Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Parents of teen with speeding ticket fighting citation with personal GPS data

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Government/Legal, Technology

gps_v_radar.jpg
It seems as though there may just be a positive side to those unwelcome GPS-based vehicle tracking devices... especially if you are a teenager. Shaun Malone, a 17-year-old California resident, was cited by radar-yielding authorities for driving 62 mph in a 45 mph zone in 2007. Faced with a $194 fine (and some inflating insurance premiums), Shaun's parents fought back arguing their son's vehicle was equipped with a satellite-based tracking device that monitored Shaun's speed - and it showed he was doing 45 mph when he was stopped.

While they can be affected by poor reception or noise in the radio signal, GPS-based speedometers are generally considered the benchmark for measuring velocity. On the other hand, radar measurements are also considered very accurate, as long as the human at the other end of the device is correctly trained and is tracking the proper vehicle. At stake is the credibility of radar. As Doppler-based speed enforcement has become a primary source of revenue for law enforcement agencies nationwide, police don't want their technology challenged. With that in mind, the local Petaluma police have spent a reported $15,000 on the trial. The case is to be decided in the coming weeks.

[source: Christian Science Monitor]

REPORT: Parents of teen with speeding ticket fighting citation with personal GPS data originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=LExMNA7NgbQ:AoeSwu8msA0:wF9xT autoblog?i=LExMNA7NgbQ:AoeSwu8msA0:V_sGL
LExMNA7NgbQ

View the full article

$15,000 dolllars on the trial is ridiculous. Especially for a 194 dollar ticket. In Wyoming if you show up to an "optional appearance" in court to challenge the ticket, and the officer who issued the citation doesn't show, they usually dismiss it. Then again, in California maybe they are just that concerned with being right...

They're not paying $15k because of this one kid. They're paying $15k to try and ensure the future viability of radar readings in court.

I hope the police loose, they should be spending time on other more critical crimes and services than on tickets. More and more states seem to be hiring more and more cops to just issue tickets to try and bring in more revenue. When did the cops become a profit center, let alone a money source. Seems gov has gotten it all wrong as they go to red light running gear for intersections and camera's for speeding on the highway.

It seems they are more worried about how much money can be brought in by the police for the city or county rather than the service of protecting the people From crime, etc. Very sad these days.

well if RADAR goes bust they'll switch to laser i guess. i wonder where the GPS received the next signal. i have been hiking before and the handheld say 0 a good 10 secs after moving and say a speed 5 or so secs after i've stopped. dont know if its the fact its a hand held has anything to do with it though.

well if RADAR goes bust they'll switch to laser i guess. i wonder where the GPS received the next signal. i have been hiking before and the handheld say 0 a good 10 secs after moving and say a speed 5 or so secs after i've stopped. dont know if its the fact its a hand held has anything to do with it though.

My GPS almost always says I'm going 2-3 mph slower than I actually am, still that is not enough IMO to constitute such a big deal. And, I agree with dfelt. The police should be more worried about protecting the people than making profits.

My GPS almost always says I'm going 2-3 mph slower than I actually am, still that is not enough IMO to constitute such a big deal. And, I agree with dfelt. The police should be more worried about protecting the people than making profits.

Are you sure your speedo isn't off?

Both my Blackberry Storm and G1 have GPS and GPS speedo apps. I was concerned that my van's speedo was off, yet it was dead-on according to both GPS phones... and even speed changes had little delay... 1-2 seconds tops... usually less. Now I was unsure of the GPS phones' accuracy... so I tried them on my '99 Bonne and GF's '04 Corolla. All dead-on. I was actually pretty impressed by GPS'es speedometer results.

OTOH, I also have a laptop GPS widget... which is older, cheaper and it does have delay and questionable speedo features... I was doing about 7 mph sitting at my desk.

Both my Blackberry Storm and G1 have GPS and GPS speedo apps. I was concerned that my van's speedo was off, yet it was dead-on according to both GPS phones... and even speed changes had little delay... 1-2 seconds tops... usually less. Now I was unsure of the GPS phones' accuracy... so I tried them on my '99 Bonne and GF's '04 Corolla. All dead-on. I was actually pretty impressed by GPS'es speedometer results.

OTOH, I also have a laptop GPS widget... which is older, cheaper and it does have delay and questionable speedo features... I was doing about 7 mph sitting at my desk.

there is an ap for the itouch that does speed and calculates 1/4 mile times, accel. g's and other junk... been tryin to get my buddy to get it.

Nothing wrong with ticketing speeders, you shouldn't be going 110 in a 65, you're just asking for it. Now ticketing for going like 5 over is stupid.

I thought about that , but I guess I've never worried about it too much...what's a couple mph?

I thought about that , but I guess I've never worried about it too much...what's a couple mph?

If you ever decide to check it reliably, just hit the interstate & use the mile marker signs.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0