Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Kevin Morgan Concept Pontiac Trans Am Unveiled (video)

10 posts in this topic

Pontiac revived through the power of badge engineering. Irony at its best.

Since the guy with the camera didn't bother to take some footage of the back, let's go with the front. Unlike the half assed chops the company did which depicted quad headlights, smaller fog lights and different shaped lower intake, this is a Camaro with some fiberglass down the middle of the grill and lower intake, some paint, a screaming chicken, and a Pontiac badge. Then in true 90's Pontiac fashion, it's got at least one tasteless add-on: a hood bulge on top of the hood bulge.

Does it look nice? Sure (besides that stupid hood bulge), because it's a Camaro, which already looks fantastic, and they didn't do a whole lot to mess with it.

:Edit:

In its defense, one of the`Cuda concepts based off of the Challenger isn't a whole lot better as far as changes go.

081112-02-SEMA_Show_Mr_Norm_Super_Cuda.j

Although the did also do a convertible version.

mrnorms426cudaconv_01.jpg

However, I prefer the BBP `Cuda concept, which was a Dodge Charger that was completely rebodied.

61913_Rear_3-4.jpg

61913_Front_3-4.jpg

I would rather see a Firebird that was completely rebodied.

Though it's mainly a rebadge job with some fiberglass bits, I like that someone went through with making a TA.

The rear doesn't quite work for me though. The early Gen2 style taillights are a little weak.

post-200-1252124914.jpg

Though it's mainly a rebadge job with some fiberglass bits, I like that someone went through with making a TA.

All I have to say "Ugh!".

The original design was pretty cool. The final result is just too compromised, and it looks like a Camaro trying to be a Trans Am. Plus the rear was a bunch of work and still ended up ugly.

Reminds me of the $100K Chevelles made from 2004 GTOs.

It's almost there, but not quite.

Changes I'd make:

• More cohesive taillights.
  • Change the rear quarter panel with a little welding and bodywork. Ditch the faux triple rear brake vents and reshape the rear window to have more of a curve that echos the early second-generation T/A. It wouldn't be too hard to do. Custom sail panel trim for the interior would have to be fabricated, but this can be done with fiberglass.
  • Use the base LS/RS front fascia as a base to ditch the faux air inlet. Everything else is ok.
  • Use a different hood that disposes of the faux cowl-induction style bulge and keep the shaker scoop.

With those changes, I'd happily sell my soul for one.

Edited by whiteknight

Too much Camaro and not enough TA.

Kind of looks like some thing GM would have done for Canada like the Buemont or Arcadia.

As a limited production car it would be fine but this is not the kind of car that would have saved Pontiac. I would rather have a Camaro if I want a Chevy or a 05 GTO if I wanted a modern Pontiac.

Sometimes you just have to let go of the past as once you do it right the first time it is always harder to recreate it better.

Edited by hyperv6

So many better versions of this have been shown (as chops or sketches) that this simply doesn't measure up.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0