Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Stand-alone Buick, GMC dealers to be dualed, only 17k Pontiacs left

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Buick, GMC, Pontiac

89749752_opt.jpg

From a bird's eye view, bad old bankrupt General Motors' transition into the new, solvent "good GM" looks pretty much okay. From a marketing point of view, Chevrolet matches up well with Ford, Buick is akin to Mercury and Cadillac is the brand Lincoln would love to be. Or maybe Chevy matches up with Toyota, Buick with Lexus and Cadillac... er... point being, in some justifiable, mostly non-abstract way, those three brands make sense. But GMC? Every truck GMC sells (and all they sell is trucks) is already available as a Chevrolet. In fact, counting the Colorado and the Avalanche, Chevy sells more types of trucks than truck-only GMC. Someone then might raise the question, "Why is new GM keeping GMC around?" Ask a Buick dealer.

Automotive News is reporting that by October 2010 there will be no stand-alone Buick or GMC dealerships. They will all be consolidated into Buick-GMC "duals." This decision will affect around 3,000 dealerships that pedal/pedaled Buick, GMC and/or Pontiac - they will be consolidated into 2,000 Buick-GMC dealers. Said Susan Docherty, general manager of Buick and GMC, "All our franchise agreements will be renewed then, and we'll only offer one contract: a dual Buick-GMC." When asked how many stand alone stores will be left selling just Buicks or GMCs, Docherty said, "none."

Small side note: if you want to buy a Pontiac, you'd better hurry up. The prices have been slashed, they're selling like hot cakes and Docherty is saying by tomorrow there will only be 16,000 to 17,000 left - and that's it.

[source: Automotive News - sub. req'd | Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty]

REPORT: Stand-alone Buick, GMC dealers to be dualed, only 17k Pontiacs left originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Xj_3OneQ2RU:DHAkMVjYGmE:wF9xT autoblog?i=Xj_3OneQ2RU:DHAkMVjYGmE:V_sGL
Xj_3OneQ2RU

View the full article

So what happens to the GMC dealers that have a lot of commercial customers and are usually attached to a Volvo heavy truck dealer?

So what happens to the GMC dealers that have a lot of commercial customers and are usually attached to a Volvo heavy truck dealer?

Hopefully for GM's sake they'll also sell Buicks. Doesn't sound like it has to be in the same building, might be next door?

And right back to the "why did GM keep GMC" question, we refer to the answer of "because GMC is the most profitable GM brand." You don't kill the golden goose.

Isn't GM getting out of heavy trucks anyway? the Topkick/Kodiak are dead.

Chicago had a lot of stand alone Buick stores that have closed and/or moved, one still had 'Opel' signs!

Isn't GM getting out of heavy trucks anyway? the Topkick/Kodiak are dead.

Chicago had a lot of stand alone Buick stores that have closed and/or moved, one still had 'Opel' signs!

Even if that is the case, you never know what kind of fleet sales they make to retail customers that buy trucks and only want to go to one dealership. Or only want to deal with a commercial dealership and don't want to have to take their work trucks to a Buick dealership to get repaired.

My local Buick dealer is a Chevy/Buick shop. I wonder what this will mean for them.

Edited by aaaantoine

My local Buick dealer is a Chevy/Buick shop. I wonder what this will mean for them.

We have a Pontiac/GMC/Cadillac dealership and a Buick/Saturn/Subaru/Suzuki dealership that are owned by 2 different dealership groups where I live. It will indeed be very interesting to see how this consolidation strategy works out.

Edited by cire

in my town there is a chevy pontiac dealer.

like five miles away is a chevy buick dealer.

apparently both are 'here to stay'.

there is a ford dealer 2 miles from my house that is in a new building. right next to it, another new dealership that was a chrysler dealer that folded, now the building sits empty. these new buildings are right off a major intersection on a very busy highway.

the chevy pontiac dealer is next to the VFW in a crappy old building and next to a third tier mexican restaurant. the chevy buick dealer is mixed in by a bunch of old 50's style ramblers on a road without much traffic.

i want to see how this shakes out because both chevy dealers suck. the next closest buick dealers also suck and are actually quite far away.

what i would like to see is for these two dealers to merge into one chevy/buick/gmc dealer and take over the empty new building with all the traffic, right by my house.

the one dealer by the mexican restaurant can't sell more than maybe 10 new cars a month i figure. but it seems like they move a lot of used cars, especially the low mileage late model stuff.

i live in a fairly heavy domestic brand area, and about the only other brands i think would take over the empty building is perhaps hyundai / kia because all the other brands are so saturated.

Edited by regfootball

they will be consolidated into 2,000 Buick-GMC dealers. Said Susan Docherty, general manager of Buick and GMC

Buick and GMC combined are on track to sell about 340,000 vehicles this year. Next year probably won't be much better, might be worse. With 2,000 dealers selling 340,000 vehicles, that's 14 vehicles sold per dealer per month. How sustainable does the GM braintrust think this is? And look who made the statement, the new head of sales.

A red G8 showed up at the BPG in Lowell. I want to take it for a spin while its still there.

Hello they're forgetting about the GMC Canyon. I guess the only unique Chevy truck then is the Avalanche.

Glenn Buick-GMC in Lexington was apparantly ahead of the curve ages ago. I remember being a kid passing through Lexington and wondering why they didn't sell Pontiacs like the some of the other dealers did when Buicks and GMCs sat on their lots.

Courtesy Pontiac-Acura looks as if will they will just be selling Acuras from now on. Maybe they'll pick up Buick-GMC too?

Edited by whiteknight

Well, then this'll bake yer noodle. Our local BPG dealer will lose Pontiac and gain the next local Chevy dealer by a consolidation of dealers, so all GM trucks will be alongside each other.

Personally, I like GMC better anway.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0