Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Motor Authority: Report: VW To Kill Porsche Panamera, Cayenne

27 posts in this topic

porsche_100226621_t.gif Porsche fans have loudly lamented the company's loss of independence , especially - as they see it - to Europe's prime purveyor of the mundane, Volkswagen . But that alliance may actually bring about the Porsche Purists' ultimate end goal: the eradication of the non-sports car models from Porsche's lineup - at least, if the latest ...

View the full article

Porsche fans have loudly lamented the company's loss of independence, especially - as they see it - to Europe's prime purveyor of the mundane, Volkswagen. But that alliance may actually bring about the Porsche Purists' ultimate end goal: the eradication of the non-sports car models from Porsche's lineup - at least, if the latest reports out of the UK are to be believed.

Take the following with a lifetime supply of salt, but according to a report in Car magazine, the Volkswagen Group is planning to force Porsche out of the SUV and sedan business once the current models are done with their run. That should take about seven years - the average lifespan of a car architecture.

The argument goes something like this: VW already builds plenty of sedans and SUVs through its VW and Audi brands, among others, and doesn't need the duplicative efforts of Porsche impeding growth and sapping development dollars.

That makes sense, in a way, but presumes that Porsche and VW's other brands overlap in a way that makes significant business sense. An extension of this logic would lead to the banishment of all sports cars from Audi's portfolio, including the stunning new A5 and its upcoming S5 Sportback and possible RS5 variants. Does that make sense?

And while they're at it, they might as well eliminate duplication between VW and Audi as well, and scrap all the sedans, wagons and SUVs at VW, leaving only a few hatchbacks, the rebadged Chrysler-based Routan minivan and a few odds and ends in the South American market.

And so on, to even greater levels of absurdity - why not throw Skoda into the mix? Surely Bentley and Lamborghini could use some tweaking as well?

On the other hand, a VW vendetta against Porsche's more mainstream offerings wouldn't be entirely out of character with the boardroom dramas and baby-monitor spy sagas of the previous two or so years of hostile takeover posturing.

Volkswagen also won't be putting Porsche development entirely on the back burner, instead leveraging a joint platform that's been discussed many times over the past year: a mid-engine, entry-level roadster like the Bluesport. The idea behind the project would be to revive the spirit of one of the cars that made Porsche great, the original 356.

Following on with the sports-cars-only theme, a possible replacement to the Carrera GT could also still be on the books, possibly something like the Le Mans Prototype RS Spyder-based car we previewed for you back in May.

Wow! That was fast.

SMK, you're going to have a limited time to quote the Panamera 'ring times. CTS-V could get it's crown back as fastest production sedan around the 'Ring.

Fast indeed. Wonder how things will change?

I like the Cayenne, and they seem to sell well also. But the Panamera can go.

And the Cayenne doesn't overlap with Audi's Suvs. They sell for much higher prices. I think Audi will have a problem selling $90,000 and $100,000 Suvs while Porsche won't.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Good, because capable they may be, they're both ugly as sin (Porsche seems incapable of designing anything besides a coupe). Plus IMO they do nothing for the brand image.

I thought I read the only reason Porsche pulled into the black was the Cayenne ??

Whatever- the cayenne & toureg were too obviously platform-mates... and that's where I read them as 'overlap'.

I thought I read the only reason Porsche pulled into the black was the Cayenne ??

Whatever- the cayenne & toureg were too obviously platform-mates... and that's where I read them as 'overlap'.

Yup.

I see both sides of this, but my heart says that a sports car only Porsche is a good thing.

Yes, the Cayenne was their volume and profit model. With them now owned by VW, don't need it anymore.

i saw some new pics of the panamera recently that it actually looked good. my main beef is that its just kinda huge. but to sell at that price it has to accomodate.

its more interesting to look at then a 7 series sedan, or an S class, or an A8.

i still think they can justify a panamera in the future, but i think they need to trim the ass a bit and work it into shape so its more sexy.

i saw some new pics of the panamera recently that it actually looked good. my main beef is that its just kinda huge. but to sell at that price it has to accomodate.

i still think they can justify a panamera in the future, but i think they need to trim the ass a bit and work it into shape so its more sexy.

Not if this gets the green light:

lamborghini-estoque-concept.jpg

I'll take that over a stretched, hump backed 911 any day.

It's the roofline and back door window shape that kills the Panamera styling for me...that upswept door window and transition from the roof to C-pillar is just so awkward, IMHO.....if they could have had more of a 911 shape to the window and roofline....though that would have limited the rear seat headroom too much, probably.

One odd detail I've noticed about the Panamera--I think it's the only current Porsche that actually spells out 'PORSCHE' on the rear? Like you have to read the name to know what it is???

Rob

Wow! That was fast.

SMK, you're going to have a limited time to quote the Panamera 'ring times. CTS-V could get it's crown back as fastest production sedan around the 'Ring.

Until the new M5 arrives and beats all these cars. Although I'd still want the Jag.

This move does make sense to get Porsche back to 2-doors only, and let Audi sell sedans and SUVs.

Until the new M5 arrives and beats all these cars. Although I'd still want the Jag.

This move does make sense to get Porsche back to 2-doors only, and let Audi sell sedans and SUVs.

And then Cadillac throws an underdrive pully on the supercharger.....

Yes, the Cayenne was their volume and profit model. With them now owned by VW, don't need it anymore.

But wait... how many threads have touched upon whether GMC or Buick or Cadillac or whathaveyou brand is profitable or not ?? If porsche in consistantly in the red without the cayenne, what sense does it make to keep building the brand period ?

But wait... how many threads have touched upon whether GMC or Buick or Cadillac or whathaveyou brand is profitable or not ?? If porsche in consistantly in the red without the cayenne, what sense does it make to keep building the brand period ?

I don't think they would have been 'consistently in the red', but they wouldn't have as much capital to invest in the core models.

Same sources that reported the Cayenne was 'financially saving' Porsche alluded to a 'number' of years of running in the red. With today's depressed auto/ big ticket market, the red ink would have to be an incoming tide... without a porsche SUV.

Same sources that reported the Cayenne was 'financially saving' Porsche alluded to a 'number' of years of running in the red. With today's depressed auto/ big ticket market, the red ink would have to be an incoming tide... without a porsche SUV.

It's a moot point now that Porsche is part of a much larger company.

On the surface; to the average Joe Generica, sure. But here, we like to pick issues to the bare bone. :wink:

So it's not, really. With little to no overlap / cost amortization, VW will continue to bleed red over the entire porsche line. Porsche on it's own did what they had to to survive, namely; jumping on the SUV bus. With that gone- the rest of the line is a financial open drain.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if VW --what with their idiotic phaeton ideals-- mines porsche for power/tech for VW, and reduces the brand to a half-handful of niche sports cars via cuts & more cuts.

Porsche isn't bleeding red ink or suffering any profit problems. In 2006 they made $2.7 billion in profit, and for their fiscal year that ended July of 2008, they posted an amazing $8.2 billion in profit. Some of that is through financing activities, it isn't all operational profit. However they are still smart enough in how they run their business to post huge profit numbers on relatively small sales volumes.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room