Drew Dowdell

What I see as pluses and minuses ---

Pluses:

- beautiful car

- great condition

- respectable price

- you like it

Minuses:

- don't like dark colors and a landau/padded top which will invite rust at its edges

- is there a "canned program" to swap a 5.7L diesel to a 5.7L gasoline that you can avail yourself of? (I'm sure others have had to perform this "operation," with as many 78, 79 and 89 Olds and Cads I see on the road badged as diesels that don't make the diesel gargling/clattering sound)

You'll have to do your "weighted average," assigning your own weights to variables. Good luck!

Edited by trinacriabob

Oldsmoboi:

I would if it were not diesel. You would have to fix the diesel to get it right. I know people who fixed diesels and they were fine after they changed the parts.

I know you want a Toronado, but do not be anxious. I made that mistake with the red and yellow ones I had. I waited for the black one ands I am very content. I sent the links for some on sale a few weeks ago.

Here are some You Tube Videos for you to think about:

1981 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight diesel:

1982 Oldsmobile Toronado diesel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0D9aTYzv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3loxfU0kQ0...feature=related

1985 Oldsmobile Toronado without the diesel:

What I see as pluses and minuses ---

Pluses:

- beautiful car

- great condition

- respectable price

- you like it

Minuses:

- don't like dark colors and a landau/padded top which will invite rust at its edges

- is there a "canned program" to swap a 5.7L diesel to a 5.7L gasoline that you can avail yourself of? (I'm sure others have had to perform this "operation," with as many 78, 79 and 89 Olds and Cads I see on the road badged as diesels that don't make the diesel gargling/clattering sound)

You'll have to do your "weighted average," assigning your own weights to variables. Good luck!

Well... part of the reason I am interested in this one is because of the diesel. The engine in this particular Toronado was replaced with a GM Goodwrench crate diesel that has the stronger head bolts. I would like to run bio-diesel through it. I'm not a speed freak. I just need to get it to 70mph and keep it there. I pretty much only want a black car. I don't mind the padded top.

Well... part of the reason I am interested in this one is because of the diesel. The engine in this particular Toronado was replaced with a GM Goodwrench crate diesel that has the stronger head bolts. I would like to run bio-diesel through it. I'm not a speed freak. I just need to get it to 70mph and keep it there. I pretty much only want a black car. I don't mind the padded top.

You made a case for yourself just by what you said. Get that paint fixed. We were talking about cars like this in the other thread the other day.

save up and go big

http://www.orlandoclassiccars.com/showroom...ls.php?v_id=716

heck, you buy that, i'll buy this

http://www.orlandoclassiccars.com/showroom...ls.php?v_id=704

you can trailer the olds to carolina at least :lol:

Lookin for an '82-'85

Sounds like a "green light" for you ... for me, it would have to be a light metallic color, no vinyl roof and the 5.0L Olds Rocket V8 or the infrequent 4.1L 4 bbl. V6 by Buick for Buick/Olds/Cad (which had some quirks, I've read). But this sounds like it could be a good fit for you. Still, if it's in perfect shape and looks/feels new once inside, you will probably be very satisfied with your purchase.

Yes, as whiteknight said, "leverage" the "oh, it's a diesel" factor and work the price down.

I like it and like that it is a diesel. Love the color, love the condition.

If you need help getting the paintwork done I know a few really good guys who are really fair.

And if you want to do a WVO (Waste Veggie Oil) conversion, you could do that to. I know that you are a landlord...any of your tennants work in a fast food resteraunt?

Lots of VW TDI guys run WVO set ups, not that hard. Know lots of people who run it in big trucks also.

Chris

Like most things GM, they cancel them once they perfect them. The replacement engines are suppose to be quite reliable.

Yes, supposedly the Diesels after 1981 were fine. Beware the '78-'80s... of course, if it was a junk engine, it would not have made it to 2009 intact.

Parents' '81 Cutlass Supreme was a diesel... got it dirt cheap due to the Diesel in 1984... dad was a diesel mechanic, so it made sense... however, a few years later it blew the head gasket, even though it was an better engine. It was easier to swap in a gas engine... so it got a '78 Olds 350 4bbl out of a fullsize... car hauled ass after that, so I think it was actually a 403.

A biodiesel Toro would be pretty cool.

Parents' '81 Cutlass Supreme was a diesel... got it dirt cheap due to the Diesel in 1984... dad was a diesel mechanic, so it made sense... however, a few years later it blew the head gasket

Credit the 22:1 (+/-) compression ratio. But then, the high compression ratio is part-and-parcel of the diesel engine, regardless of who makes it.

Echoing what was said earlier, I am sure you will have a mechanic who is familiar with GM cars and their range of offerings, including the diesels.

Credit the 22:1 (+/-) compression ratio. But then, the high compression ratio is part-and-parcel of the diesel engine, regardless of who makes it.

GM did take into account the compression ratio, its just that it seems that too much gasoline engine DNA stayed in the gene pool... i.e., the gasoline engine's 10 bolt head pattern. The 1981-on engines offered completely tapped head bolts to help keep the heads on.

As I recall, the biggest problem with the early diesels were not the head gasket, but the bottom end... which failed in spectacular fashion... damage when you ran over your own crankshaft and put it in your fuel tank.

The 1981-on DX blocks were definitely beefier... seeing it apart in the garage and the 350(or 403) gas engine before it was put in. As I recall, the DX blocks were converted to gas and used by engine builders during the '80s, bored out beyond 455 inches.

Of course, even before the DX in the Cutty blew its gasket, it was clear that driving a diesel car was not the same as a gas engine... and I imagine even good diesel engines got ripped out in favor of gas engines to favor driveability... especially as gas prices stayed low(ish).

ah, i love those cars. someone has a similar age and vintage eldo for sale here in town i should go check out.

that was back in a really great era of vehicles. i love that toronado and its stable mates.

this is the type of car the XTS needs to be!!!!!!!!

not commenting on buy / no buy. clearly you want it, it just seems at what price.

we had an 81 electra diesel that blew head bolts. when it ran, it was amazing. you could drive that car thousands of miles without breaking a sweat and on trips it gave fantastic mileage. it was probably the most luxurious of all the cars my dad had until he got his DTS last year. (92 seville and 89 deville included).

diesel is so EURO! LOL

my dad was always fascinated with diesels as he fixed numerous diesel engines working as an implement mechanic. he always praised those Gm diesels, except of course for that problem they are notorious for. he said it was too bad that they fked that one up.........if GM had not messed it up we may have had diesels this whole time in NA.

we had an 81 electra diesel that blew head bolts. when it ran, it was amazing. you could drive that car thousands of miles without breaking a sweat and on trips it gave fantastic mileage. it was probably the most luxurious of all the cars my dad had until he got his DTS last year.

I once drove someone's '83 LeSabre with the 4.1 Litre V6 in...drum roll...St. Paul, MN (the one and only time I've been there) and I was apprehensive because it was February and there were traces of snow/ice on the highways (is it 90 or 94?). The full-size entry-level Buicks were nice enough, so I could only imagine how nice an Electra or Park Avenue could have been. Their boulevard ride was fantastic. Pushing down on the accelerator and hearing the "unfamiliar" sound of an even-firing V-6, instead of the more familiar sound of a small block GM (Olds) V8 in such a car, was "weird"...so it would have been interesting to be inside the cabin of a diesel-powered GM luxury car of that point in time.

The DTS seems to be the only thing left that alludes to that era, it seems. But, let's face it, GM 80s sheetmetal is unique in its artistry.

I once drove someone's '83 LeSabre with the 4.1 Litre V6 in...drum roll...St. Paul, MN (the one and only time I've been there) and I was apprehensive because it was February and there were traces of snow/ice on the highways (is it 90 or 94?). The full-size entry-level Buicks were nice enough, so I could only imagine how nice an Electra or Park Avenue could have been. Their boulevard ride was fantastic. Pushing down on the accelerator and hearing the "unfamiliar" sound of an even-firing V-6, instead of the more familiar sound of a small block GM (Olds) V8 in such a car, was "weird"...so it would have been interesting to be inside the cabin of a diesel-powered GM luxury car of that point in time.

The DTS seems to be the only thing left that alludes to that era, it seems. But, let's face it, GM 80s sheetmetal is unique in its artistry.

That is the sad part.. There are not really anymore cars like that left except a few. All of which will be retired soon. It is funny how we all were talking about GM cars in the other thread and we are talking about someone buying a GM car from that era.