Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Pics Aplenty: Floodgates unleashed on Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Frankfurt Motor Show, Coupe, Performance, Mercedes-Benz

mb-sls-amg-1.jpg
2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG - Click above for high-res image gallery

It was only a matter of time. Last night's initial leak of low-res shots and details of the new 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG has been follow with real, honest-to-goodness images in high resolution.

Apart from the new pics, there's not much news to report. The car has 300SL-inspired "Gullwing" doors that look awesome and, more importantly, 563 horsepower and 480 lb-ft of torque funneled to the rear wheels from the front/mid-mounted 6.3-liter AMG V8. Thanks to a lightweight structure molded predominantly from carbon fiber, the SLS AMG will scoot to 60 miles per hour in just 3.7 seconds and on up to a top speed of 197 mph.

Want one? Well, sure you do... so do we. But you'll need to wait at least another year before production begins with sales slated to follow shortly thereafter. We'll be on hand at the Frankfurt Motor Show next week to get live shots of Merc's new beastie, but in the meantime, check out our gallery of high-res images below.

Pics Aplenty: Floodgates unleashed on Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=gRW_yFz7IyU:O-aJvTSYxAg:wF9xT autoblog?i=gRW_yFz7IyU:O-aJvTSYxAg:V_sGL
gRW_yFz7IyU

View the full article

There is no Viper DNA, this thing is made of exotic materials from the bottom of the periodic table. I think this is a really cool car, my only complaint is the hood is rather long and the rear looks a little like a Mazda, but the gullwing doors more than make up for that.

The only problem with the SLS AMG is people will buy it just for special occasions or for auto shows, etc. And for about the same money, you could get one of these:

9986-mercedes-benz-300-sl-coupe-1954-cop

If this thing is in the neighborhood of 300K, it's a severe disappointment, design-wise.

Frankly, it's almost boring looking, and the nose is disproportionately large. Lost a lot of the grace of the original, as minor as that was.

Does it weigh 4400lbs like the other 2-seat mercedes ??

And what's with the 1+ year wait, "it should be out now!!"

If this thing is in the neighborhood of 300K, it's a severe disappointment, design-wise.

Frankly, it's almost boring looking, and the nose is disproportionately large. Lost a lot of the grace of the original, as minor as that was.

Does it weigh 4400lbs like the other 2-seat mercedes ??

And what's with the 1+ year wait, "it should be out now!!"

3500 lbs. Maybe they need to sell off the rest of the McLaren Mercedes SLRs, and retool the factory. But by releasing info now it lets them build demand and get the waiting list going. I think they are only going to build these for 3-4 years, they'll sell out at whatever they charge for it.

>>"But by releasing info now it lets them build demand and get the waiting list going."<<

Funny this never applies to GM cars, ain't it ??

-- -- -- -- --

3500 is still too heavy for a 'lightweight' exotic.

Perhaps mercedes should reverse-engineer a Corvette once in a while.

-- -- -- -- --

OOF- just looked at the pic: rear end could hardly be more bland & generic. Fail.

lakefire- where the hell have you been ??

>>"this thing is made of exotic materials from the bottom of the periodic table."<<

LOL Sorry, but 'plastic' is not on the elemental table !!

>>"this thing is made of exotic materials from the bottom of the periodic table."<<

untrue... as good as it looks it falls in between unobtainium and dontwantium for me...

This thing flies down the Nurburgring, literally!

mb_sls.gif

:rotflmao:

lakefire- where the hell have you been ??

Man, didn't know anyone remembered me from this forum. It's been a while and I've been going to Autoblog for my car news :-\. Also started up a couple of projects: http://www.bingle.nu and http://www.wakomo.com and moved from SC to WA.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0