Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Papa John's Camaro reward situation turns salty, ex-owners looking for bigger slice of the pie

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Government/Legal

sloanes_sue_papa.jpg

File this under "No Cool, Wacky Deed Shall Go Unlitigated." John Schnatter, Papa John of Papa John's Pizza, put out a $250,000 A.P.B. to find his long lost 1971 1/2 Camaro Z28. According to the folks at Papa John, the person who won the money was the one whose name was on the title of the car - that is, the owner of the car was paid the dosh for selling the car back to Schnatter. Kentuckian Jeff Robinson came forth with the car and took home the cash.

The Papa John's folks say the rules never said anything about finder's fees. But when the Sloanes of Indiana helped point Schnatter to Robinson, Schnatter offered them $25,000 for the assist. How did the Sloanes know about the car? They had owned it previously and sold it to Robinson.

Now the Sloanes aren't happy about "only" getting $25,000. Billie Sloane wants more of that quarter million, and will sue Papa John if he doesn't pony up the cake. Her evidence is "advertisements and a press release that promised the money to whomever could 'reveal the car's whereabouts.'" Jeff Robinson chimes in, though, and says Sloane came to him and said the original owner would buy the car from him for $125,000, and says that she didn't mention the contest nor the full amount of the reward.

No matter. Now it's between Sloane, Papa, and potentially the courts. If only Papa John had listened to the late M.J. about another famous Billie: "So take my strong advice, just remember to always think twice..." Um, yeah, never saw this one coming. Good luck, Papa John...

[source: WLKY News]

Papa John's Camaro reward situation turns salty, ex-owners looking for bigger slice of the pie originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=sjY2UDqHya4:-lsF4rv584c:wF9xT autoblog?i=sjY2UDqHya4:-lsF4rv584c:V_sGL
sjY2UDqHya4

View the full article

Rotten freakin bastards!

To ruin such a cool thing just outright sucks.

I know. This was a cool little story, with a happy ending for the guy, and plenty of Camaro drivers. Yet someone just has to go and ruin it. <_<

Maybe some Camaro owners in the Sloane family's area should practice some burnouts on their front lawn. :P

Edited by Captainbooyah

And they're a half-assed backwards HOOSIER to boot!! LOVE IT!! Further proof that Indiana and the people in it suck major ass!!

Greedy assholes.

Thank god those self-righteous, sadistic motherf@#kers didn't crawl out of Kentucky's woodwork for once.

Greedy artards..w/ 25k, they can go buy another Camaro.

IF I had that Camaro the first thing I would do is get a paint job on that thing. I hate the Earth tone car colors of the late sixties and early 70's. I have a 66 Mustang and when I got it it had the orginal paint which was tan. First thing I did when I had enough money was go down to Earl Schieb and get Orange peel metallic Blue on that thing. No regrets to this day. Best $450 dollars I ever spent and that was in 1997.

And they're a half-assed backwards HOOSIER to boot!! LOVE IT!! Further proof that Indiana and the people in it suck major ass!!

Yeah, that statement shows no uneducated bias or anything.

Dur.

Dur.

Croc's actually originally from Indiana. He's just mad the state kicked him out and forced him live the the-state-that's-perpetually-on-fire California.

Even with the grand majority of the moral world against such an act of greed, one can still find it within them to continue the pursuit of money. What a biatch.

Croc's actually originally from Indiana. He's just mad the state kicked him out and forced him live the the-state-that's-perpetually-on-fire California.

I'm from Indiana too. Tons of good, intelligent people there.

they had best throw that right out of court in a hurry... do you realize the repercussions of that lawsuit following through to actual entitlement?

think about all the cars people have sold, then someone takes said car to say barret-jackson, or mecum and the car brings 25K-40K more with nothing done to it.

i doubt that will carry in court especially since B-J just defeated the guy who said they shorted him by not leaving his car on the block long enough.

those people have no entitlement to the vehicle anymore. the name on the TITLE isnt theirs.

In an old issue of Muscle Car Review, the editor in chief talks about when he first moved down to florida he stopped in a place to get a haircut. the lady asked what he did for a living and he told her he was a writer for a muscle car magazine. she said she knew where a 340 barracuda was for for sale where she lived. it was red with a pin down hood and had black things over the window in the back. well he went to look at it and it was a mess. the 340 was in terrible shape, the car had mismatched wheels and a funky billboard design on the side. he thought the asking price was a little steep so he passed. told a guy about it at work and he asked if he checked the vin tag. he forgot to. they both went back and nearly crapped themselves cause it was a 1970 R code in plum crazy. they went halfers on the car and ended up selling it cause they didnt have the money to drop on it for the resto it needed. they sold it to a guy for like $10K who was a known Mopar national collector. the car sold at auction a while back for close to $250K. he kicks himself for not keeping it but he says it was in the car's best interest anyway.

i'll have to dig that issue up and take pics of the car.

IF I had that Camaro the first thing I would do is get a paint job on that thing. I hate the Earth tone car colors of the late sixties and early 70's. I have a 66 Mustang and when I got it it had the orginal paint which was tan. First thing I did when I had enough money was go down to Earl Schieb and get Orange peel metallic Blue on that thing. No regrets to this day. Best $450 dollars I ever spent and that was in 1997.

Actually I love the color.

To each his own.

Chris

Actually I love the color.

To each his own.

Chris

+1. I love that gold, 'Harvest Gold', I think it was called? More appealing to me than the usual, predictable 2nd gen colors..

Rob

Dur.

"Uneducated bias"? Okey-dokey. Guess you never heard about familiarity breeding contempt.

Kicked out? More like I moved as far away as I could the second I graduated high school. And don't mock the wildfires...arson is never funny, not when it burns so many homes and hundreds of thousands of acres of forests. You really think it's acceptable to make light of arson?

I'm from Indiana too. Tons of good, intelligent people there.

Tons only because the obesity rate is so high. The good, intelligent ones leave, it's called "brain drain," and I'm betting it's why you're in Idaho right now.

C&G rule number 1: its cool to criticize any state but California.

(eventhough it sucks the most)

Funny, I get the complete opposite impression from members of this forum. The way people here talk about California makes it seem like a prison where Camaros don't exist and the only food available is tempeh... :rotflmao:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0