Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Audi could sell A1 in the States

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hatchback, Audi

audi-a1-sportback.jpg
Audi A1 Sportback concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

Luxury marques are betting big on small cars all around the world, and some are even testing the waters here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. Despite the fact that most every small car intended for premium customers in the States has failed dismally in the past, there's reason to believe that tide may be shifting, and automakers have taken notice.

Add Audi into the mix of European car companies interested in dipping a toe in the small car waters. According to a report from Bloomberg, following the undeniable success of rival BMW's Mini brand, Audi may very well engineer its next-gen A1 with U.S. distribution in mind. We've been hearing this rumor for a while now, and it's once again sourced from Audi's head of sales Peter Schwarzenbauer.

The move is seen as another possible way the four-ringed German automaker can reach its goal of outselling BMW and Mercedes-Benz in all markets all three companies compete in, including, obviously, the United States. In order to line up against Mini, Audi's A1 would likely need a price tag that's well under $20,000 - not an easy task with the car expected to sell at a significantly higher price point in Europe.

[source: Bloomberg]

REPORT: Audi could sell A1 in the States originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Xq9ubwzfz1g:I_Rh-vzWYWQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=Xq9ubwzfz1g:I_Rh-vzWYWQ:V_sGL
Xq9ubwzfz1g

View the full article

Hard to tell exactly what it's going to look like from the renderings, but I'll take one with a supercharged 3.0L, 6-speed manual and quattro. kthx.

Hard to tell exactly what it's going to look like from the renderings, but I'll take one with a supercharged 3.0L, 6-speed manual and quattro. kthx.

Are you shifting your allegiance from Honda to Audi?

Are you shifting your allegiance from Honda to Audi?

I'd take an Acura over an Audi if they offered a vehicle like the new A4 Quattro with MT.

But they don't. The closest thing is the 6MT AWD TL. Too big, too expensive, styling not as good as Audi's. The shifter and reliability are probably better though.

i would rather prefer that audi wouldnt outsell bmw or merc. i like the "exclusiveness". bmw's are all over here and hardly anyone notices them like they used to.

You want a 3.0L engine on a MINI competitor, or are you being ironic/sarcastic? :blink:

You want a 3.0L engine on a MINI competitor, or are you being ironic/sarcastic? :blink:

Yes, and no.

Wouldn't mind a supercharged 3.0L either. :smilewide:

Seems like a 3.0L version of this would be redundant with the A3. Unless it's in an S1.

Seems like a 3.0L version of this would be redundant with the A3. Unless it's in an S1.

S1! I like the way you're thinking. :AH-HA_wink:

Talk about a pocket rocket.

S1! I like the way you're thinking. :AH-HA_wink:

Talk about a pocket rocket.

Would you have that or the 2.0L mill with Twinchargers and producing the same power as the 3.0L? Given the direction VW group is moving that seems like the only solution.

:blink:

*shoots himself in the head*

Well there is still the ideology of no replacement for displacement in US despite of loving foreign made vehicles. One question - Why Not?

Well there is still the ideology of no replacement for displacement in US despite of loving foreign made vehicles. One question - Why Not?

I know... the US market is quite unique in that regard.

As to why not on a car that will not be that much bigger than the MINI: space and weight. Even if a 3.0L V6 fits a car of that size, I wouldn't want a 250hp car if 70% or 80% of its weight is sitting on top of the front axle.

Edited by ZL-1

When I think of the "no replacement for displacement" ideology I think older technology high displacement V8s. I don't think it really applies to something like a modern 3.0L V6, even in a small car.

I know... the US market is quite unique in that regard.

As to why not on a car that will not be that much bigger than the MINI: space and weight. Even if a 3.0L V6 fits a car of that size, I wouldn't want a 250hp car if 70% or 80% of its weight is sitting on top of the front axle.

70/30 distribution is a gross exaggeration. In this hypothetical car I doubt the weight distribution would exceed 60/40 (with AWD) even with the transverse VW platform.

Speaking of platforms, I wonder if VW intends to use the Audi MLP platform on the new A3 (and A1), or will keep those smaller cars on VW platforms.

Would you have that or the 2.0L mill with Twinchargers and producing the same power as the 3.0L? Given the direction VW group is moving that seems like the only solution.

They seem to be gravitating towards that, and nixing the 3.2L on the A3/A4 is a good example.

A higher tuned 2.0L turbo for an S1 or S3 seems more likely, and may be more suited to the size of the vehicle, but I would still prefer an N/A 3.0L (tuned much higher than the regular 3.0L, with a high rpm powerband; maybe 270-280 HP).

Speaking of platforms, I wonder if VW intends to use the Audi MLP platform on the new A3 (and A1), or will keep those smaller cars on VW platforms.

I think the A1 and A3 will be using VW transverse mounted engine platforms. A4-A5-Q5-A6 on the modular patform. A8, I believe, will be sharing platform with some other model. Just don't remember if it is a Bentley...

I think the A1 and A3 will be using VW transverse mounted engine platforms. A4-A5-Q5-A6 on the modular patform. A8, I believe, will be sharing platform with some other model. Just don't remember if it is a Bentley...

Maybe the NG Phaeton.

I wonder if we might see some platform sharing w/ Bentley and Porsche, given the new familial relationship..the Panamera platform would be an interesting basis for the NG Bentley Continental...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

what, because the A3 sells so well they think they can sell an A1 too>?

Because Audi wants to be a volume brand like Toyota.

if they can cook the books enough to pay for the certification they will be lucky to sell 5,000 of them. i am not sure but the A3 doesn't move any metal. the A4 accounts for most Audi sales by far so if they bring this over all they are doing is subsidizing it in the lineup. i sure hope the A4 continues to sell then.

if they can cook the books enough to pay for the certification they will be lucky to sell 5,000 of them. i am not sure but the A3 doesn't move any metal. the A4 accounts for most Audi sales by far so if they bring this over all they are doing is subsidizing it in the lineup. i sure hope the A4 continues to sell then.

If gas prices go up again, maybe the subcompact premium market will take off in the US...Mini has had it all to itself for a while now..

Because Audi wants to be a volume brand like Toyota.

Wrong answer. It's because Audi wants to sell more cars than BMW and Mercedes.

Wrong answer. It's because Audi wants to sell more cars than BMW and Mercedes.

I hope you caught my sarcasm... :AH-HA_wink:

Audi doesn't need to sell 10 or 20 thousand copies of the A3 (or the A1) a month for it to be viable for them. This is in response to reg saying that because they only sell a few hundred A3's a month, there is no reason to bring over the A1.

I hope you caught my sarcasm... :AH-HA_wink:

Oops, sorry. Actually didn't catch the sarcasm. :blush:

Oops, sorry. Actually didn't catch the sarcasm. :blush:

Need to use the <sarcasm> </sarcasm> markup tags. :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room