Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Frankfurt 2009: BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept is mean German green

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Frankfurt Motor Show, Coupe, Hybrid, Performance, BMW

05-bmw-vision-efficientdynamics-live-620
BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

BMW hosted a lengthy press conference during which cars zoomed all around its raised track, and at the end the Vision EfficientDynamics Concept silently took the stage. It's a glass-topped Hot Wheels with two engines, a deep dish seventies-looking steering wheel and matching contoured wheels. Around the back corners the design elements get a little busy, but taken as a whole the EfficientDynamics Concept comes together well. Give it a more demure paint job and its built-in details will stand out beautifully. If this is the real future of eco, then sign us up schnell. Full details in the press release after the break.

Continue reading Frankfurt 2009: BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept is mean German green

Frankfurt 2009: BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept is mean German green originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:24:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=y2GjcrkwTV8:FMNcQ2NuRPQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=y2GjcrkwTV8:FMNcQ2NuRPQ:V_sGL
y2GjcrkwTV8

View the full article

If this and the M1 concept are good indications, I don't like where BMW design is headed.

Don't know if this is hinting at anything design-wise. I think the important things to look for in this concept are the engineering/powertrain/systems goodies, not the looks or design elements.

They also revealed the 320d Efficient Dynamics at Frankfurt, and while not as flashy as this concept, IMO it's even more noteworthy. 109 g/km CO2! It's fuel economy is way, way better than that of a Jetta TDI 2.0, and it's EUDC combined fuel consumption of 68.9 imperial mpg is only 1.7 mpg less than the far slower Prius. 0-62 mph in 8.2 seconds and top speed of 140 mph.

They took a normal 320d and made a number of changes - taller gearing, LRR tires, regenerative braking, special alternator, stop/start feature, EPS, aero tweaks, active air flap control, etc. It uses a special flywheel so that even very low RPMs don't transmit engine vibrations.

BMW-320d-EfficientDynamics-0.jpg

If BMW sold this in the US alongside the 335d, they might be getting more diesel love...

They also revealed the 320d Efficient Dynamics at Frankfurt, and while not as flashy as this concept, IMO it's even more noteworthy. 109 g/km CO2! It's fuel economy is way, way better than that of a Jetta TDI 2.0, and it's EUDC combined fuel consumption of 68.9 imperial mpg is only 1.7 mpg less than the far slower Prius. 0-62 mph in 8.2 seconds and top speed of 140 mph.

They took a normal 320d and made a number of changes - taller gearing, LRR tires, regenerative braking, special alternator, stop/start feature, EPS, aero tweaks, active air flap control, etc. It uses a special flywheel so that even very low RPMs don't transmit engine vibrations.

BMW-320d-EfficientDynamics-0.jpg

If BMW sold this in the US alongside the 335d, they might be getting more diesel love...

BMW 320D XFE?

How many horses does it have? Considering BMW, this vehicle probably won't be any cheaper than the 328i, but at least it will be attainable compared to the 335D which lists at $44K

BMW 320D XFE?

How many horses does it have? Considering BMW, this vehicle probably won't be any cheaper than the 328i, but at least it will be attainable compared to the 335D which lists at $44K

163PS, IIRC

163PS, IIRC

That is a healthy power from a 2L oil burner.

That is a healthy power from a 2L oil burner.

They currently sell it in 115PS (116d), 143PS (118d) and 177PS (120d) versions. The 204PS diesel used un the 123d is also a 2L, but IIRC it is a twin turbo one.

I had the pleasure to drive a BMW 120d for 3 days a few months ago. It had 16in wheels and thus it wasn't as precise as I would have expected, but man... does that thing move! A 60 mile trip on the motorway always around 125mph felt completely effortless.

They currently sell it in 115PS (116d), 143PS (118d) and 177PS (120d) versions. The 204PS diesel used un the 123d is also a 2L, but IIRC it is a twin turbo one.

I had the pleasure to drive a BMW 120d for 3 days a few months ago. It had 16in wheels and thus it wasn't as precise as I would have expected, but man... does that thing move! A 60 mile trip on the motorway always around 125mph felt completely effortless.

Yes the 123D is a TT.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0