside the Midwest don't associate brands like Cadillac and Chevrolet as GM products. Some would say that the move will serve to distance the company's brands from the bankruptcy of parent GM, while others may question whether the badging ever captured the attention of customers in the first place. With GM's new emphasis on strengthening the brands it has left, we'd say that tying the mother ship to any of the individual marques is pretty irrelevant and makes little sense. And besides, they're probably saving a few bucks on badges in the process, right?

[source: Detroit News]

REPORT: GM dropping corporate emblems for 2010. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges... originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=YPh6N7o1BtY:FRvtGyveOaA:wF9xT autoblog?i=YPh6N7o1BtY:FRvtGyveOaA:V_sGL
YPh6N7o1BtY

View the full article

Great move. I hated when GM decided to do this a few years ago. Adding that dumb little silver badge was just more tacked on clutter, and took away from the car. Especially for people buying a Cadillac or Saab that don't want a GM logo cheapening their product. Even for Saturn buyers that were looking for something different than most GM cars, why remind them that their car is the same as a Malibu.

GM needs to remember they aren't selling "GM" cars, they are selling Chevrolets, Cadillacs, Buicks and GMCs. You advertise the brand you are selling, not the corporation, especially when many people have a negative opinion of the corporation.

Why GM employed people's working hours thinking about tiny and shiny square GM badges is beyond me.........

Why GM employed people's working hours thinking about tiny and shiny square GM badges is beyond me.........

Maybe it was a busy work project to take people's minds off of the impending collapse and inevitable bankruptcy.

Maybe it was a busy work project to take people's minds off of the impending collapse and inevitable bankruptcy.

:lol:

Never really liked it- on some cars it just was badly integrated and too much- the side of an STS had this, the turn signal and the side vents. I always thought that it should have been in the door sills or the seat belts, like they used to be.

If it were executed properly, and GM marketed as a "force" that covers all aspects of the market, then it would be worth it. But alas, GM never got it's collective sh*t together. And now, to make matters worse, the media has had a FIELD DAY making the public think GM=horrible, negative things.

Now that GM has chosen to pursue a different direction, I think this is a good idea. The public should be enamored with the divisions themselves.

Never really liked it- on some cars it just was badly integrated and too much- the side of an STS had this, the turn signal and the side vents. I always thought that it should have been in the door sills or the seat belts, like they used to be.

And true that about the emblems questionable placement on some models. On things like the 900s and Corvette, the emblems looked great. But cars like the Cobalt and G6, where the emblem was hap-hazardly put in the middle of the door where the trim USED to be before cost cutting just made the product look that much cheaper.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I had noticed that Chrysler used to have the PentaStar on the fenders behind the ft. wheel in the dog leg

I had forgot all about those badges, Ford on the other hand WAY BACK in the early '60s made sure to let everyone know that their family of cars had blue Ford engines in them.

I think they will try this badge thing again when they are back on their own feet (withouy the Gov. training wheels) cause they had done this back in the '70s & '80s.

I never minded them, but I seem to be in the minority.

I always thought Chrysler's was a nice touch, felt the same way when GM did it.

I had noticed that Chrysler used to have the PentaStar on the fenders behind the ft. wheel in the dog leg

One of the cool details about the Chrysler pentastar emblems back in the '60s-70s is they were only on the right front fender, down low.

I think it would be interesting to retrofit classic GM products with the tiny GM logos..

R

One of the cool details about the Chrysler pentastar emblems back in the '60s-70s is they were only on the right front fender, down low.

I think it would be interesting to retrofit classic GM products with the tiny GM logos..

R

Not on both frt fenders?

Not on both frt fenders?

Yeah, Chryslers only had them on the right side. Now on GMs, both sides.

Yeah, Chryslers only had them on the right side. Now on GMs, both sides.

Probably why I don't rememberthem so much being that I'm in the passing lane not the slow lane much.

Probably why I don't rememberthem so much being that I'm in the passing lane not the slow lane much.

Some later Chrysler products had them on both sides, IIRC, the first gen Grand Cherokees and minivans in the '90s had them embossed in the side molding.

Rob

Yup, Chrysler had their Pentastars on the passenger side only, supposedly for people on the sidewalk to identify that shiny new Dart, Monaco, New Yorker, Fury, et al, parallel parked along the street.

Yup, Chrysler had their Pentastars on the passenger side only, supposedly for people on the sidewalk to identify that shiny new Dart, Monaco, New Yorker, Fury, et al, parallel parked along the street.

If I had a new Challenger with the R/T Classic trim, I'd add one along with the fratzog.

fratzog ? :scratchchin:

Had to Google thatimgurl=http:/...=5&ct=image[/url]

We at GM just call our Chevy emblem a bow tie :chevy:

Heh-heh...IIRC, Plymouth also had a distinctive emblem of their own in the '60s-70s, but I don't know if it had a specific name.

mvc-2785534s.jpg

This NOS hood ornament is $495 on eBay now.

Rob

Some die hard GM fans liked them some could care less.

To non GM fans it ment nothing.

Save the money and leave them off. If you build good quality affordable cars people want you don't have to stick anything on them.

I noticed on the HHR site most of them make it the first thing they remove. The thought crossed my mind. I like a clean design over more emblems.

I think they should have went on the seatbelt buckles, personally.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room