Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Chevy Volt will start at $32,000 after tax credit?

18 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrid, Sedan, Chevrolet, Rumormill, Alternative Fuel

volt-pricing-survey.jpg

While we know a good bit of information about GM's upcoming range-extended electric automobile, one major question lurks high above the rest: how much with the Chevy Volt cost? Well, that's a tough nut to crack. There will be a sticker price plastered on the car's window when it finally goes on sale in November of 2010 that may very well be at or near the $40,000 mark - pretty pricey for a car wearing the golden Bowtie - but that's not the end of the story. In a bit to sweeten the pot a bit, the U.S. government has promised to offer a $7,500 rebate in the form of a federal tax credit.

Though there's been no official price point announced by The General for its upcoming electric as of yet, there are clues. For instance, what appears to be a GM-approved survey recently sent out by a company called Gongos suggests that the Volt "will effectively cost between $32,000 and $38,000" after the tax rebate. It's not an official pricing acknowledgement or anything like that, but it's an interesting tidbit nonetheless, and we think it's a reasonable asking price - especially after the expected runnings costs of about 2 cents per mile are factored in. What say you?

Gallery: 2011 Chevy Volt

000chevyvolt2011_thumbnail.jpg001chevyvolt2011_thumbnail.jpg002chevyvolt2011_thumbnail.jpg003chevyvolt2011_thumbnail.jpg004chevyvolt2011_thumbnail.jpg

[source: GM-Volt.com]

REPORT: Chevy Volt will start at $32,000 after tax credit? originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=thilZPRjdZk:9TFnE7ss95o:wF9xT autoblog?i=thilZPRjdZk:9TFnE7ss95o:V_sGL
thilZPRjdZk

View the full article

Still to much. I paid less than that for my pickup and it does more. Same way with the Camaro. I just can't see spending 30 grand for a car when you can get a truck that does twice as much.

2 cents per mile in electric-only mode is very good; how did they get that figure? Is it just an average of nationwide electricity costs?

For comparison, a car getting 50 mpg (Prius and Insight) costs about 6 cents per mile at $3/gallon, and that cost doesn't go up after the first 40 miles.

My car costs about 15 cents per mile to operate (20mpg).

Still to much. I paid less than that for my pickup and it does more. Same way with the Camaro. I just can't see spending 30 grand for a car when you can get a truck that does twice as much.

Add the fact that the Gov is only offering a "TAX CREDIT" if you don't owe $7500 then you don't get the full ammount

They say 32-38 after the credit, so it is really $39-45,000. And if you don't owe $7500 in taxes, you might only get a $4k credit. It just seems that the actual price people pay will be around $40,000, which is a lot. Even driving 15,000 miles per year it will probably take 15 years to recoup the cost over a Prius. It will be hard to get people to buy the Volt. It carries a CTS price tag, but Cobalt level performance and amenities.

They say 32-38 after the credit, so it is really $39-45,000. And if you don't owe $7500 in taxes, you might only get a $4k credit. It just seems that the actual price people pay will be around $40,000, which is a lot. Even driving 15,000 miles per year it will probably take 15 years to recoup the cost over a Prius. It will be hard to get people to buy the Volt. It carries a CTS price tag, but Cobalt level performance and amenities.

I don't think there will be too many people generating under $7,500/year in taxes that would seriously consider the Volt. But there certainly will be some. And I'm not sure, but the taxes paid on the Volt itself may be a part of that at year's end. If that is true, then most people shouldn't have a problem with the $7,500 credit.

You're right on the recoup time. Even if the hypothetical ideal Volt driver uses no gas at all, and only drives sub-40 mile trips, it would still take 10-15 years to recoup the costs over a Prius. And that's assuming the Volt is available for $38k and the buyer is able to get a full tax credit. But then we've all beaten that horse to death and I think we can agree the Volt isn't economical under any circumstances, at this price range.

Thank you for driving a car that's not on dealer lots yet and giving us a review........

Do larger, more powerful electric motors use more electricity than small, weak ones? Assuming the performance demands are similar, say 75kW, won't energy consumption be the same regardless of its potential maximum power availability?

With a more powerful electric motor, maybe it can perform comparably to other $40K cars... and when driven in a sane manner, still manage a 40 mi range.

This will play out not much different than he second gen Prius. Many will pay more for a car than it is worth due to it's nature and statment. The second Prius was never a car that would pay for itself at the early prices and high prices some paid for it.

GM is not looking for great volume or home run sales here. The whole goal of this car was to be a proof of concept and to develope the systems for improved life and lower cost in future generations.

The first gen Volt is only the path to the goal not the goal.

All the trendy people will come for the same reasons they bought the Prius. Common sense and nothing to do with it. The Eco freaks are no different than the people who had to pay over sticker on the Camaro. Everyone wants to be seen and be the first.

Geen freeks have Ego's too. Just look at Al Gore.

What isn't being considered here is that the cost paid up front is only going to be a small portion of the actual cost of the vehicle. Talking about 0.02/mile vs 0.06/mile is kind of silly when you take the actual costs into account.

The Volt will depreciate heavily not only because it is a GM, and a small GM car, but also because it is "cutting edge", and cutting edge depreciates quickly as it becomes old.

What is mentioned in that survey is that the warranty on the battery is 8yr/100K vs the 10yr/150K that GM has been talked about up to this point. That doesn't speak well to the original battery longevity that was promised.

If, at the end of 8 years, the battery warranty is gone, then any potential buyer is looking at $4-6K battery replacement time bomb (assuming prices drop that much) on what pretty much amounts to an 8 year old Cavalier, a vehicle which would be worth under $5K. In other words, the Volt may be pretty much fully depreciated in 8 years. Whereas a Cruze might have $10K depreciation in that time, the Volt will likely be $30K+. Plus the Volt will likely involve an extra $3-5K in financing charges (I don't expect any deals on financing).

You'd have to drive near 900,000 miles at a cost savings of 0.04/mile to make up that price premium.

Speaking of which.... I wonder how much insurance is going to be....

Edited by GXT

Do we know that the Volt will be similar to the Cobalt or Cruze in terms of quality and amenities? I have a hard time believing GM is going to let this car hit the market with an interior and features anywhere near a Cobalt.

Do we know that the Volt will be similar to the Cobalt or Cruze in terms of quality and amenities? I have a hard time believing GM is going to let this car hit the market with an interior and features anywhere near a Cobalt.

This was claimed to be the production interior about a year ago..

chev-volt-int-revision-02.jpg

The one thing that all of us need to keep in mind in predicting the Volts market and future is this is not a normal car being sold in a normal market segment to buyers that would shop the Cruze.

The buyers here as the ones who buy for statment, image and usally would not by a Chevy. The Prius was much the same. Their buyers were not typicalToyota customers and they paind a higher non typical Toyota price.

Most Prius buyers did nopt expect or ever did recoupe their investment in their cars. Most of their buyers came from much more expensive cars and just wanted to show how green they are. Just look around at all the green marketing. They have brainwash a large segment of the market into this and they are now harvesting the money from them. Most live near large cities and are very affluent and liberal minded. East Coast and West Coast are the prime targets.

This ain't no car for Nebraska.

The cost of the fuel isn't my concern. The reduction of carbon emissions is my reasoning for wanting a car with this kind of power train.

They are $10,000-$15,000 (i.e. a whole Cruze) over their original price... remember what they did to the solstice to try to cut costs to hit the Lutz-price?

I have heard that even having a Navi actually hurts resale because it looks like a 8-track when you go to sell, so I don't think those LCDs or tacky dash (who says it is the just the Japanese that take other's designs?) are going to help resale value.

The cost of the fuel isn't my concern. The reduction of carbon emissions is my reasoning for wanting a car with this kind of power train.

People say that, but how many of them were willing to put down even 1/2 to 2/3 of the Volt's price to get a Prius? Or if they hate the Japanese more than they like the environment, a hybrid fusion?

People only care so much, and this price is going to test that. If you don't believe me, just ask Lutz. :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0