Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Chrysler could pull out of Global Engine alliance, put Fiat diesel in Ram

5 posts in this topic

Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing, Chrysler, Fiat, Diesel

gema5709.jpg

As Chrysler moves forward with its post bankruptcy product plans, it's looking increasingly like consolidation with new partner Fiat is the order of the day. Following the cancellation of the platform sharing deal with Nissan, it appears as if the company's interest in the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance could be the next victim. The agreement in question was formed early this decade between what was then DaimlerChrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi to produce common four-cylinder engines for the three automakers. Since then, variants of the engine design have turned up in cars as diverse as the Jeep Compass and Patriot, Hyundai Sonata and Mitsubishi Lancer.

Part of Fiat's rationale for getting involved with Chrysler was the expanding economies of scale for its own products. That means future Chryslers will almost certainly get Italian designed fours to go with the company's new Phoenix V6. It's not clear what the fate of the five-year-old Dundee, MI engine plant that supplies the Chrysler engines will be. If the alliance is dissolved, it could be taken over by Chrysler-Fiat and re-tooled to build Fiat-based engines.

Automotive News is also reporting that the Ram diesel could get a new lease on life. However, the planned Cummins 5.0-liter V8 could be replaced by - you guessed it - a Fiat diesel.

[source: Automotive News - sub. req'd]

REPORT: Chrysler could pull out of Global Engine alliance, put Fiat diesel in Ram originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=4fg7j-_Dp8s:n6MNTD7yKhY:wF9xT autoblog?i=4fg7j-_Dp8s:n6MNTD7yKhY:V_sGL
4fg7j-_Dp8s

View the full article

If Fiat has good engines then there's little point in continuing with the global engine.

The engine series hasn't exactly been a hit for Chrysler...noisy and unrefined. However I think that's at least partly Chrysler's fault. The engine can be made to do impressive things like its application in the SRT4 as well as the Evo X.

I would very much like to see a smaller diesel go into the Ram 1500.

A small FIAT diesel in a RAM 1500 would be a superb addition to the line, and give Dodge a competitive advantage. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance and economy of their four-cylinder diesel in an older motorhome in Europe, and that engine has likely gotten better yet.

Fiat has turbo gasoline I4s that could be interesting for use in Chrysler products.