Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Buick's new compact sedan spotted in China

67 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Buick

buick-hrv-spy.jpg

One of the two new sedans that Buick has promised to introduce in the next 12-18 months is a compact based on the new Opel Astra. We had a chance to see the new car a few weeks ago at the GM design studios in Warren, Michigan, but no photography was allowed.

That same car has now been spotted in the wild in China where it seems likely to be very popular. It won't look anything like the current almost unsellable Astra available from Saturn and will likely only be sold in North America as a four-door sedan. So far, the Astra itself has only been shown as a five-door hatch although that may change when it is publicly displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this month.

At this time, there is no word on what powertrains will go into the North American Buick, but four cylinder engines displacing between 1.6 and 2.0 liters are likely. The 1.4-liter turbo that will go into the Cruze is also a possibility. GM has said that a C-segment car like this could be built at its Lake Orion, MI assembly plant alongside the new Aveo, though it could also be built in Detroit with the Volt or in Lordstown, Ohio with the Cruze.

[source: China Car Times]

Buick's new compact sedan spotted in China originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=FTKuNyQtIxE:wE_Bppt8dUc:wF9xT autoblog?i=FTKuNyQtIxE:wE_Bppt8dUc:V_sGL
FTKuNyQtIxE

View the full article

So it's confirmed that this is the same one that will be sold in the US. Looks OK so far...

So does Buick want to be more Lexus or Toyota? Or maybe somewhere in between?

The Astra is a fine car, but it competes against mainstream hatchbacks like the Golf, not compact luxury ones like the 1-series, A3, or upcoming LF-Ch. If they sell only loaded uplevel models, it might stand a chance, but definitely not with small wheels and cloth interior.

It's the same story with the LaCrosse. In CXS spec, it holds its own against the ES350, but then Buick decides to offer a $26K model with drab cloth, wheel covers, and no fog lights.

I have to say, to me it just looks like a rebadged Opel, but to most American consumers it will be quite an attractive small car that will meet all their needs. I have to say I do really like the Regal which is also a rebadged Opel, so maybe once I see this car in full, I'll have a better opinion.

Just a couple of minor exterior details that sort of bother me about this picture:

1) No ventiports.

2) No chrome surround around the side windows (the Opel Astra 5-door has this and it makes it look more upscale).

Other than these 2 missteps the car looks promising.

I still think the Opel Astra 5-door should come here too. It amazes me that GM considered giving Buick a rebadged Saturn Vue, but won't consider including the great looking Opel Astra 5-door in Buick's U.S. lineup.

This car looks like old GM's hey lets build 5 of the same car plans. There is nothing Buick about it except the grille. As far as portholes, I asked that question to Susan Docherty during her live chat on the GM Fastlane Blog and she said portholes are here to stay.

So does Buick want to be more Lexus or Toyota? Or maybe somewhere in between?

Toyota. LaCrosse is nearly identical in size and price to the Avalon, Regal is identical in size to the Camry and both have 4-bangers. It will be interesting to see Regals pricing, $24-26k perhaps? A Camry XLE is $26k.

This car doesn't look good, hopefully it stays in China and we get something better.

Just a couple of minor exterior details that sort of bother me about this picture:

1) No ventiports.

2) No chrome surround around the side windows (the Opel Astra 5-door has this and it makes it look more upscale).

Other than these 2 missteps the car looks promising.

I still think the Opel Astra 5-door should come here too. It amazes me that GM considered giving Buick a rebadged Saturn Vue, but won't consider including the great looking Opel Astra 5-door in Buick's U.S. lineup.

yes the five door AND the coupe need to be here.

the interior shots of this car are fabulous.

the front quarter window confirms that this is the clone of the astra body and not the cruze.

watch GM f@#k it up and put $h!ty motors in it. the 2.0 turbo as an option would make success for this car in America.

I think China sometimes gets colored badges and we only get monochrome ones.

The monochrome ones are so boring...they should bring back the colored ones for the US.

I would like to see more of this car in US trim.

Also I agree a 2.0 turbo in a 3 door hatch would be of interest.

I have see the prototypes on the web and this car is one for the future as most companies are going to be flocking to smaller cars in the next few years.

What ever GM needs to do it needs to make sure there is a reason to buy this car not only over a Civic or small future Lexus but over the Cruze. Don't leave anything on it that people will connect like a steering wheel and the like. I have no issue with platform engineering just hide the clues.

Edited by hyperv6

So you're getting the Astra after all, and the US and Chinese Buick lineups start to match one another. This should be a very good offering to slot above Chevrolet, but GM has to start offering US Buicks in high-end specification only.

Edited by ZL-1

So you're getting the Astra after all, and the US and Chinese Buick lineups start to match one another. This should be a very good offering to slot above Chevrolet, but GM has to start offering US Buicks in high-end specification only.

They probably need the lower spec models to meet the dealer's demands (to compete w/ Chevy dealers, what with the loss of Pontiac)...and for fleet markets.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

They probably need the lower spec models to meet the dealer's demands (to compete w/ Chevy dealers, what with the loss of Pontiac)...and for fleet markets.

The fleet argument I can understand, but the competing with Chevy dealers scares me as competition from within was one of the main causes of Old GM ending up in bankruptcy.

The fleet argument I can understand, but the competing with Chevy dealers scares me as competition from within was one of the main causes of Old GM ending up in bankruptcy.

<cynicism>

True, but has anything really changed with the 'New GM', as far as the dealers?

</cynicism>

<cynicism>

</cynicism>

What I fear is that perhaps your post should have been

<realism>

</realism>

instead :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by ZL-1

That is just it Buick should not be competing with Chevy or any other GM division.

Also Buick has to be more than a spiffed up Chevy. It has to be different and give reason for someone to spend the extra money or you will just have another Pontiac on your hands.

Better and different engines than Chevy, different steering wheels and suspension tunes etc.

Edited by hyperv6

The monochrome ones are so boring...they should bring back the colored ones for the US.

They should create a new 3D color badge, like the Saturn badges, only with the 3 colored shields for Buick.

IMO, 3D color badge > 3D monochrome badge > 2D color badge. Depth is a wonderful thing.

They should create a new 3D color badge, like the Saturn badges, only with the 3 colored shields for Buick.

IMO, 3D color badge > 3D monochrome badge > 2D color badge. Depth is a wonderful thing.

See, I disagree. I feel a monochrome badge is more stately, more upscale.

Also Buick has to be more than a spiffed up Chevy. It has to be different and give reason for someone to spend the extra money or you will just have another Pontiac on your hands.

Better and different engines than Chevy, different steering wheels and suspension tunes etc.

:yes:

A good way IMHO would be to offer only one trim level, with only 1 or 2 options (nav & sunroof, or something like that) and let people pick between 2 or 3 engines. In any case, standard equipment/content would always have to be much higher than what Chevy offers.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0