September Car Spotting Thread

Robert Hall

Did I miss this? Is Allure now LaCrosse in Canada, thinking the Quebecois would get over it?

Well, the two I have seen at the dealer are badged Allure, but....

GM exercises self-love, plans to re-name Canada's Buick Allure LaCrosse after all:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?sh...ic=41506&hl

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flow the 777-200 Business Class Delta DL184, 16.5 hours nonstop service Atlanta - Bombay the other day. I loved the seats, they are so much comfortable and the fact they are like 100 ways adjustable just like SMK wants Caddy seats to be make them good for long journeys.

Back to cars...this is kind of a sad one, and sorry if I seem to post so much sad stuff but...

I usually buy gas at the station right by the Ross County fairgrounds on my way home on Thursdays. Several times, I have run into a very friendly older guy with an immaculate red HHR. His kids are grown and we have often talked of how much fun he and his wife were having driving the HHR around on trips, just the two of them and how happy he was with his HHR.

Wednesday, about a mile past the station, I saw a flatbed truck with what I am pretty sure was his HHR and a nearly brand new black Malibu. Looked like someone had rear ended the HHR and pushed it into the 'bu. From what I could see the rear wheels no longer lined up in the wheel wells of the HHR and the bags looked to be blown. I'd say for sure it and probably the 'bu are a gonner.

Worried about the guy I talk to, hope he and his wife are OK.

Chris

...and another sad one, I always hate to see cars die. Went to scrap out some copper and some old electrical motors at a local salvage/scrap metal yard. Lots of CFC cars and some other decent looking cars, all getting flattened intact.

They were getting ready to flatten a seemingly undamaged Chrysler Concorde that looked to be in pretty good shape. Not sure if the 3.5 Concorde was eligible for CFC, but the Concorde looked Wayyy to nice to crush...

Chris

Saw a couple interesting vintage GMs this morning. First, a goregous bronze '70 Skylark convertible, tan interior, top down, and 2nd, a bright red '58-59 Chevy Apache longbed fleetside pickup, lowered front suspension, '67 style Chevy Rally wheels, wide ones in back.

At local Ford dealer: beautiful dark blue '10 Mustang Pony with black leather and stripe delete. Those polished 18" rims really set it off. Too bad it had an autotragic transmission (although a recent car mag test says the V6 manual transmission is horrible). Two white Transit Connects, cool little spunks. Supreme 2010 red Taurus SEL with "SOLD" tag on the dash.

Dodge dealer: hot, black metallic '10 Challenger SE with Rallye Pack. Those retro black and machined-face rims and the chrome "fuel" door really set this thing off nicely. '10 Challenger SRT, again in black metallic. Also, a '10 Charger SXT... no visible changes. I guess the reskin was pushed back?

"My" old BG dealer: nothing. Nada, except one '09 Sonoma Red Sierra Denali ($51k!) a few commercial trucks and some 25 and 3500 HD Sierras. Cardboard display extolling the virtues of the 2010 Terrain inside the showroom, but no vehicle. All Pontiacs sold, no Buicks on the lot. Sad.

Chevy dealer: Same as last time, a bunch of 2010 Malibus and Traverses, but not much else. No Camaros, no Equinoxes, no Colorados, 2 Cobalts.

How is it that little whistlefart Chrysler and lucky, smart Ford are getting plenty of 2010s on the lots and GM lots are still barren? Something's up.

EDIT: forgot to mention a triple red '84 Olds Delta 88 coupe in pristine shape, rolling down the street in fine style.

Edited by ocnblu

Also, a '10 Charger SXT... no visible changes. I guess the reskin was pushed back?

It was for 2011, not 2010--just a few more typical model year updates this go around, then a newer car. Well, if it doesn't get pushed off further, as the Fiat guys were not impressed with the 2011 300/Charger Chrylser had done and wanted something more different...so...we'll see.

As for the lack of 2010 GM's...yeah...cars and crossovers have been pumping, but selling decently enough, and there's still no 2010 full size truck or SUV production going, so there's a big spot of empty on all the lots.

Edited by caddycruiser

I was driving past the local Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership this past weekend and I noticed that there were very few vehicles on the lot. There were some Sierra's, but no Acadia's. There were a bunch of G3's and G5' and a couple of Vibe's. No Buicks at all. As I was driving through shaking my head, I noticed a black Terrain sitting in the shade close to the building. I thought I was seeing things. I stopped and got out and took a look. Very nice. There was no sticker showing options or details, but it did show the mileage ratings (24/34, from what I remember). The inside looks very nice and with the chrome wheels I thought it looked very sharp. I was going to ask if it was available for a test drive, but I had to be somewhere else.

If it's still there later this week, maybe I'll try again.

Definitely has much better lines than the Taurus it replaces.

You're not kidding. The new Taurus is a beautiful car. The ONLY thing I don't like is the console level relative to the seats, making me feel small once inside. (The seating position and console height is much user friendly in the Fusion for those of us of average height).

Yes! New Taurus!

I do like the SRX myself.

Interesting ragtops out and about:

Nice maroon early style (1962 or so) Corvair convertible, family with a good looking dog and two kids out for a spin.

Nice red MGB, followed by one in light blue that looked fabulous.

A black S-10 second gen made into a roadster/ragtop. I normally don't care for this...but this one was well done and looked good.

Fullsize 75ish Pontiac Convertible

34 Ford Roadster, Street Rod, Yellow...

Lotus Elise with the Top section removed

Four really good looking females in a pretty beat up Five Ohhh Foxbody Mustang.

Nice looking 76ish Corvette, red, not a convertible but the T-Tops were out adn the driver had a big smile.

Great looking C4 Corvette, maroon, top down, older couple driving it.

Chris

Also, good looking lifted Chevrolet mid 90's Truck, Regular Cab, maybe running 35's. NICE looking redheaded female driving it, as I get closer (truck is in a gas station) I notice a can of Skoal hanging out of her back pocket. She turned around and had a large wad of Chewing tobacco in her mouth!

A country girl for sure. I like country females...but not THAT country....

Chris

I do like the SRX myself.

Interesting ragtops out and about:

Nice maroon early style (1962 or so) Corvair convertible, family with a good looking dog and two kids out for a spin.

Nice red MGB, followed by one in light blue that looked fabulous.

A black S-10 second gen made into a roadster/ragtop. I normally don't care for this...but this one was well done and looked good.

Fullsize 75ish Pontiac Convertible

Chris

Nice..getting into convertible season here now...

Saw a bright red '10 Mustang GT convertible, top down on the freeway this morning. Also a clean mid '90s Merc 500SL roadster in black, top down.

Rob

Saw my first white Camaro in the wild the other day.

Yes, it would be interesting to see all the colors. I bet white shows off its lines fairly well.

Thus far, I've seen red, silver and yellow (in that order of frequency).

Yes, it would be interesting to see all the colors. I bet white shows off its lines fairly well.

Thus far, I've seen red, silver and yellow (in that order of frequency).

Around here black has been the most common color..then yellow, bright red and silver. Also, i've seen one in white (looks great), one in the dark red, one in the met. orange. Haven't seen a gray one or either of blues yet.

Saw a new Honda Insight for the first time today..maroon, was directly behind me..didn't get to see the side or rear, the front through my rearview mirror. Saw a white Transit Connect on a car hauler, first I'd seen. Also saw a current style Transit (the big one) tall roof window van.

Today at lunch, a blue and white 59 Corvette parked at McDonalds. Not restored, looked like a well loved survivor. Cool!

Out with Oldsmoboi tonight, went to get a sandwich with Olds and my daughter Joanna...we saw a beautiful blue Charger when we pulled back into the lot at Olds hotel.

Beautiful Z3 ragtop rolling north on 104 in northern Ross County.

Cobalt SS

A blue 2010 Camaro out in front of Dave Gill Chevrolet at Broad and Hamilton, and another one on US 23 south of Circleville.

Chris

Today was an American car day. I drove west and north away from suburbia and Philly, and you could watch the mix of cars shift from import to domestic with each mile.

Saw 4 new Camaros (three on a lot one of which was being shown to a customer) and one on the road. The Dodge store I passed had 2 Challengers right up front and the road was filled with domestic pickups.

It was a good day.

Today was an American car day. It was a good day.

On the way home this p.m., I saw another brand new Mustang...it was white...a GT, I believe...again, with dealer advertisement plates only at this point.

(Are these mechanically any good? How much is the most basic of Mustangs with their 4.0 L V6? The ones I've seen at the dealer seem too optioned-up and not what I would ever pay).

I do not like the Challenger at all, so those don't "make me or break me."

BTW, I also saw an ElCamino parked at a meter this morning...it had the stacked rectangular headlamps, making it a '76 or '77. I took a picture of it with my phone so, once I learn how to download this from a phone, it should be in the October spotting thread. :lol:

I parked next to a red Ferrari 430 from Florida in a garage in Philadelphia's Chinatown last night. Kinda interesting to see one of those.

Don't remember where exactly I was, but I remember passing a beautiful blue Bel Air hardtop. And then this morning, I drove by a maroon '68 Delta 88 coupe.

Metallic red Terrain, at dealership. AWD SLE-1, $26k even MSRP. First one I've seen... wicked. White 2010 LaCrosse, nice tan velour interior. Both at "my" BG dealership.

White AWD 1LT Equinox at closest Chevy dealer, with misaligned driver's door. At another nearby dealer, 3 Equinoxes, black AWD 2LT with brown leather (hot!) blue FWD 1LT (nice color) and white AWD 1LT... all with "sold" tags hanging from the mirrors.

Edited by ocnblu

1962 Impala Hardtop 2 Door Cream (with nice mags, and it was mint)

1963ish Ford Galaxy 500 Drop Top again it was Cream (not as mint as the Impala but nice none the less.)

2010 Chevy Camaro 1 or 2LT with 19inch polished alloy wheels in Victory Red (great looking whip)

2010 Chevy Camaro LT/RS or SS or SS/RS in Yellow with polished wheels, I was to far away to get a good look!

On the way to church today out of nowhere there was a 1933 or later Lasalle coupe with side mounts in dropdead black It must have been going to Carillon Historical Park for the concurs de elegance show. I jockeyed around it for over 1.5mi & 4 traffic lights man what a car, was thinking of Bathy on this one still smiling 14hrs later.

Saw a '77 Catalina 4dr today...was pretty straight and solid, dark red paint faded on the roof, hood and deck. Don't see those very often.

That would have been interesting...that was the first year for the Pontiac 4.9 L V8 (or 301 cubic inch). If I'm not mistaken, the base Catalina might have even come with a 3.8 V6 as standard. Do you remember those 3.8s shoved against the firewall, with enough room for a picnic in front of them?!

Saw the weirdest car, but I'll save that for when I get it off my camera.

However, in terms of more conventional cars, I saw a dark green Subaru Forester wagon with the oval LL Bean logo and a personalized plate that said:

"4EST WMN," or "Forest Woman"

Well, she looked more like a plump Rod Stewart. But I was driving, so I couldn't take a picture.

saw a Cadillac CTS wagon today. White is not its best color and why did they look at Volvo for the taillights. they are way to big and span the entire height of the back end.

An S550 and an R500, both with clergy tags. The Benzes struck me as extravagant for any kind of religious need.

Also, the state recently bought some K5 Blazers for use around campus. Not only are they K5s, but these are ex-military units painted in green-brown-black army camo with Detroit Diesels under the hood.

A red '10 GMC Terrain SLT with the standard machined wheels and all new-shiny with PA tags...looks very cool on the road from the front & sides, and makes that "small" crossover platform seem trucky, if only the rear were nicer and less Rendezvous.

It's just like when the Envoy-Trailblazer came out. I didn't like the Envoy and thought it looked strange, vs. the "cool" Trailblazer, then the Chevy got too common and the Envoy became the ritzier twin. Love the new Equinox lines inside & out, but I've already seen so many of them, everywhere, in every color and trim, my eye is now going more to the Terrain as the unique choice with those guts, and more standout.

Brand new metallic red LT/RS Camaro at local dealer, black leather/black hood stripes. Yellow paint scuff mark on right side mirror. :rolleyes:

Deepwater Blue '10 Challenger R/T at local dealer, with retro package... "Challenger" script on fender in original font, chrome "FUEL" door, polished torquethrust-style rims... $39k, but cool.

in the past week

0927091922.jpg

downsize-8.jpg

downsize_1.jpg

hanging out at the local "GM Superstore" a smooth $28K on the sticker sigh...

downsize_2-1.jpg

flagrantly zipped across 4 lanes of traffic to get this pic up close.

downsize_1-1.jpg

downsize_1-1.jpg

group of 4 cars heading to tennessee 2 weeks ago

0916092223.jpg

downsize_5.jpg

one of the ER doc's ride.

edit. jeez photobucket mobile sucks, all those pics were the same resolution...

Edited by cletus8269

Freshly prepped Red Jewel '10 Camaro 2SS parked next to the yellow 2SS with ground effects & that's been sitting for an odd amount of time now at the local GM dealer...something about Red Jewel & polished wheels just POPS.

Hell, it made my Malibu driving "I don't like red on anything" call me one day (a different Camaro, nonetheless) to say she was looking at a really shiny dark red metallic one and it was just such a "sharp car, really sharp car...I want one". If only.

Edited by caddycruiser

Yeah, I took my mom by the Chevy dealer, and when she saw that Red Jewel LT/RS, she went ape$h!. She looked at me and said "ohhhh, Billy, that's a sharp car!":lol:

It's just something about that car & colors like that...and moms :AH-HA_wink:

I told her at least it would probably get better mileage than her 4-cyl Malibu pig does, and as long as it isn't fire engine red or yellow, she's good to go with my approval. But alas...

This also falls into September, with yesterday alone me seeing at least 10 new Equinox's, again in every color & trim, and various states of brand new or filth, just cruising around. You'd swear, in no time at all, everyone and their brothers found out about the new model, drove it, and had to have one...but I'm still not sure how with the lack of marketing, generally. Doing great, and again, EVERYWHERE.