Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Thinking thoughts about the next car

Intrepidation

Its that time of year again. Winter is only a few months away and with it will come snow, ice, and worst of all, salt.

With all the work that' been done t the Intrepid I really want it to sit the winter out again this year. However I also want to keep the Prizm out of the stuff as much as possible, because I don't want it to rust away.

I'm just casually looking around for now, nothing serious. It's always fun to look. If I do get something 'm planning to do it around November. I'm looking for dirt cheap really. Something I won't feel bad about. I'd really like a wagon or a minivan...I miss that utility, but anything that is mechanically sound where it counts will do.

Of course, if I were to end up with the GM I'd be happy with that. Sure I care about the car but it's a tank and its got snow tires on it, I'd just actually wash it and studd regularly unlike a pure beater.

Anyone else looking for a beater?

I've thought about it, a little, alongside my "move north" semi plans. I started thinking about the ole G8 and worse roads, an actual winter, etc. and had scary thoughts, just because it barely gets dusty let alone sees a bump in the road down here in beach land.

Without any other plans figure out yet, however, the farthest I've gone with my thoughts is some kind of basic FWD mid-size sedan, dime a dozen but not necessarily crap on a beige boat, but who knows. Now, back to those plans in the first place...

Dodgefan-

Break down and buy a used Subaru Wagon now that you have a real job. With you and Jessi Chan knocking knees at night, someday you will make a Dodgefan junior. Plus a Subie would be agreat in the snow, besides, you will want one when you visit Camino LS6 in NH in Winter.

Seriously, Subie Wagon.

Chris

IF your thinking cost of car, think resale and aftermarket availability of parts, also.

Subies have great resale and have lots of aftermarket stuff available for them.

WRX wagons can be had reasonably, possibly not what you would consider cheap. But the performance potential is there and they can be made to go anywhere.

You might also consider a last gen Wagon B/D body car. Again, inexpensive,easy to repair, and would be a good family wagon.

An old Ford Crown Vic police car would be cool also...hell...for that matter...get an old Crown Vic and a New Charger ex cop car and have a pair!

Chris

I actually wouldn't mind a Toyota product, especially a Camry wagon. Remember, my goal is to something I won't care about beating the crap out of. :wink:

I've seen a couple Subarus...always liked the first gen outbacks, plus AWD would be sweet. However my budget is no more than $500 so finding one that works will be tough. I've seen a couple Saturns for that price, even saw a Silverado is good condition for $400

Okay then...my choice...

Get a Shadow. From someplace like Arizona or Georgia where it isn't rusted like the other one. Seriously. I have friends that I haven't seen in awhile, they bought a shadow new way back in the way back, looked like death warmed over once the paint started to peel off of the roof and hood. They Painted the car at Maaco, and gave it to their teenage daughter. That was in like 2001. Went by their house the other day, car is still running fine, it wn't die.

For me myself...get one of the old Turbo Mopars from the 80's or early 90's. They run like a scalded cat, parts are cheaper than corn flakes, Mopar built a million of them, and they drive good. I once had a two door omno (looked like the Shelby but wasn't one) a decent car.

You can still find decent crown vics for the budget you've proposed.

Chris

Dodgefan-

Break down and buy a used Subaru Wagon now that you have a real job. With you and Jessi Chan knocking knees at night, someday you will make a Dodgefan junior. Plus a Subie would be agreat in the snow, besides, you will want one when you visit Camino LS6 in NH in Winter.

Seriously, Subie Wagon.

Chris

Aye, YES.

One in the driveway and I forgot about that. My previously GM everything father replaced his Roadmaster with a '96 Legacy wagon for $1k (needed cleaned and some dents removed...a week later, huge change and 0 mechanical issues at 184k) and he loves the thing. Gets good mileage, is peppy (I was overly surprised by this when I took it out a month ago) as could be and performs very well. Solid and rattle free at 13 years and 184k, too. Again, he loves it and it was a great move on his part because he can carry anything and everything like he used to with old vans, but still get good mileage and toss the car around more.

Then again...THERE's a good idea for me too if I move and can't bear to put the G8 to the elements all year...

On my way home from Lowell today I passed by a small used car dealer on 110 and noticed out from was a grayish `99 LHS with a window sticker for $699. Naturally had to go back and check it out.

Park in front of the office and an old salesman greets me. I ask if I can go look at the LHS and if the price was $699. he said yes. We went over to it and he started it up.

First things I notice: it has an exhuast leak and more ominously, it makes a hissing/humming sound (what is that sound anyway?). He pops teh hood and I have a look. First thing I notice here is that it's dirty, and there's oil residue around the oil filler cap and the front of the plenum.

Then I noticed that the a/c belt had come off and was just hanging there inside out. I let the guy know, who was surprised. He turned it off and pull teh broken belt out.

Next I start checking fluids. This is where things go from bad to worse. Oil cap has antifreeze residue on the bottom of it and lining the inside.

Check the dipstick, the oil is dirty and it has particles all over it. This engine is basically a ticking time bomb.

The other fluids looked ok, but but because the engine was warm I couldn't check the antifreeze to see if oil was mixing or whatnot.

Body appears to be in reasonable shape besides a weird dent on teh trunk lid, like someone tried to pry it open. The trunk itself had an alloy spare in it...but no lining at all. Passenger window did not work, the others did but the driver's motor didn't sound good. The central locks did not work from the driver's door nor did the trunk release. However, they did work via the fob. There was tape on the passenger door window switch. Otherwise the interior looked in reasonable shape.

As I was going around again I noticed that black paint was coming off the side mirrors and that, weirdly, the grill that the wipers rest on (whatever its called) was gone.

It also had 204,000 (hard apparently) miles.

After looking it over I start talking to the salesman about it. He told me it drives, steers and shifts good, and didn't overheat. I told him that's good, and the electrical problems and exhuast leak aren't so bad, but there's antifreeze mixing with the oil and that there were particles in the oil, and that it was only a matter of time before it went.

He had nothing to say after that.

A shame really, but couldn't do an engine swap myself, and that would run about $2,000 before all of the other issues were taken care of.

I want a beater, but $700 IMO is too much and that engine isn't long for this world.

You can get a MUCH, MUCH better beater than some monstrosity like that. Even liking LH cars, I'd not recommend another as a beater, just for things like powertrain, etc. after a lifetime with who the heck knows driving & not maintaining...yet at the same time there are a lot of other choices that even if not necessarily treated well still have a better track record & less issues. Just not at all something I'd even look to, right price or otherwise. They're meaty cars but require continued effort going over their weak spots to keep them as such, for years. One of them as a project is fine, but you know :AH-HA_wink:

Amazing how awful shape a lot of LH cars of similar vintage are in now, a lot due to their various owner's, but even that. I guess nearly 9 years ago now, when my mother had to have & finally got her Deep Slate '00 300M someone down the road had just gotten a new Stone White '00 LHS earlier in the year and I remember actually trying to steer her to one of those, for some reason, I think looks. She refused and then ended up getting rid of the 300M in 18 months after problems, an accident, and more problems, but that white LHS remained and I still saw it often. Didn't seem to change too much over the years except for the "they all do it" headlights turning solid yellow and some of the black window trim going gray, but then I just saw it recently and it's now parked across from the house, looks like someone scuffed the front corner on a pole and from fascia to the chrome wheels to otherwise it just looks like it's had a full 9 years and is done. Probably isn't, but later on in life it hasn't aged well and looks ragged--their Ram of the same vintage is still in use and seems A-ok.

Long story short...it's still amazing the condition, and not in a good way, all of the '99+ LH cars I see are in, even at times more so than the earlier gens. Then hit a salvage yard and keep counting how many of the 2.7L variety, still shiny and all, are lined up.

Ideas...

-Subaru Legacy/Outback or even Impreza hatch/wagon

-'97 or earlier Accord wagon

-'95-99 oval or '00-05 Taurus/Sable wagon? Always solid, always cheap and not a bad choice for practical beater...

Wow...I just can't think of much in the way of GM...or even domestic in general. Taurus could be good, though, in an '00+ wagon...maybe...

Edited by caddycruiser

Oh I wasn't really looking at it as a beater, I was just curious why the price was so low....and I got my answer.

As far as LH cars go, yeah there's a lot of beat up ones but you can also find some treasures too. Friend of mine got a 2.7 SE as a beater so he could keep his ES off teh road. The owner thought the engine was bad and parked it for two years. Turned out that all it was was the harmonic balance pulley. That thing is in amazing shape...paint looks factory fresh without swirling or anything....all for $300.

Then I saw for about $500 on Craigslist an R/T that overheated, had a messed up interior, and every body panel was damaged.

Oh I wasn't really looking at it as a beater, I was just curious why the price was so low....and I got my answer.

I thought that...but had to reinforce. Even I'd look, just out of curiosity! 8)

It's fascinating, sometimes, to see such cars at such prices and really explore just how BAD they really are...never ceases to amaze. And you always wonder, what the heck did the previous owner(s) do with them...or just not do...reminds me of stories my brother working in a collision shop always retells of seeing few year old at most X_____ come in for repairs and in just moving them around the lot, etc. get to see how trashed the interiors are, how (this one ALL the time) many have the Change Oil light on and are running rough, etc. People and their cars, yikes.

Edited by caddycruiser

I thought that...but had to reinforce. Even I'd look, just out of curiosity! 8)

It's fascinating, sometimes, to see such cars at such prices and really explore just how BAD they really are...never ceases to amaze. And you always wonder, what the heck did the previous owner(s) do with them...or just not do...reminds me of stories my brother working in a collision shop always retells of seeing few year old at most X_____ come in for repairs and in just moving them around the lot, etc. get to see how trashed the interiors are, how (this one ALL the time) many have the Change Oil light on and are running rough, etc. People and their cars, yikes.

I know, it amazes me how badly people can treat their cars. Of course then youc ome across bargains that have been very well cared for. Just a matter of looking.

I know, it amazes me how badly people can treat their cars. Of course then youc ome across bargains that have been very well cared for. Just a matter of looking.

It really is. Hence, for example, my father's '96 Legacy. He was still unsure of what he wanted and looked at a lot of "meh" and all it took was me, 5 minutes and Craigslist and wa-la, PERFECT, exactly what he wanted. White, a wagon, reliable/efficient, maintained very well but also cheap because it could use some visuals...dead on. Now he sees the same cars or less still for 3x as much, so all it takes is the right search.

Any other idea cars you might fancy? Anything in that short list I came up with...heh?

I'm not picky really. All it has to do is run, drive, stop, and have heat...though I'd rather it not be an old Hyundai or Kia. Anything else goes. I don't mind little things or cosmetics because I can fix those. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 on it. That's really my only requirements.

This Accord for example:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1382964314.html

There was also a Spirit which seemed not too shabby, though its gone now.

I'm not picky really. All it has to do is run, drive, stop, and have heat...though I'd rather it not be an old Hyundai or Kia. Anything else goes. I don't mind little things or cosmetics because I can fix those. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 on it. That's really my only requirements.

This Accord for example:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1382964314.html

There was also a Spirit which seemed not too shabby, though its gone now.

Something like that would probably be a great choice. I think my ideas were a little far fetched as far as price, but regardless...I'd do this over a really old 70's, etc. anything even if it is solid.

How about an old 4cyl S10 or Ranger, or similar? I'm sure those can be had within your price range. When it comes to utility, you can't beat an open bed pickup.

Times like these are a great time to have 68 around. How many cars has he bought for pennies on the pound? :P

S 10 or Ranger, yes. I Bought a Ranger from a friends brother who was moving to Miami from Cleveland. Was an Ohio Rustbucket, paid $600 for it, it ran great for two years, got most of my money back out of it.

It was 4 years ago that I sold it, still belongs to a guy who has kids at my sons Middle School. With 250K on the clock it still runs strong.

A gas hog, but you might want to find an old F-150 like Balthazar clunked. Those 300 Inline sixes run 4ever, I've seen a bunch with 300K plus on the clock.

A fullsize Chevrolet truck, 2WD, !/2 ton might also be a great vehicle to fix up. Body panels pretty much unbolt on everything, a bunch of these got clunked so bodyparts are available cheap, and it would make a great lowrider/parts chaser/etc.

Also cool would be the Chevrolet Fullsize as a rat rod...Mexican blanket, primer, lower it, Bright red painted steel wheels, and a few "accesories" and you should be set. Will make a great tow vehicle for when you finally see the light and buy an SRT-4 for SCCA club racing and you need to tow to Lime Rock.

Chris

Crown Vics would make decent cheap beaters, I think.... back in the '80s, my brother went 5 winters on 2 '73 Ford LTDs, one was $50 and the other was $300...both ran great, one had 250k miles...Ohio rust eventually killed it (he ran over the radiator after it fell off and the rear axle w/ both wheels attached fell off...)

I've been half tempted to pick up a CVPI myself as a commuter car..

Crown Vics would make decent cheap beaters, I think.... back in the '80s, my brother went 5 winters on 2 '73 Ford LTDs, one was $50 and the other was $300...both ran great, one had 250k miles...Ohio rust eventually killed it (he ran over the radiator after it fell off and the rear axle w/ both wheels attached fell off...)

I've been half tempted to pick up a CVPI myself as a commuter car..

That would be a good choice too...