NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick adopts new advertising tag line

21 posts in this topic

Buick adopts new advertising tag line

Monday launch coming for 'The new class of world class'

JAMIE LAREAU

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

SEPTEMBER 15, 2009 - 3:16 PM ET

DETROIT -- Buick will launch a new advertising tag line Monday: “The new class of world class.”

Bob Lutz, General Motor Co.’s vice chairman for marketing, revealed the new line to Automotive News at a media event here today. The tag line will be used in new advertising for the Buick LaCrosse sedan.

The current tag line, “Take a look at me now,” was first used in June.

After he took over GM’s advertising and marketing in July, Lutz set out to rework Buick advertising. He said he wanted commercials that properly project the design and features of the brand’s new products.

Buick’s lead ad agency, Leo Burnett, did the new spots for the LaCrosse. A batch of Buick commercials that Lutz rejected had been outsourced to the firm of Gary Topolewski, a former Burnett creative director.

Lutz calls the new Buick advertising “aggressive stuff.”

Meanwhile, GM has launched a billboard campaign in Los Angeles for the LaCrosse that pokes fun at Lexus.

The series of billboards, with a photo of the LaCrosse, say: “Another thing for Lexus to relentlessly pursue,” “EX your Lexus” and “Goodbye, road rage. Hello, road envy.”

I like the billboard slogans.

Just tell me how long I get to enjoy this Buick slogan before the next one comes along. A week? 2?

Ouch. That's a pretty clunky, repetitive slogan. I like the idea, but the word "class" appears one too many times.

That's the line I've seen on the new billboard w/ the red LaCrosse.

I heard they shortened it from "The new class of world class at the head of the class flying first class in a class of its own"

I don't care for it, but they'll probably have a new one in a few weeks anyway.

"Take a look at me now", "Dream up", and even "It's all good" were better than this.

Lexus built a better Buick.

However, given the excellent work they've done with the LaCrosse and the Enclave, I'd think Buick could easily advertise: 'We've built a better Lexus.'

Edited by Captainbooyah

I like it a lot...

It packs a punch when you say it.

Too bad Lutz wasn't given control over marketing a long time ago... We might not be in this situation if he were.

I'm really worried that Buick is going to eat Cadillacs lunch soon unless GM puts some work into it.

I saw the "Another thing for Lexus to relentlessly pursue" billboard this morning here in Houston while I was schlepping off to work. I like it. I hope it works for them.

I still think it's going to be VERY hard to get your average Lexus buyer to go visit a Buick showroom, but hey, who knows?

Edited by gmcbob

2001 - It's All Good

2002 - The Spirit of American Style

2005 - Dream Up

2006 - Beyond Precision

2007 - Drive Beautiful

2009 - Take A Look At Me Now

2009 - The new class of world class

No wonder why consumers are confused as to what Buick is or isn't...

Another bad Buick tagline, and every year it is something different. Beyond Precision was okay, the rest have been pretty bad. No brand focus is a big problem at GM, and every few years they are chasing a different target. Buick used to compete with Mercury and Chrysler, now then they wanted Buick to try to get former Oldsmobile customers, now Buick wants to be like Lexus, and in 5 years Buick will be something different again.

Buick is so far from world class, GM really doesn't get it if they think Buicks are world class cars. Do they sell Buick anywhere but North America and China? Buick is as world class as Citroen or Saturn, a run of the mill product in regional markets.

I would like a slogan and billboard.

Live Well and Be the Envy of 2.5 Million Chinese

Buick

Then have a Lacrosse with a Mao look alike standing there looking at the car with a tear in his eye. LOL! Just kidding.

Buicks new approach will be more in the TV spot than the slogan. Slogans are a dime a dozen but a good spot is lasting. The image the TV spot projects is what is lasting.

Before we condem anything lets see the TV spot and how it comes out. Hey it has to be better than that last one. That was one of the worst TV spots I have ever seen.

Another bad Buick tagline, and every year it is something different.

Just consider them as different movements in an evolving advertising campaign. Bob Lutz has said for a long time that Buick is going after Lexus.

Buick is so far from world class, GM really doesn't get it if they think Buicks are world class cars.

Add the two new Opels (Insignia, Astra) to the Enclave and LaCrosse and Buick does have a world-class lineup. A Riviera would be icing on the cake!

Just consider them as different movements in an evolving advertising campaign. Bob Lutz has said for a long time that Buick is going after Lexus.

Add the two new Opels (Insignia, Astra) to the Enclave and LaCrosse and Buick does have a world-class lineup. A Riviera would be icing on the cake!

In the new TV spot on the 60 day deal is that a Riv in the hall on the cart?

To me, it looks like a re-imagined 2000 LaCrosse Concept. It has the same grille, which was based on the famous Buick "Y-Job" grille.

The Riviera is the car in the drawing on the wall above the baby Enclave, near the black Volt.

Someone needs to tell Bob Lutz (and the rest of GM) that "world class" doesn't mean that you offer the future flagship sedan of your premium vehicle division in a Chevy spec CX trim level without alloy wheels, foglights, and automatic dual zone climate control (and anything else that I might have missed) and a leftover lame model name without any real marketing power or prestige. The 2010 LaCrosse should have adopted the "Invicta" name from the preceding concept version of the car and only be available in the CXS trim level with a few standalone options that would properly represent the new invigorated image of the Buick brand. The company needs to stop worrying about changing meaningless taglines every year or every other year (in my opinion "Beyond Precision" would work much better now than it did before when the brand had hopelessly outdated products earlier this decade that failed to live up to anyone's idea of "precision") and start focusing on what will establish the brand as the premiere premium brand of choice in the market. I know proper marketing and advertising is important in distributing brand image and information about products, but competitive products that are properly positioned and equipped for their respective segments is just as (if not more) important in the transformation of a brand.

I also don't understand offering the 2010 LaCrosse with the 3.0L V6 (like many of you have already mentioned) or without the great looking exhaust treatment of the CXS version. From what I understand, the 3.0L V6 delivers less power without any gain in fuel efficiency (which is ludicrous); what's the point of even offering that engine choice? The CXS exhaust treatment makes this car look more upscale and distinctive; why not apply that look to every version of this car and avoid deleting the perception of this great new product?

"The New Class Of World Class" tagline will only be taken seriously once GM truly ensures that all Buicks are equipped and positioned to reinforce the tagline. In my opinion, GM has missed the mark with the 2010 LaCrosse. The overall execution is spot on (I absolutely love this car in CXS trim and I fully believe that the CXS trimmed version fully reinforces the new tagline), but the lame model name and lower trim levels significantly undermine the positioning of the car as well as the power and impact of the new tagline. Basically, the product has to live up to the tagline. To me, offering price leader base versions doesn't represent "world class"; I don't want to see this new tagline turning into a punchline instead. Buick deserves better than that.

Edited by cire

But Buick's prices are far from Lexus, so is the breadth and depth of their model lineup and their sales volume. The Lacrosse is priced against the Taurus and Avalon, not the ES350. And what does Buick have that lines up with the IS, GS, or LS. The Enclave is bigger than any Lexus SUV, and less expensive than all of them as well, so there is no match up there. Bob Lutz can say whatever he wants, but in reality, Buick is not challenging Lexus.

Opels/Vauxhalls are rather mediocre cars in Europe, and mostly lag behind the VW's and Fords over there. We saw how the Catera and Astra bombed here and weren't very good products.

Personally I don't see a good future for Buick, the brand image is dead. I'd rather see GM focus their efforts on Cadillac and Chevy.

Cire's points are all good ones. The 3.0 is useless, I could understand a turbo 4, but the LaCrosse is a big, heavy car. The 3.6 liter is a good and logical engine choice. But there should be a hybrid and probably a clean diesel option.

Buicks are also too large. They need LaCrosse CXS interior/features/amenities in a Cobalt sized car. GM never understood how to make a nice small car, and always associated luxury with size, that is a mistake.

Cire's points are all good ones. The 3.0 is useless, I could understand a turbo 4, but the LaCrosse is a big, heavy car. The 3.6 liter is a good and logical engine choice. But there should be a hybrid and probably a clean diesel option.

Buicks are also too large. They need LaCrosse CXS interior/features/amenities in a Cobalt sized car. GM never understood how to make a nice small car, and always associated luxury with size, that is a mistake.

I think the Insignia and Astra (and I still think the 5-door should make it here as well as the sedan) would make nice smaller Buicks if GM doesn't dilute them and strip them down to be price leaders in the market. Buick will never take flight as a premiere near luxury premium brand in the market if GM insists on it being a price leader afterthought to the premium segment frontrunners as well as a fancier alternative to Chevrolet. In the U.S. market, mainstream products can now be optioned up to near premium status. Buick products need to start out where these well optioned mainstream products leave off. GM seems to be unable to wrap their heads around this concept.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0