Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

2010 Dodge Caliber gets new interior, Europe gets new diesel

29 posts in this topic

Filed under: Frankfurt Motor Show, Dodge, Diesel

dg010_034ca-630.jpg
2010 Dodge Caliber interior - Click above for high-res image gallery

Chrysler doesn't really have anything in the way of all-new vehicles for the 2010 model year as it works out how to get Fiat derived cars onto American roads as soon as possible. That doesn't mean the engineers and designers in Auburn Hills have been sitting on their hands, however. They have attacked at least one major sore point by giving the Caliber a much-needed interior makeover. We haven't seen it in person yet, but at least in these photos it certainly looks much better than the one it replaces. We'll have to wait to get our hands on for final judgment.

The inside isn't the only thing that changes. Under the hood, European Caliber buyers will be able to opt for a new 2.2-liter diesel engine with 163 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. That version gets a combined mileage rating of 40.6 mpg (U.S.). Back here in the home country, we are still stuck with the much unloved 2.0- and 2.4-liter gasoline World engines.

Come on, Chrysler give Americans a chance at an affordable diesel - and not just in the (overpriced) Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Caliber will be on the Chrysler/Fiat stand in Frankfurt later this month - in the meantime, check out the press release after the jump and our high-res gallery below.

[source: Chrysler]

Continue reading 2010 Dodge Caliber gets new interior, Europe gets new diesel

2010 Dodge Caliber gets new interior, Europe gets new diesel originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:05:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=_Neaa68TVUg:HD8zXURnrXM:wF9xT autoblog?i=_Neaa68TVUg:HD8zXURnrXM:V_sGL
_Neaa68TVUg

View the full article

For comparison's sake:

dg010_034ca-1280.jpg

10_phtgal_cal_09.jpg

Huge improvement...looks almost VW-ish now. Nice to see the new interior wasn't designed with only a ruler.

WAY better!

They got rid of those god awful square (er rectangular?) holes in the dash.

The Caravan needs its remodeled too...

dodgra_09_3_cd_gallery.jpg

Come on, Chrysler give Americans a chance at an affordable diesel - and not just in the (overpriced) Jeep Grand Cherokee.

They did. PT Cruiser and Liberty got diesels.

For comparison's sake:

dg010_034ca-1280.jpg

10_phtgal_cal_09.jpg

Huge improvement...looks almost VW-ish now. Nice to see the new interior wasn't designed with only a ruler.

Agreed.

I remember the Liberty diesel, don't recall a PT Cruiser diesel in the US.

I remember the Liberty diesel, don't recall a PT Cruiser diesel in the US.

Me either.

Nice update, but it might be too little, too late?

It's still slightly too upright and blocky for me, but it no longer appears as if ChryCo slapped it together out of a tub of Legos. The materials appear to be vastly superior to what its predecessor had (then again, what wasn't and isn't, as far as modern cars go?).

Edited by whiteknight

As far as I know there was never a PT diesel for sale in the US. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall that. As for the Liberty CRD. It sold very well. It was only discontinued because the engine couldn't meet the new emissions and it wasn't cost effective to make it meet them.

WAY better!

They got rid of those god awful square (er rectangular?) holes in the dash.

The Caravan needs its remodeled too...

dodgra_09_3_cd_gallery.jpg

If I were Chrysler I would shove the Routan's interior into one or both of the vans when VW inevitably cancels their version.

there was not a pt cruiser diesel. if there was, show me one on a used car lot i can buy today.

this new interior on the caliber is not particularly stunning.

its improved, but its not tha shizzle.

the chrylser vans need big time interior redos. the routan is the best, but its a vw, the top end T/C is not too bad either but the boxy dash is terrible as is where they put they shifter. it all screams 'i'm a big f-ckin nerd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' in a big way............of course, the sienna and odyseey have terrible interiors too.

someone needs to make a sexy minivan.

Edited by regfootball

From Autoblog:

2010 Dodge Caliber gets new interior, Europe gets new diesel

dg010_034ca-630.jpg

Chrysler doesn't really have anything in the way of all-new vehicles for the 2010 model year as it works out how to get Fiat derived cars onto American roads as soon as possible. That doesn't mean the engineers and designers in Auburn Hills have been sitting on their hands, however. They have attacked at least one major sore point by giving the Caliber a much-needed interior makeover. We haven't seen it in person yet, but at least in these photos it certainly looks much better than the one it replaces. We'll have to wait to get our hands on for final judgment.

The inside isn't the only thing that changes. Under the hood, European Caliber buyers will be able to opt for a new 2.2-liter diesel engine with 163 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. That version gets a combined mileage rating of 40.6 mpg (U.S.). Back here in the home country, we are still stuck with the much unloved 2.0- and 2.4-liter gasoline World engines.

Come on, Chrysler give Americans a chance at an affordable diesel – and not just in the (overpriced) Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Caliber will be on the Chrysler/Fiat stand in Frankfurt later this month – in the meantime, check out the press release after the jump and our high-res gallery below.

See full article for more pics and press release: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/01/2010-do...ets-new-diesel/

I wish we got s small diesel. I wish the Caliber's new diesel would come over here.

the death of the not-as-good-as-the-Neon-SRT4 pocket-rocket Dodge Caliber SRT4.

...and that's why. I mean it looked better than the normal Caliber, and sure it made a lot of power, but the old SRT4 could run rings around it, and honestly I like the looks of it better.

The original SRT4 destroyed teh competition. Sure it wasn't as refined as others but that wasn't teh point. It was designed to be teh best performance you could get for around $20k, and right up until it was killed nothing could out perform it.

Meanwhile, teh Caliber SRT4 couldn't outperform...well..any of the hot compacts.

All I want is a set of the Caliber SRT4's wheels.

Ok then...somehow this thread got screwed up, ended up with the wrong title, then ended up back in the feed.

I always liked the exterior design of the Caliber, except for the cost cutting measures like flat black door handles and sideview mirrors. The interior was definitely a giant misstep, but it looks as though that issue has been addressed. Maybe this update will improve this vehicle's fortunes.

I still think Chrysler dropped the ball by using their compact car platform to only produce CUV type vehicles. Not offering a sedan and coupe in the compact segment was a serious oversight on Chrysler's part. The Caliber should have been one part of a three vehicle compact lineup for the Dodge brand. Chrysler should have spent more time on this than producing 2 compact CUVs off this platform for Jeep. I think Jeep would have been better off with just the Patriot; it really didn't need the Compass. Dodge, on the other hand, really did need a compact sedan and coupe to complement the Caliber.

Edited by cire

I always liked the exterior design of the Caliber, except for the cost cutting measures like flat black door handles and sideview mirrors. The interior was definitely a giant misstep, but it looks as though that issue has been addressed. Maybe this update will improve this vehicle's fortunes.

I still think Chrysler dropped the ball by using their compact car platform to only produce CUV type vehicles. Not offering a sedan and coupe in the compact segment was a serious oversight on Chrysler's part. The Caliber should have been one part of a three vehicle compact lineup for the Dodge brand. Chrysler should have spent more time on this than producing 2 compact CUVs off this platform for Jeep. I think Jeep would have been better off with just the Patriot; it really didn't need the Compass. Dodge, on the other hand, really did need a compact sedan and coupe to complement the Caliber.

Well said, I agree 100%.

Well said, I agree 100%.

Well I disagree with both of you ---- and I own one!

Bought it because of the hatchback and flat-folding second row seats!