• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Mercedes-Benz now shipping the S400 Hybrid to US dealers

Filed under: Hybrid, Sedan, Mercedes-Benz

01-2010-m-b-s400-630.jpg
2010 Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid - Click above for high-res image gallery

photo-10.jpgMercedes-Benz has apparently begun shipping the new S400 BlueHybrid sedan to its US dealer network, as one of our readers spotted one and grabbed a photo of the window sticker. The S400 is Mercedes' first production hybrid vehicle and utilizes the mild hybrid system it developed in conjunction with BMW. While BMW is going whole-hog for performance with its ActiveHybrid 7 Series, Mercedes is going for more efficiency. The Stuttgart brand has opted use its 3.5-liter V6 with the hybrid system along with the first lithium ion battery used in such an application. The 120 V battery is actually nearly the same size as a traditional lead acid starter battery and takes its place in the engine compartment - meaning no trunk space is lost compared to the standard car.

The S400 Hybrid gets an EPA rating of 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. That compares to 15/23 mpg for the V8 powered S550. The base price on the S400 starts at $87,950 and the car spotted by our reader had a bottom line of $93,775. You can configure your own S400 at the Mercedes USA site. Thanks to USCGTO for the tip!

Mercedes-Benz now shipping the S400 Hybrid to US dealers originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 07:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=DYUhX_rgA2E:bK91EA_6Oxg:wF9xT autoblog?i=DYUhX_rgA2E:bK91EA_6Oxg:V_sGL
DYUhX_rgA2E

View the full article

The 120 V battery is actually nearly the same size as a traditional lead acid starter battery and takes its place in the engine compartment - meaning no trunk space is lost compared to the standard car.

The overall car is unremarkable, but this one detail is very important, I hope all hybrids can go this way!

I bet the 19/26 mpg could be achieved with a diesel engine. So I wonder why not do hybrid on top of their diesel V6 to get really get the mileage up. Or use a two-mode system, although I seem to remember them working on a hybrid system paired with a 4-cylinder diesel that got 40 mpg. There are probably a lot of S-classes that sit in traffic all day in London, New York, Berlin, etc and are never driven above 40 mph, so a high mileage version makes sense. And they have the V12 versions for the speed freaks.

I bet the 19/26 mpg could be achieved with a diesel engine. So I wonder why not do hybrid on top of their diesel V6 to get really get the mileage up. Or use a two-mode system, although I seem to remember them working on a hybrid system paired with a 4-cylinder diesel that got 40 mpg. There are probably a lot of S-classes that sit in traffic all day in London, New York, Berlin, etc and are never driven above 40 mph, so a high mileage version makes sense. And they have the V12 versions for the speed freaks.

MB has their Bluetec E-class diesel here, surprised they don't have an S-class version here...I think the Euro S-class is available w/ V6 and V8 diesels..probably get better mileage than this...

MB has their Bluetec E-class diesel here, surprised they don't have an S-class version here...I think the Euro S-class is available w/ V6 and V8 diesels..probably get better mileage than this...

Luckily I have Top Gear magazine and it has all the European cars and their specs. S320 CDI gets 34 mpg (imperial) while an E320 CDI gets 38.7 mpg. So it loses a few MPG's but by comparison a Saab 9-5 gets 31.7 mpg and a Passat 2.0T gets 34.4 mpg. I'd guess the S320 CDI would get an EPA rating of around 22/30. Mercedes should just sell that, or put the hybrid on it to get high 20's in combined mileage.

No V8 diesel for Mercedes sedans in Europe, but they make a 4 liter diesel V8 for their SUVs.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook