Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Motor Authority: GMC To Add Luxury-Spec Denali To Acadia Line

20 posts in this topic

Back in July, GMC announced the Yukon Hybrid would get the luxed-out Denali treatment, and now the professional grade Acadia is getting the executive treatment, too, with its own Denali variant.

The confirmation of the upgraded Acadia comes by way of Twitter and Buick-GMC's communications manager Dayna Hart. "Denali version of Acadia approved and coming soon," Hart said simply. Of course, that still leaves a lot up in the air.

Expect the Denali Acadia to get larger wheels, more leather inside, and a wide range of power accessories, including 12-way heated/cooled seats, a sunroof upgrade, DVD entertainment, and more. Creature comforts are the name of the game with the Denali package, after all.

Some might wonder what such accommodations are doing on a GMC - if you want a luxury GM SUV, there's always the Cadillac Escalade. But unlike the Escalade, GMC's Denali versions tend to look - more or less - like work-grade trucks from the outside. That's a feature that can appeal to executives, limo services, or people who like to move around without creating a wake.

The standard Acadia is powered by a 3.6-liter V-6 engine rated at 17 mpg in town and 24 mpg on the highway, and that's not likely to change with the Denali. The starting price of $31,740 is likely to rise, however, to right around the $40,000 mark, as most other Denali models carry a premium of about $8,000.

That will put the Denali into a comfortably position, about $10-15,000 below the new 2010 Cadillac SRX and its Turbo variant. Expect more details, including specifications and pricing, to emerge in the coming months, though beyond Hart's "soon," there's no solid date for the Acadia Denali's arrival.

I know when Lambda was being developed they were planning a V8 Denali and Enclave Ultra. That has clearly changed, but I do hope they increase the power in the Lambdas at some point.

Nice, competition for the Enclave and Yukon Denali. Although maybe GM knows the Yukon's days are numbered, so they are adding content to the Acadia for when the Yukon's eventual demise comes.

Although we know the Chevy is a standard Lambda, which is the luxury/top end Lambda, the Buick or the GMC? If they are going to share a dealership and act as one brand, then Buick should be all cars, and GMC should be all trucks.

I know when Lambda was being developed they were planning a V8 Denali and Enclave Ultra. That has clearly changed, but I do hope they increase the power in the Lambdas at some point.

Maybe they can turbocharge the V6, like Ford already did with the Flex and MKT.

Nice, competition for the Enclave and Yukon Denali. Although maybe GM knows the Yukon's days are numbered, so they are adding content to the Acadia for when the Yukon's eventual demise comes.

As with Chevrolet, I'd expect the Acadia to replace the Yukon. As for the Yukon XL, I'd expect that to drop the XL out of its name.

Basically:

• Chevrolet: Traverse ► Tahoe (Traverse adopts the Tahoe moniker), Suburban to continue on.
  • GMC: Acadia ► Yukon (Yukon adopts Acadia moniker; it could go either way really), Yukon XL ► Yukon.

Something like that, anyway.

Although we know the Chevy is a standard Lambda, which is the luxury/top end Lambda, the Buick or the GMC? If they are going to share a dealership and act as one brand, then Buick should be all cars, and GMC should be all trucks.

Indeed, GM needs to sharpen the definition on the NG Lambdas as to what goes where.

Maybe they can turbocharge the V6, like Ford already did with the Flex and MKT.

That isn't out of the question. The question is, "Will they do it?" I'd bet on no, but then again, you never know.

Edited by whiteknight

Well, now that this is official look for the GMC Terrain to offer a Denali version too. You know it's only a matter of time until it happens :P It appears that most of GMC's line-up (except the Savana and current Canyon) will offer a Denali version to boost profits.

I am hoping that GM/GMC continues the trend that Denali models come with a more potent engine - the Envoy Denali used the 5.3L V8, the Sierra & Yukon Denali's use the 6.2L V8, so it would only make sense that the Acadia Denali would have a more potent engine too (however, I could see the use of a turbo, unless the 5.3L V8 fits under the Acadia's hood). The Terrain Denali could possibly use the 3.6L V6 engine, since it seems GMC isn't going to include it as an option - the other option could be the 2.8L Turbo engine.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

See, I have friends that own both the Acadia and the Enclave. The one with the Enclave had a Buick Rainier beforehand, and since he was so impressed with the Rainier he automatically wanted the Enclave. Being a young 34 year-old professional that he is, he liked how the Enclave presents itself as being a visually more upscale vehicle (he thinks of GMCs as work trucks, not professional/executive level workhorses). His Enclave got another friend (married couple) interested in the Lambdas, but being more blue-collar, they didn't want the bling of the Enclave and were happier with the Acadia (I hate to say it, but I'd bet they'd have purchased the Chevy Traverse if it was out at the time). I work with a guy that owns an Acadia - he too liked it's non-flashy statement over the Enclave. If you think an Acadia Denali will hurt Buick Enclave luxury sales, just wait until Cadillac gets their Escalade Lambda version!! :lol:

As with Chevrolet, I'd expect the Acadia to replace the Yukon. As for the Yukon XL, I'd expect that to drop the XL out of its name.

Basically:

• Chevrolet: Traverse ► Tahoe (Traverse adopts the Tahoe moniker), Suburban to continue on.
  • GMC: Acadia ► Yukon (Yukon adopts Acadia moniker; it could go either way really), Yukon XL ► Yukon.

Something like that, anyway.

+1

I can definitely see the Surburban & Yukon XL living on, and the Lambdas taking the smaller BOF SUV's place. I doubt that Yukon will replace the Acadia moniker, since it has done well for GMC and it would be best for them NOT to change names. Traverse is still new, and Tahoe has quite the reputation to it. Will current Tahoe owners be happy with the change? Probably not. Will Traverse owners repent? Probably not. Will GM actually change its name? Only time will tell...

If you think an Acadia Denali will hurt Buick Enclave luxury sales, just wait until Cadillac gets their Escalade Lambda version!!

IMHO the effect on sales depends more on pricing than on platform/architecture.

I like the Arcadia and I like the Denali package.

But I would never pay that much for an Denali anything. I was in a Denali Sierra the other day and loved the truck but the $47,000 is just too steep of a price for a pick up. The Arcadia is also priced as far as I would even consider paying if you add to the price there are many better options.

So will an eight cylinder be under the hood? If so I am interested... If not its just a dress-up job and prolly a nice one at that.

I don't know... a fully loaded Acadia prices out now for damn near $50k, and to add a Denali premium on top of that? And in the end your still in a V6 mid sized SUV!

One a side note, wifey and I are in the market for an Acadia. But used car prices are bogus right now. Did drive a 2010 Enclave CXL last Friday. Liked everything about it except the seats. Couldn't get the drivers seat in a overly comfortable position. Passenger side was worse. Seats I thought would be plusher but were quit flat. I wouldn't buy a Enclave simply because of the seats! I was plenty comfortable in the Traverse and Acadia seats since they kinda wrap around you sides a bit.

Just heard the other day that the plant was going to shut down in early Feb. Then the production of the denali was to start. Dont know how much sense it makes or how true came from a sales manager at the dealer. I know we usually know more but this guy breaks the mole... He knew about the 2010 acadia rear power shade getting deleted!!!! No one else knew there was even a shade.. Just wanted to pass along this usless info..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0