Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hyundai Equus: Your Thoughts?

16 posts in this topic

I have been watching this car. Hyundai is stepping in to new territory. It benched marked the cars in that class. The question is can GM match this? This is what a big Buick above LaCrosse should be. If this car takes off, I wonder if GM will reconsider that position of the LaCrosse being the flagship at Buick. The Cadillac XTS has to surpass this and the current competition.

VW is thinking about bringing the Phaeton back.

GM needs to rethink its luxury strategy and how it positions its cars.

The sad thing is Buick does not even have an image and it is saddled with a negative connotation in peoples minds who do not consider or know GM products.

I know GM is not going to throw a prestige car at Chevrolet and call it Caprice.

Will we see a rebirth and redefinition of large luxury cars or large cars in this country?

Where is that Holden Caprice/Park Avenue when you need it?

Videos:

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I really like the interior, but not the exterior.

Toyota called and wants the Yaris' tail lights back.

The exterior has too much going on. On the side it looks like they tried to emulate Buick's sweepsear but failed miserably. The greenhouse looks like something out of the 90's and the front has way to much chrome and is overall too busy. I much prefer the Genesis' exterior.

Maybe it is overstyled, but... Hyundai... who would have thought, 10 years ago, that Hyundai would do a car like this?

Hyundai is up and coming...don't like the Equus myself, but Hyundai understands what people want in a car and understands car buyers.

Chris

I think this car is a good value proposition. The exterior is kind of a mess and the interior looks like the Land Cruiser's, but the level of equipment you get for the price will probably scare the Germans a bit.

bleh... doesnt do much for me the only big cars i really like are the DTS and MKS.

>>"The sad thing is Buick does not even have an image and it is saddled with a negative connotation in peoples minds who do not consider or know GM products."<<

You DO realize that hyundai does not even have an image (unless negative) and it is saddled with negative connotations in people's minds who do not consider or know hyundai products, right ??

People knew VW and the phaeton was one of the biggest flops in recent memory... hyudai comes from the bottom of the pond and has a much worse track record than VW.

-- -- -- -- --

Watched the exterior review. Lessee : a chromed plastic stand-up hood ornament circa 1950, a characterline even MacElroy had little choice but to refer to it with Buick's name of SweepSpear, and "integrated" exhaust outlets- woooow.

Mediocre, derivative, anonymous, RWD generica (with a Lincoln grille). Big statement..... of what I'm not sure.

It will struggle in this market.....

I tend to agree, as even established players are hurting. However, I would not underestimate Hyundai's ability to deliver.

I'm not a fan. it's more of the same old story, design wise - a mishmash of cues from various players in the market segment it's intended to compete in and really brings nothing original, which is actually the better route to take, becase when Hyundai/Kia try to be original we get the Genesis coupe and the Accent, both of which make me want to poke my eyes out with a rusty corkscrew.

Honestly, this car doesn't need to be a commercial success. Hyundai will get praises for bring it here and we'll hear more stories about how much they've improved in a short period of time and that they've improved and are trying to take the brand upscale, etc., etc. Regardless of how it sells it will establish Hyundai as a player in the uber sedan segment. A commerical failure could easily be blamed on the economy, but the groundwork will be laid for a successful second generation when economy recovers.

there was one parked next to an accord at the lowe's today. to be honest, the genesis did not look any more upmarket than the accord.

big hyundai with rear drive. the rear drive is the only thing that sets it apart. its styling looks quite ordinary with a previous model accord next to it.

^ Well.... we would be remiss if we did not YET AGAIN comment on how far hyundai's styling has improved: from wretchedly embarassing, to mainstream ordinary. :rotflmao:

Edited by balthazar

thing is, i know that genesis well and i have seen it in town several times now. the guy who owns it was in the store so i know its his, he's the guy who is always at the donut shop when we go there on sunday mornings.

i figure he maybe either got tired of spending coin on german iron and is stepping down, or he had a camry and was sick of spending too much.

That hood ornament is so pointless.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room