NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: GM to offer 60 day money back guarantee on all new vehicle purchases

22 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Marketing/Advertising, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GM, GMC

gm-ed-whitacre-getty-630-presser.jpg

General Motors wants to prove to you that their vehicles are up to snuff, and The New York Times is reporting that a new marketing initiative aims to get more customers behind the wheel of GM cars and trucks. The General's rumored Satisfaction Guaranteed program promises to give customers their money back within 60 days if they're not completely satisfied with their purchase. The new sales tool, which will reportedly begin Monday and run through November, may mark the first time a major automaker has backed their product with a money back guarantee. The new initiative will cover new Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC models.

New GM Chairman Edward Whitacre stars in the new commercials designed to promote the porgram, reportedly uttering confident proclamations like "We're putting our money where our mouth is" and "May the best car win." That sounds a lot like the old Chrysler spots featuring then chairman Lee Iacocca to us - GM can only hope that its new chairman can capture the attention of the car-buying public as well as ol' Lido did.

The idea for the new initiative was allegedly hatched by GM's new board as a way to stir up customers post-bankruptcy. Details of the impending program are sketchy at this point as the General has yet to publish a press release, but if the marketing initiative starts Monday, we'll know soon enough.

[source: The New York Times | Image: Bill Pugliano/Getty]

GM to offer 60 day money back guarantee on all new vehicle purchases originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=4cwAZ73DBjw:t4en7lt2Y80:wF9xT autoblog?i=4cwAZ73DBjw:t4en7lt2Y80:V_sGL
4cwAZ73DBjw

View the full article

didnt saturn havesomething like this?

I dont remember it being popular or anything.

5/60 btb and 7/100 pwrtn wty would go farther than that to get people in

Hyundai has 5/60,000 btb, and 10/100,000 powertrain, they should match that.

This ad seems similar to Chrysler's "if you can find a better car, buy it" ads of the 1980s. GM spends too much time advertising GM, they should be advertising Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, since that is what they sell. Con Agra doesn't run ads promoting Con Agra, they run ads promoting Chef Boyardee, Orville Redinbacher, Slim Jim, Healthy Choice, etc. GM needs to promote the product, not the corporation.

saturn did have something like this a while ago and Oldsmobile did as well in the early-mid 90s. My family returned a brand new 1994 Olds 98 regency after having it for 10 days because my Mom decided she didn't like the color. She got a different 98 color and upgraded the trim level and was very satisfied. Car had a premature demise but saved my mom's life 5 years later.

didnt saturn havesomething like this?

I dont remember it being popular or anything.

Saturn did indeed do this. They always added no questions asked. Was it popular? Didn't they sell over 400,000 cars a year.

Hyundai has 5/60,000 btb, and 10/100,000 powertrain, they should match that.

This ad seems similar to Chrysler's "if you can find a better car, buy it" ads of the 1980s. GM spends too much time advertising GM, they should be advertising Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, since that is what they sell. Con Agra doesn't run ads promoting Con Agra, they run ads promoting Chef Boyardee, Orville Redinbacher, Slim Jim, Healthy Choice, etc. GM needs to promote the product, not the corporation.

This is a take off of the If you can find a better car buy it spot. Lutz's professed his love for that spot and was wanting to do something similar. THis is it.

Saturn did indeed do this. They always added no questions asked. Was it popular? Didn't they sell over 400,000 cars a year.

Yup, this was one aspect of the Saturn dealership experience that helped set Saturn apart. Difference is, Saturn did it for YEARS, not a month & a half. Not sure if they still do it or not.

. Not sure if they still do it or not.

They stopped doing it a year or two ago, IRC. In some respects I didn't like it. Loyal happy owners ended up paying for malcontents who were looking for a free ride. In the first year or so the resale value of used Saturns was so high that he cost was negligible.

Good for them. I hope it's effective.

Lords.....this is potentially AWFUL for dealers......60-days is a LONG time for a consumer to consider "buyer's remorse." It's one reason why states like CA and NV implemented "No Cooling Off" laws....

....."for any reason" I see as a real problem. Yeah, it sounds good from an advertising/marketing standpoint.....but you gotta put something into the rules that keeps people from just returning the car because of simple "buyer's remorse."

What happens if they buy a GM car.....then 3 weeks later find a better deal at a Ford, or Import store? What's to keep them from just returning the GM product and grabbing the better deal?

I guess I'm premature....we need to see the rules and guidelines first......but this just scares me.

What happens if they buy a GM car.....then 3 weeks later find a better deal at a Ford, or Import store? What's to keep them from just returning the GM product and grabbing the better deal?

I guess I'm premature....we need to see the rules and guidelines first......but this just scares me.

The rules require that the owner keep the car for 30 days and return it before 60 from date of sale. Another safe guard is that the owner has to be current on their payments. I do understand your concerns, however.

The rules require that the owner keep the car for 30 days and return it before 60 from date of sale. Another safe guard is that the owner has to be current on their payments. I do understand your concerns, however.

yeah.....so keep it 30 days, put miles on it, and one day 31 go hunting for an even better deal. Tell that Ford dealer you just bought this GM car under their money-back guarantee plan.....and you'll return it IF the Ford dealer strikes you a really killer deal.....

You might not even have had to make one payment....most initial payments are set out around day 45....

GM takes your car back....runs it through the auction.....and loses a ton of money to some dealer that buys it at a great "brass-hat" price....and sells it as a used, Certified pre-owned car.

It would be better for the dealer is he doesn't have to return the car to stock.....perhaps that's the icing on the cake for the dealer.....he gets to keep the new-car unit on his books.....and can repurchase the car and sell it as used at a bargain price...??

Sure, there will probably be some people that take advantage of the system, but the idea is to get butts in the seats. Someone who remembers hating their Pontiac 6000 might be pleasantly surprised that a new Malibu has a difference or two... million. When they find that they can get a darned nice american car for a reasonable price, and it doesn't look like a bloated pig (camry), quite a few might just decide to keep the car. And if that means a good number of sales to people who would've otherwise bought an import, but a few people that take advantage, the hope is it all comes out ahead in sales, and way ahead in image.

From an accounting perspective, it means that new sales cannot actually be recorded as sales for 60 days.

This may make for a potentially dismal Financial report for the end of the year.

yeah.....so keep it 30 days, put miles on it, and one day 31 go hunting for an even better deal. Tell that Ford dealer you just bought this GM car under their money-back guarantee plan.....and you'll return it IF the Ford dealer strikes you a really killer deal.....

You might not even have had to make one payment....most initial payments are set out around day 45....

GM takes your car back....runs it through the auction.....and loses a ton of money to some dealer that buys it at a great "brass-hat" price....and sells it as a used, Certified pre-owned car.

It would be better for the dealer is he doesn't have to return the car to stock.....perhaps that's the icing on the cake for the dealer.....he gets to keep the new-car unit on his books.....and can repurchase the car and sell it as used at a bargain price...??

That's assuming that people buy cars solely on price or how cheap they got it, which isn't the case. GM has had deeply discounted cars for years, yet Toyota outsells them, and the Civic/Accord outsell the Cobalt/Malibu buy a lot, despite the Hondas costing a few thousand more.

If people like the GM car, I doubt they are going to trade it in just to save $500 or so on something else, chances are they will have driven the Ford or imports during the initial shopping. I think this program will very rarely get used, and it is just a PR piece for GM to claim how much they believe in their cars.

Just saw the commercial. Great job on the advertising IMO, especially beacause it features lots of the new vehicles.

Just saw the commercial. Great job on the advertising IMO, especially beacause it features lots of the new vehicles.

In speaking about new vehicles, did anybody notice near the end of the walk-thru,

the model of what looks like a NEW IMPALA on the stand?

They just briefly show the front end as he walks by, but it sure looks good!

In speaking about new vehicles, did anybody notice near the end of the walk-thru,

malibu.jpg

When pictures speak better than words ...

looks buick lacrosse'ish

gmad.bmp

yeah buickish

but just before that they show a new caddy

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor