Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Euro-Spec Chevy Cruze Gets A Second Diesel Engine [I Feel Gassy]

14 posts in this topic

500x_Cruze_2.0_VCDi.jpgWhat would you say if we told you GM's putting another, more miserly diesel in its Euro-spec Chevy Cruze? What if we told you it got 48 MPG city, 73 MPG highway? We expect no 'merican would even be interested.

The new diesel is a 2.0-liter four with 123 HP and 221 lb-ft of torque with a bit less grunt than the 147 HP diesel unit, but even more frugal, with UK pricing starting at only £13,745 on-the-road. Let's think about that for just a second. Generally, Great Britain to US prices don't directly convert, going anywhere form 60-75% of the cost in Britain, but let's just say for the sake of amusement in this case it's a direct conversion, in which case a US price of the 123 HP Cruze diesel would cost $22,709. Compare that against the base price of the stripped Toyota Prius, at $22,000, and a combined economy of 50 MPG. The Cruze's combined fuel economy of 61 MPG takes an astounding 104,300 miles pay off the $709 price gap, based on fuel price alone, assuming current rates, common maintenance, insurance rates and all other costs, and ignoring any government incentives. Kinda points out how ridiculous battling for high-mileage supremacy is doesn't it? Of course, we know if GM had the gumption to bring the diesel Cruze to the US, it would have to be fitted with crazy emissions equipment, but it would more than likely still be a fair bit less than the Prius, so you know, that's depressing.

NEW DIESEL ENGINE IS PERFECT CRUZE COMPANION

Chevrolet Cruze
gets new 125PS diesel engine

* 145g/km, 51.4mpg

* At retailers now

In the short time it has been on sale, the Chevrolet Cruze has already picked up an enviable reputation for delivering class leading value for money, as well as excellent driving dynamics and low running costs.

And now it looks set to build on those strengths further, with the arrival in showrooms of a new powertrain that makes owning a diesel-engined Cruze more affordable and accessible than ever.

The new 125PS VCDi powerplant complements the range-topping 150PS unit, and starts from only £13,745 on-the-road.

It delivers impressive performance, with 0-60mph attainable in 10.3 seconds and a top speed of 122mph, yet at the same time it offers excellent fuel economy, with a combined mpg figure of 51.4. This increases to 61.4mpg on the extra-urban cycle, with an urban economy figure of 40.4mpg. CO2 emissions are 145g/km, meaning an annual road tax bill at current rates of £125.

In entry-level S trim, the Cruze is still comprehensively equipped, with air conditioning, electronic stability control, a CD-radio with auxiliary input socket, front electric windows, remote central locking, body-coloured bumpers, Thatcham approved alarm and electrically adjustable heated door mirrors.

The 125PS engine is also available in the Cruze LS, which adds even more to the standard equipment list – at £14,345, it is still significantly cheaper than many manufacturers' entry level compact family cars, yet comes with electric rear windows, 16-inch alloy wheels, chrome grille surround, rear park assist, steering wheel audio controls and a leather-covered steering wheel and gearknob in addition to the standard kit on the S.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=UDfqOhkwQmQ:E8rwErv55aU:D7DqB2pKE full?i=UDfqOhkwQmQ:E8rwErv55aU:V_sGLiPBp
UDfqOhkwQmQ

View the full article

GM needs this here....NOW, to give Chevy a legit Jetta TDI competitor. A 50 mpg compact would be way more compelling than the Volt, IMHO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

GM needs this here....NOW, to give Chevy a legit Jetta TDI competitor. A 50 mpg compact would be way more compelling than the Volt, IMHO.

I agree. If GM wants to gain traction, it should think outside the box. Let Chevy be the first non "premium" brand to bring mass diesel. Just take VW head on as VW sits on a toll road for cheap diesel milking money and creating a brand value.

I agree. If GM wants to gain traction, it should think outside the box. Let Chevy be the first non "premium" brand to bring mass diesel. Just take VW head on as VW sits on a toll road for cheap diesel milking money and creating a brand value.

Plus having both a diesel and the Volt gives them even more strength...

Plus having both a diesel and the Volt gives them even more strength...

3 Diesels - 2.0L I-4, 3.0L V-6 and 4.5L V-8 - that is all is required. And all those engines are either on the shelf or getting ready to be on one.

What about a version of this diesel in the Volt?

Tune it to generate electric power.

Cool..and GM has done diesel electric locomotives..would be interesting to see them do it in something automotive.

Cool..and GM has done diesel electric locomotives..would be interesting to see them do it in something automotive.

The Diesel would or could give the Torque at low end and give better mileage. I have thought this would be a great edition as someone buying the Volt is already open to new concepts even a Diesel. Also this would play well in the Opel version in Europe.

the only issue I could see is old fuel in the tank if not used often by sort use drivers. You would need a system to remove water or a way to deal with old Diesel.

Someone on short trips may not use the fuel for months. For example the Volt as it is would be just an electric vehicle for me on my daily drive to work and back. I could go for months with never firing up the engine other than it's normal cycle I heard GM said it may do.

Edited by hyperv6

Does this engine meet US bin5 regulations? Lutz said they were 5 times tougher than the Euro5 standards, and meeting them involves an extra few thousand dollars and the mileage decreases. Also, I think Jalopnik is citing Imperial gallon mpg figures.

agreed! my GM card is shivering at the thought!

but the volt might be why they WOULDNT bring it here........

221 lb. ft of torque!

Edited by regfootball

The Diesel would or could give the Torque at low end and give better mileage. I have thought this would be a great edition as someone buying the Volt is already open to new concepts even a Diesel. Also this would play well in the Opel version in Europe.

the only issue I could see is old fuel in the tank if not used often by sort use drivers. You would need a system to remove water or a way to deal with old Diesel.

Someone on short trips may not use the fuel for months. For example the Volt as it is would be just an electric vehicle for me on my daily drive to work and back. I could go for months with never firing up the engine other than it's normal cycle I heard GM said it may do.

I hope the torque comment was regarding the Cruze, not the Volt...

I hope the torque comment was regarding the Cruze, not the Volt...

Yes I ment the Cruze on that since the generator would not need the torque.

But the Volt would need higher RPM to run the generator. I wonder how the car would sound at high RPM with a Diesel? Would noise be an issue? NHV could be an issue?

Even if GM only sold a few thousand a year, it would give them more "green" points than any other automaker out there. It would be worth billions from a public relations stand point.

If GM wants itself to be considered a green company only Voltec is not going to help. Diesels should play a vital role too. Diesel Cruize will be a lark in the bunch of ho hum pigeons.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0