Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: More next-gen Toyota 4Runner shots hit the interwebs

29 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, SUV, Toyota

2010-toyota-4runner.jpg
2010 Toyota 4Runner - Click above for high-res image gallery

Those anxiously awaiting the scheduled September 24 reveal of the 2010 Toyota 4Runner are going to want to take a good look at the gallery below, which contains a few more high-resolution images of the Japanese automaker's body-on-frame SUV.

As we noted the last time we saw spy shots, the next 4Runner will push forward with a boxy, square-jawed look that reinforces this SUV as the rugged, off-road capable midsizer in Toyota's lineup, leaving the unibody Highlander and Venza to take on the rest of the burgeoning CUV crowd.

When the 2010 4Runner hits the market, it will be equipped with the buyers choice of either a 161-horsepower four-cylinder or a 268-horsepower six. The current V8 engine option will no longer be available, but Toyota promises its 'ute will be more luxurious and capable than ever before. We'll find out exactly what that means in exactly two weeks. Stay tuned!

[source: Toyota-4Runner.org via The Car Lounge]

More next-gen Toyota 4Runner shots hit the interwebs originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=cBCI2_gDfyU:u0qzv4KZwC4:wF9xT autoblog?i=cBCI2_gDfyU:u0qzv4KZwC4:V_sGL
cBCI2_gDfyU

View the full article

I feel like I've seen this car around for years now. I am completely underwhelmed.

I feel like I've seen this car around for years now. I am completely underwhelmed.

That's because 3/4 of the styling cues are robbed from the FJ.

I wonder if it still has the power rear window. At least the 4Runner is still a real SUV, not a faux-UV (FWD CUV). I'd still take the '11 GC over this...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Toyota: we polish turds.

It has the interior of a first-gen S-10 Blazer and looks like a big f@#king box. It's a boring, sterile, and safe redesign. Enthusiasts will fail to care.

I couldn't imagine driving something this large (and un-aerodynamic) with only the inline-4 of a Camry under the hood.

Edited by DetroitNut90

The general design of this vehicle is almost as old as I am. It really does look like I've been looking at it forever.

Totally not attractive, with comical dime store dash switches.

I wonder if someone could fire up Gran Turismo and give us a preview? :scratchchin:

so is this the curse of being #1 or somethin? whoever is in the top spot suddenly loses all interest in doing something somewhat different... soon even the toyo fanboys are going to start whining about this hehehe.

How can Toyota get by with no efforts, generic, simpleton designs?

It's ugly, but not as bad as the GMC Terrain. The pull out shelf in the back is nice, but not much else on this vehicle is.

uh... i dont like toyotas. being 100% honest here. there is only one, the toyota truck, no newer than 90 that is reputable to me.

case in point the new 4 runner is not greater than

6e166037.jpg

1979_Toyota_Landcruiser_FJ40_Front_1.jpg

is greater than

2009-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-08812131990003.

and of course this thing with no functional back seat at all.

fj_cruiser_2.jpg

Barftastic! :puke:

Those squarish bulges above the wheel wells remind me of another not-so-good-looking SUV, the Terrain.

Edited by ZL-1

Looks like they took the old one, which I actually liked, and made it more blocky. Then they added the new Toyota "design" trend of headlights and tail lights that bulge out like tumors.

I wonder if it still has the power rear window. At least the 4Runner is still a real SUV, not a faux-UV (FWD CUV). I'd still take the '11 GC over this...

I have to agree...at least Toyota is making an effort to update their BOF SUV's. I still think that my next vehicle is going to be an '11 GC, but this thing is more effort than GM has put into the Envoy or Trailblazer.

It looks to me like they took the current one (which I actually find decent) and just made it boxier. I do like the wheels though.

Totally not attractive, with comical dime store dash switches.

Oh, but they use that "panel" of square switches on EVERYTHING (even Lexus) and even in the same place...it's that "exuding quality" :lol:

I'm an equal opportunity lover/hater, but I can't stand Toyota so much anymore with things like this, it's horrible. Well, at least it should be "reliable"...if you're going to be bored to death with your expensive, everyone has one new ______, it may as well not have problems either. That part, at least, they still do decently on, somehow, which is about the only thing since driving dynamics are a term the entire Toyota corporation will never get...4 soft as could be shocks & struts and syrupy steering, teamed with ESP confused by a gravel driveway--check, "We've nailed it!" Talk about robotic, zero passion or even effort. Grrrr.

Edited by caddycruiser

IL has some new photos up, and in more real world photos it looks a lot better. It actually looks like a 4Runner. It's one of the few vehicles Toyota has that has that's had a consistent look over the years. I still hate teh bulging lights but the rest of it isn't bad.

2010_4runner_actf34_toyota_ft_500_1.jpg

2010_4runner_r34_toyota_ft_500_1.jpg

2010_4runner_r34_toyota_ft_500_2.jpg

2010_4runner_actprf_toyota_ft_500_1.jpg

In the shots Dodgefan posted, it doesn't look so bad.

The first press photo made me feel ill though.

Agreed, I was looking at the gallery at Autoblog of the off-road model where it was rock climbing, and it looks honest and purposeful. I guess GM is not the only car company with photography problems. I actually have changed my opinion of the new 4Runner.

This is one of the few last non-crossover midsize SUVs designed for dirt trails (2.7 4x2) and off-roading (4.0 4x4). There's the Grand Cherokee, but the new one is quite posh and prohibitively expensive. Xterra, maybe?

I've long liked the 4Runner for it's capabilities, if not it's styling. I've gone off roading w/ a couple friends that have 1999-2001 vintage ones, they are very good in the mud and on the Colorado trails...

The 4Runner was the only non-Jeep SUV I seriously considered when I bought my Grand Cherokee, but I was put off by the narrowness of the '00 style ones. I was familiar w/ the Explorer of that era (were 2 in my family then) and thought they were too truckish, and the Blazer/Jimmy were too truckish and cheap and nasty inside.

This is more appealing to me than the outgoing style, which was skewed toward town & city instead of mud and rocks. Just look at them side by side and see the lack of gingerbread on this new one. It is refreshing to see a return to honesty and functionality.

I wish GM would build an old-skool Blazer/Jimmy on the GMT355, emphasizing simplicity, toughness and affordability.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room