September Car Spotting Thread

Robert Hall

Saw today a '10 V6 Camaro in gray w/ the base wheels, first I've seen like that. Had a white pinstripe down the beltline.

Saw a couple personalized plates--an Infiniti Q56 (I think that's what the 3rd gen Q was called?) w/ the plate 'PAPAJHN'...thought he had a gold 2nd gen Camaro? :) Saw also a dark blue Acura RL w/ huge chrome bling wheels that had the plate 'GO N LO'..not really..more of 'GO N HI' with those big wheels.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of stuff... Including a 1970 Chevelle SS Red with Black Stripes it was perfect, not sure of the motor, also 1973 Pontiac Grandville 'Vert black on black with Rally II's in mint condition, 1987 Buick GN with t-tops black in good shape, sounded great. I will add more when I recall what else I saw...

Edited by gm4life

Thread title *yawn*

'70 medium green (prolly a factory color, although I've only seen it on Pontiacs before this) Sedan DeVille hardtop, black top and green cloth interior, lowered with factory wheel covers. Inch-wide, silver, tapered to zero vinyl stripes accentuating the body lines, in the parking lot at the grocery store this evening next to my car as I left. Hipster a little older than me sitting in driver's seat. I had to compliment him on his ride.

Edited by ocnblu

downsize-4.jpg

downsize-3.jpg

downsize-5.jpg

0831091949.jpg

the elky is a 68 it was marina blue with white yenko stripes, now is silver with black yenko stripes.

i thought the the van was just funny, a kyle petty look a like got in it and drove away.

the ss camaro is a raffle that the local hejaz shriners are giving away.

and just for fun it looks like our local subway has hit hard times and has started a side business...

downsize-2-1.jpg

Edited by cletus8269

Saw a beautiful black 64 El Camino, a Red 70ish Trans Am that was pristine, a really nice 70 Z28 in Daytona Yellow, two really cool early 70's B body Buicks...a blue 4 door that looked like it had just driven off of the showroom floor and a neat old green wagon with woodgrain sides and patina...

Saw several interesting personalized plates stuck in traffic this afternoon:

On a silver late model Viper roadster, 'THKUGOD'.

On a orange Cobalt SS, 'ENRGZR'.

On a black Merc SLK 'ERGHTHR' (?)

And the best I've seen in a while, on a screaming yellow Porsche 911 GT3 (996 era)--- 'BITEY'.

This new Inferno Orange 2SS Camaro at my car's 2nd home, Rocksand Racing in Bethlehem, PA:

2010CamaroRocksandRacingSummer20-5.jpg

2010CamaroRocksandRacingSummer20-4.jpg

2010CamaroRocksandRacingSummer20-3.jpg

Had essentially no miles but was just tagged & they trailered it over to the shop from Jersey for a list of things...cam, new coil-over suspension, etc...

I like orange and this is a hot car, but the orange+black+stock 21's just are a little too much for my tastes. But still.

Out on the highway: an Eclipse, eclipsing an Eclipse.

'46-47 Chevy pickup, primer black, rough, in parking lot.

'63 Ford Fairlane 2-dr sedan, black, mags, clean & poised, parked, for sale.

Pickin's lately, have been slim.

I see those toyota-engined lotuses all over- there's a dealer about 20 minutes from me.

It was apparently "pick-on-the-retro-wagons" day on the PA Tpk. Of the 3 cars I saw pulled over by state troopers, 2 were PT Cruisers and 1 was an HHR.

Also saw a brand new Mary Kay STS, a Challenger, a new Camaro, and a Lotus.

I'm in Princeton NJ btw until tomorrow night.

Also along this trip I had an odd moment of automotive Zen.... like when the planets align just right. I have a Volvo S40 rental and was following a Fusion with a Zephyr and Mazda 6 behind me.

edit: Oh yeah... and apparently someone bought a Mitsubishi Raider. Saw my first one ever.... and probably my last.

After not seeing them for a long time, I've seen a bunch of 70-73 RS Z28 split bumper Camaros. A nice one in orange Sunday, and one in red Thursday, both really nice shape.

Chris

Nice yellow H3 and a black Solstice, parked at a campsite with a brand new trailer. Fellow GM fans... and then it hit me, both vehicles are still hot, even as their respective divisions grow cold in death. Damn you, GM, for dropping the ball you held for so many decades.

Haven't notices any particularly interesting cars today, but did see an Air China 747 at the airport this morning, parked at the same special terminal Air Force One was a couple weeks ago. Must have been something official, since AFAIK Air China doesn't have scheduled flights to PHX.

Yes, a whole bunch of cars spotted over the Labor Day weekend:

- a new white G8 on I-5 south of Seattle and near the airport, as I was driving north to Vancouver...I was in an adjacent lane and the driver noticed I was giving the car the once-over, so he smiled in appreciation

- a new red G8 at a dealership north of Seattle in a granolafied college town. I took pictures of it. A woman noticed I was taking photos of it and said it was nice. Already knowing how she would answer, I asked her what car she was looking into. She beamed, "Subaru WRX sedan." MWAHAHAHAHA. Life can be so predictable. BTW, with a sunrood, its MSRP was only $29,290.

- a red 1967 or 1968 Pontiac Firebird with a 400 V8 parked at a meter on Broadway, east of Cambie, in Vancouver Canada. It was in perfect condition.

- a new red Saturn Astra coupe at a crosswalk south of the Cambie Street Bridge in Vancouver Canada. As I was walking by, I gave the driver the thumbs up sign. He stuck his head out the window and said "Thank you very much!"

- a new red Camaro on I-5 soutbound near Everett WA. The Camaro looks great in rear 3/4 view. Beautiful. They got this right. However, I feel that the roof rail didn't have to be as thick, and they could still keep its great profile. Also, I think the front lamps should have a squarish shape, complementing the rest of the oval/squarish features in the car. Of the pony cars out there, it is clearly the best. However, I would have been curious to see a "twin" Firebird, since I liked Pontiac more than Chevrolet.

- oh yeah, at 6:28 pm, as my LaCrosse was leaving Vancouver, a British Airways 747-400 crossed over me on the Oak Street Bridge at the Vancouver city limit with Richmond, their airport suburb. Still, and always will be, the world's most beautiful aircraft.

The LaCrosse ran like a champ, got gas mileage and I have some nice photos of it with Vancouver as a backdrop.

Edited by trinacriabob

a black Oldsmobile 88, just like this one

I always enjoy seeing full-size GM cars in Europe, with their horizontally long license plates, but never have my camera handy. :angry:

IIRC, the most memorable sighting was an 87 (to 89) Pontiac Bonneville sedan on the boulevard in front of the port in Trieste, Italy.

I always enjoy seeing full-size GM cars in Europe, with their horizontally long license plates, but never have my camera handy. :angry:

IIRC, the most memorable sighting was an 87 (to 89) Pontiac Bonneville sedan on the boulevard in front of the port in Trieste, Italy.

One memorable one for me was an '04 or so dark blue Euro-spec Tahoe parked across the street from the Colleseum in Rome. It looked huge amidst the Fiats and other typical European cars.

Haven't seen anything memorable today so far...

What I'm guessing was a 2010 Acadia at the local BP, err... BG dealership. I say this because it had a different wheel design than I've seen thus far. It's raining, so I didn't get out of the car to check the VIN or window sticker.

Took a sunset cruise in the Miata with my 13 year old daughter Joanna tonight. We saw a beautiful red Cobalt SS TC, a beautiful red HHR, and a nice, sweetly detailed new Cadillac CTS in a wine red color that was just wonderful.

Chris

- oh yeah, at 6:28 pm, as my LaCrosse was leaving Vancouver, a British Airways 747-400 crossed over me on the Oak Street Bridge at the Vancouver city limit with Richmond, their airport suburb. Still, and always will be, the world's most beautiful aircraft.

Had a 747 pass over me while I was driving top down near Columbus airport. They are a sweet looking aircraft indeed!

Chris

Had a 747 pass over me while I was driving top down near Columbus airport. They are a sweet looking aircraft indeed!

Wow, they're not scheduled for passenger service into Columbus. Do any of the big freight companies operate out of there? (They will typically have some '47s for some critical cargo/freight routes). Yes, indeed, they are so damn photogenic!

Chris

I see them often, since my commute goes right past Sky Harbor Airport on I-10 and I go to the airport twice a week for drop off/pick up of my sister. Last Thursday evening I was driving to the airport and saw at sunset a beautiful British Airways 747 take off right over the freeway...I've been on that evening PHX to LHR flight several times before.

On my Monday 6am airport run, I saw an Air China 747 parked in the same place I saw Air Force One a couple weeks ago..

I've flown across the ponds in both 747s and 777s, but I prefer the 747. One of the best airports for viewing them is Honolulu--walking along between the concourses you see the planes pretty close up.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Wow, they're not scheduled for passenger service into Columbus. Do any of the big freight companies operate out of there? (They will typically have some '47s for some critical cargo/freight routes). Yes, indeed, they are so damn photogenic!

I have seen frieght '47's but I am pretty damn sure that it was a passenger '47 that passed over me. Pretty impressive when your driving a 2300# car!

Chris

I have seen frieght '47's but I am pretty damn sure that it was a passenger '47 that passed over me. Pretty impressive when your driving a 2300# car!

Chris

Seeing them coming in over the city to land at Sky Harbor when driving up I-10 from the south is impressive...at one point when they are over the freeway, from the angle of the road, it looks like they are only 50 feet above 8 lanes of traffic...

Rob

Seeing them coming in over the city to land at Sky Harbor when driving up I-10 from the south is impressive...at one point when they are over the freeway, from the angle of the road, it looks like they are only 50 feet above 8 lanes of traffic...

Ok, Moltie, we are now going to do a plane spotting thread monthly...just kidding! I know there are some airplane aficionados on here...

(I, too, have flown on the 777 and was not impressed...actually, it's like an unloved stepchild, with many people resenting the fact that it has replaced the 747 for numerous carriers, such as Alitalia...I actually prefer the largest 767, the stretch 400 series, with individual monitors to a 777, because the 2-3-2 seating config. is very user-friendly)