Variance

Jaguar to launch production version of new XK...

16 posts in this topic

Link: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103063

Jaguar to launch production version of new XK at Frankfurt; vehicle set to arrive next spring
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 8/26/05

Jaguar is set to take the wraps off of the production version its next-generation XK at next month's Frankfurt auto show, with sales of the 2+2 coupe expected to begin in North America next spring as an '07 model.

Succeeding the previous Jaguar XK coupe/convertible range introduced in 1996, the next-gen XK is powered by the latest generation of Jag's naturally aspirated 4.2-liter AJ-V8 engine, developing 300 hp, with a supercharged version developing upwards of 400 hp on the way. Power is routed to Jaguar's new sequential shift 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddles. The car moves from 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds and hustles through the quarter mile in 14.4 seconds with a top speed electronically limited to155 mph, according to Jaguar.

Thanks to the new vehicle's all-aluminum construction, Jaguar claims an 31% increase in bodyshell stiffness over the previous generation steel-bodied XK. It is also lighter than its predecessor at 3671 lbs.

Key features and options include keyless entry, push button start, active lighting, an Alpine Dolby Pro-logic II 525 watt surround sound system and Sirius satellite radio. Bluetooth wireless is standard.

A convertible model will also become available, details of which will be announced later this year. Official pricing will be announced at the beginning of next year.

Jaguar design director Ian Callum describes the XK as having 'clean lines, a purposeful stance and exquisite proportions'.

"The fundamental values of Jaguar design do not change," explains Callum. "We took influences from our heritage and evolved them to produce a car that is beautiful, visually fast yet undeniably modern – just as Sir William Lyon's (Jaguar founder) own designs were in their day."

Production of the vehicle will take place at Jaguar's Castle Bromwich plant in the West Midlands region of the U.K.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by VarianceJ30

The general profile of body is still very much the same as current. I would have thought they would make some significant changes to this old body style. I do like the freshened rear and front.

I don't like it, but I think it'll grow on me like the old one did. I can't believe that it's 9 years old already... it certainly doesn't look it. Here's an '03 XKR:

Posted Image
Posted Image Edited by empowah

I love the new XK's backend and side profile but I'm not a fan of the front. Then again, you can tell the Aston Martin designer (Ian Callum) designed this one. It'll probably sell well. Hopefully, at least. Jag needs a shot in the arm.

I forgot to mention this in my post yesterday but that start/stop button looks extremely cheap, like it came off an arcade game or something.

That interior is beautiful. I wonder why you would buy a DB9 when you can have this for half the price.

That interior is beautiful. I wonder why you would buy a DB9 when you can have this for half the price.

[post="5018"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

-The DB9 has a V12

-The DB9 looks better (IMO)

-While the interior in the Jag is good, the DB9's is better still...

Posted Image

Posted Image

-And the Aston is more exclusive (if you care about that kind of thing)

I'm in love with that interior... very classy/modern interpretation of Jag's traditional interior. Wow!

And the Aston is more exclusive (if you care about that kind of thing)

[post="5022"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So exclusive, you will never see one on the street, ever....

I can't rememeber the last time I've seen someone driving Aston Martin anything.....even rappers, who try way too hard to buy/rent things that show they have money, have steered clear of that nameplate overall....

So exclusive, you will never see one on the street, ever....

I can't rememeber the last time I've seen someone driving Aston Martin anything.....even rappers, who try way too hard to buy/rent things that show they have money, have steered clear of that nameplate overall....

[post="5541"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The only time I've seen an Aston Martin on the road was when a couple was driven in one to our senior prom. Not really "official" to me.

Aston Martins are rare, though a guy on my street has a Vanquish (he also has two Porsches, two Lexi, and probably more that I've never seen). I've only seen him drive it twice I think, and I think he keeps it stored somewhere (not his garage). He has houses all over the world so I'm sure he has some pretty exclusive cars elsewhere too. He owns Flex-N-Gate (if anyone cares), which is the company making the bumpers for the GMT900s.

NIce car. Sexy stying. But still a wee bit to much "Ford" in it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead