So Who knows New Hampshire?

Things I know about NH: They have higher property taxes as opposed to sales taxes. Fireworks are legal in some parts of the state (not Hampton, f@#kers). I believe that, unlike in MA, of someone breaks into your house and you defend yourself, the scum can't press charges against you.

Also you don't need a license to buy a gun, and you can carry a handgun or revolver around so long as its in an exposed holster. You do need a license to carry it concealed, or in your car.

And here's a wiki on NH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire

New Hampshire is an alcoholic beverage control state, and through the State Liquor Commission it takes in $100 million from the sale and distribution of liquor.[25] The state also leads the country in per capita sales of all forms of alcohol.[26] Much of the high rate of sale, however, is attributable to out-of-state consumers who take advantage of the state liquor stores' advantageous pricing and absence of sales tax.

LOL

Well, let's see.

-no state income tax

-no state sales tax

-cheap insurance rates

-low unemployment rates (we're riding the storm out pretty good compared to most other states)

-people for the most part are very real, polite, and down to earth, and have a live & let live attitude about others

-beautiful surroundings (like the rest of New England, the vast majority of New Hampshire towns could have come out of a Norman Rockwell painting)

-tons of history

-if you like the outdoors, pretty much the entire state is your playground for camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, etc.

I could go into detail more if you could narrow down a region you're considering moving to. I live in southeast New Hampshire (Milford to be exact). Most towns here are far away enough from stuff to be quiet and peaceful and secluded but close enough to not have to drive more than 15-20 minutes for big town conveniences (grocery stores, pharmacies, good restaurants, etc.). It's an hour east to the coast with beautiful beaches in Rye and Hampton, or if you want to hop over the border into Maine, you can be at York or Ogunquit in another 15-20 minutes. An hour or so north puts you into the White Mountains and Lake Winnepesaukee region, an hour or so west brings you out to the Keene area (another 20 minutes west sends you over the Connecticut River into Brattleboro and the Green Mountains of Vermont), and an hour south will put you in Boston, MA if you want to spend a day in the big city for shopping, seeing a major league sporting event, etc. I can't think of another region in this neck of the woods where such a short amount of travel time in any giventdirection will give you such completely different options. It's pretty neat to be able to choose the ocean, the mountains, the lakes region, the city, or one of a million other different things and be there in a short amount of time. Hell, even Canada's not so far away.

That's what I have to start with. Once again, if you can name some towns or a county or something you're considering I can get deeper into it.

Thanks alot, XP.

I haven't narrowed the possibilities yet, but I expect to need to pick your brain as I do.

Trivial question: Front license plates? or not?

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of public gardens in NH, which is what I'm leaning toward as far as employment goes.

Lots of things to think about, but I think the state may be exactly where I want to be.

Man I want no front play on my car. :(

Can you buy/sell plates in Mass? Get one of the old green and white plates... they came as singletons.

I like NH, as well, and it will be on my short list when South Jersey finishes turning into North Jersey. The Freestate project rocks.

Southern NH is good because you can find a rural area yet still not be far from larger cities and such, like Salem, and then MA is not far so there's more opportunity for work or what have you. Northern NH is kind of like the boonies. Great fr retirement, not so great for work.

Want to be neighbors?

Maybe... but you better keep at least 5 classic cars in your front yard, or I'm calling the township! ;-)

I'm not yet ready to leave SoJo... as much as I hate seeing it change, its still home and close to everything. However, I never know when or what will finally push me out. I have contacts at Northrop Grumman and could get good work and set up shop in SE NH fairly quickly. It's just hard to part with the old homestead... but I suppose I could rent it out and visit it from time to time.

This is a repeated issue in my life, as there isn't much good computer work in SoJo.

Of course, this whole thread poses the question... just what is behind this... for the most part, I always felt rural PA was a good place for classic car enthusiasts. Or are you just looking for a change of scenery?

I'm fairly opinionated so I may get jumped for my (incorrect) perceptions.

For starters, I like New England a lot. If I could afford to live in a Boston suburb, I would. I'd shovel the snow. But I can't afford it...at least, the last time I checked the prices.

It is colder than the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area and colder than S.E.PA. I think that their (un)employment rates are about the same. I've heard NH has some tax breaks, though the tax picture shouldn't trigger a drastic move, unless it's to retire. Correct: Southern NH is an extension of the Boston metro area and Northern NH is an extension of...Quebec...which could be a good thing.

What I've experienced and had said to me is that New Englanders are more aloof and more reserved than tri-state people. They would consider the direct approach of the tri-state area to be brusque. I kind of like the in-your-face tri-state area approach, since I am familiar with it. When I was visiting my uncle in northern NJ about 10 miles west of the G.W., people would just BS with me and ask me questions wherever I went...amazing for being in the shadow, literally, of the Manhattan skyline. When I was in New England for about a week in 1996 (Concord/Lexington, MA, Danvers, MA and Portland, ME), nobody was like that. It was waaaay more aloof. I liked the whole area, but I know if wouldn't be Jersey. I bet the Philly exurbs are more like Jersey...unless that's what you want to get away from.

Economically, I think it's a wash and shouldn't steer a PA-to-NH move. My .02.

Maybe... but you better keep at least 5 classic cars in your front yard, or I'm calling the township! ;-)

I'm not yet ready to leave SoJo... as much as I hate seeing it change, its still home and close to everything. However, I never know when or what will finally push me out. I have contacts at Northrop Grumman and could get good work and set up shop in SE NH fairly quickly. It's just hard to part with the old homestead... but I suppose I could rent it out and visit it from time to time.

This is a repeated issue in my life, as there isn't much good computer work in SoJo.

Of course, this whole thread poses the question... just what is behind this... for the most part, I always felt rural PA was a good place for classic car enthusiasts. Or are you just looking for a change of scenery?

My part of PA is hardly rural, and way too crowded with people I can't stand.

Lots more behind this, but yeah, I'm sick of being here.

I'm fairly opinionated so I may get jumped for my (incorrect) perceptions.

For starters, I like New England a lot. If I could afford to live in a Boston suburb, I would. I'd shovel the snow. But I can't afford it...at least, the last time I checked the prices.

It is colder than the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area and colder than S.E.PA. I think that their (un)employment rates are about the same. I've heard NH has some tax breaks, though the tax picture shouldn't trigger a drastic move, unless it's to retire. Correct: Southern NH is an extension of the Boston metro area and Northern NH is an extension of...Quebec...which could be a good thing.

What I've experienced and had said to me is that New Englanders are more aloof and more reserved than tri-state people. They would consider the direct approach of the tri-state area to be brusque. I kind of like the in-your-face tri-state area approach, since I am familiar with it. When I was visiting my uncle in northern NJ about 10 miles west of the G.W., people would just BS with me and ask me questions wherever I went...amazing for being in the shadow, literally, of the Manhattan skyline. When I was in New England for about a week in 1996 (Concord/Lexington, MA, Danvers, MA and Portland, ME), nobody was like that. It was waaaay more aloof. I liked the whole area, but I know if wouldn't be Jersey. I bet the Philly exurbs are more like Jersey...unless that's what you want to get away from.

Economically, I think it's a wash and shouldn't steer a PA-to-NH move. My .02.

Lots of advantages to NH, but yes, I want to get away from the friggin burbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't respect this idea more or be more happy for you.

Thinking of leaving Columbus Ohio when my daughter (middle daughter) graduates high school. She is a freshman right now.

I live out south of town, and there are horse farms and log homes within walking distance of my house. And it's still too damn suburban if you ask me.

New Hampshire sounds like paradise to me.

I like the idea of Wyoming or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan much better. Cold is a damn fine impediment to suburbanization.

My idea of hell on earth is Miami Florida. I have had several chances to move there with some awesome job offers (friends and former co workers live in Miami.) I'd rather shove a hot poker in my eye than live in THAT urban wreck.

Chris

Right now I am reverse commuting from Columbus Ohio to Chillicothe, a small town of maybe 25,000 or so people about 45 minutes south.

People drive me nuts. Don't take me wrong, but there are days that I root for the Avian flu or the Swine flu virus. There are just too many people on this planet.

However, ask me which of my five children I'd like to see gone and I will tell you "none of them."

We need to tell the Catholic church to take a flying f@#k and make sure birth control is available worldwide and used widely.

Chris

Right now I am reverse commuting from Columbus Ohio to Chillicothe, a small town of maybe 25,000 or so people about 45 minutes south.

People drive me nuts. Don't take me wrong, but there are days that I root for the Avian flu or the Swine flu virus. There are just too many people on this planet.

However, ask me which of my five children I'd like to see gone and I will tell you "none of them."

We need to tell the Catholic church to take a flying f@#k and make sure birth control is available worldwide and used widely.

Chris

With you on all counts.

Having lived in many different environments in my life---small town, extremely rural, resort/fishing town, college town, downtown big city, suburbia, semi-suburban older neighborhood in a big city--- I think the last two suit me the best in the near future, both for career prospects and level of amenities/etc I like in a place.

Haven't decided where I'm going next geographically on my voyage through life, but I'm pretty certain I'll be leaving Arizona within the next year. Maybe back to Denver, maybe back to the Midwest, or to the West Coast, Northeast, or Middle Atlantic. Not the South or Southwest.

Rob

But Rob, look at all of the great cultural conservatives you could have as neighbors if you lived in Georgia.

You could sit out on the deck and listen to Glenn Beck and Hannity with your new friends. What more could you wish for to be in paradise?

Seriously, there is a reason I moved out of Georgia and back to Ohio.

Chris

But Rob, look at all of the great cultural conservatives you could have as neighbors if you lived in Georgia.

You could sit out on the deck and listen to Glenn Beck and Hannity with your new friends. What more could you wish for to be in paradise?

Seriously, there is a reason I moved out of Georgia and back to Ohio.

Chris

Heh-heh...there were plenty of them in Colorado Springs (part of why I don't live there any more) and in Chandler, Az (where I work but wouldn't want to live)... I like a more diverse environment...

I've seen a bit of Georgia, the airport in Atlanta and a buddy lives in Marietta, seems like a decent suburb..plenty of Indian programmers like my buddy and a few good Indian restaurants around. I visited him a few years ago for a long weekend, didn't rent a car and he and his wife drove me around...very green...

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

suburbia, semi-suburban older neighborhood in a big city--- I think the last two suit me the best

Not the South or Southwest.

With me, a lot of it is about the aesthetics. I cannot stand the Southwest. It could be sunny everyday but the desertscape or dry Ponderosa vegetation (in the higher elevations) would be guaranteed to depress me. When I fly into LAS or PHX and look out the window, I want to :puke:

And I'm not touting my place of origin, either. Except for the sweeping coastline areas you see in postcards of LA, SF or San Diego, the appearance only 30 or 40 miles inland is very bleak. I don't like it.

That's why I've only purchased housing in Atlanta and Seattle. In Atlanta, I liked the pine forest canopy that practically hid the city. And, no, I didn't know anybody remotely conservative. Most people were transplants with middle-of-the-road political and religious views who come down to work and to own a decent home. In Seattle, it is obvious it is much prettier, but I had to deal with depressed, stoic, flatlining politically-correct people, constant cloud cover, and Subarus and Birkenstocks, the latter of which would make you an outcast in Atlanta.

Bottom line: I need to live in a perennially green environment to thrive....not a yellow, beige or brown one.

There are parts of living in Atlanta that I really miss.

Ditto.

Atlanta had more good points than bad points. I lived in North Atlanta, barely inside the perimeter from Dunwoody. It was scenic and, once off the main arterials, super quiet.

And, if I ever needed to see an ocean, Florida was only 4 hours away by car.

A few things important to me wherever I live:

A good infrastructure as far as roads and freeways.

I like to travel, and I like to be within 1/2 hour or so of a major hub airport w/ plenty of direct flights within the US and some direct flights to Europe.

A diverse corporate climate w/ major companies as well as plenty of high tech companies...i.e. plenty of cubicles.

A range of climate variations--all sun and heat is pretty dull.

Reasonably close to the ocean, forests, mountains, rivers. Not a big fan of very flat areas. I'm sick of desert landscapes.

I'm a foodie, so I need diverse dining options...lots of variation in restaurants and cuisines nearby.

A place that is moving forward into the future, not dying or it's on last legs (i.e. no Detroit). Of course, in this economy, all metros are hurting to varying degrees..

Major sports teams are good to have, esp. for the arenas and stadiums, as I enjoy going to concerts, and the occasional hockey, football, or baseball game.

A few things important to me wherever I live:

A good infrastructure as far as roads and freeways.

I like to travel, and I like to be within 1/2 hour or so of a major hub airport w/ plenty of direct flights within the US and some direct flights to Europe.

A diverse corporate climate w/ major companies as well as plenty of high tech companies...i.e. plenty of cubicles.

A range of climate variations--all sun and heat is pretty dull.

Reasonably close to the ocean, forests, mountains, rivers. Not a big fan of very flat areas. I'm sick of desert landscapes.

I'm a foodie, so I need diverse dining options...lots of variation in restaurants and cuisines nearby.

A place that is moving forward into the future, not dying or it's on last legs (i.e. no Detroit). Of course, in this economy, all metros are hurting to varying degrees..

Major sports teams are good to have, esp. for the arenas and stadiums, as I enjoy going to concerts, and the occasional hockey, football, or baseball game.

Its funny, as these are all reasons why I like South Jersey.

I'm not advocating anything Jersey, however, as I understand our negatives... but it is nice to be able to own a one or two dozen acres of land nears the Pine Barrens where the population is nearly as low as Alaska, yet be in the geographic center of the northeast population hub.

I'm not advocating anything Jersey, however, as I understand our negatives...

I like Jersey, too, mostly for its PEOPLE - what you see is what you get. Out West, wherever I've worked, my best friends, beyond some Californians I've known for a long time, have always been in-your-face Northeasterners....I roll out the welcome mat for them....others, not so much.

However, for the Jersey negatives, TAXES on REAL PROPERTY -

WWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its funny, as these are all reasons why I like South Jersey.

I'm not advocating anything Jersey, however, as I understand our negatives... but it is nice to be able to own a one or two dozen acres of land nears the Pine Barrens where the population is nearly as low as Alaska, yet be in the geographic center of the northeast population hub.

Funny you mention NJ...besides Pittsburgh, another area I've been researching lately as a possibility is the Philadelphia and Trenton areas. State government, corporate hqs, seems to be plenty of cube action around there...been watching the daily query results from Dice and Monster..

Phoenix is too much of a retiree's paradise, like parts of Florida. I'm too young to be a place so placid and dull...I need be somewhere more lively, and the Middle Atlantic/NE solve other issues for me that the West can't...i.e. closer proximity to E. Ohio.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar