Dashboard vinyl separating/peeling at edges...

The vinyl on the dashboard has begun to separate at the bottom of the dashboard...i.e. above the emergency brake pedal on the driver's side and, on the passenger side, below the glove box, where it sweeps back into the area where the lower a/c ducts are located. I can tell there was some old glue between the vinyl and the dash because I can feel the bumps with my fingers. It's only noticeable to me, since most people wouldn't look at the bottom edge of the dashboard...and the car is 17.5 years old.

A few questions:

How do I reattach the vinyl that is beginning to separate? What is the name of the type of adhesive that is used? Where do I get it? Any tips on the preparation for, and actually doing, this procedure...

Thanks!

Pics would help, but 3M make a lne of adhesive that will work. Forget the exact name, but just ask at any auto parts store. As for surface prep...you'll want it to be as clean as possible for best adhesion.

Agreed. I think you are thinking of 3M's Super 77 adhesive. Its a bit pricy, but very good... even if the prep is not perfect. Super 77 is a spray adhesive, however, and might not work for just touching up a little trim situation without getting adhesive all over the place.

Darn it, I burnt my pizza while writing this!

What he could do is mask off the ares around the trim piece with say, painter's tape to avoid spillage, that might work.

Oh, it can be done... I'm just trying to impress that it can be _very_ messy. I'd do alot of masking.

Or it might be possible to shoot some into a small cup and brush it on with a disposable brush. I don't recall how fast it got tacky.

I would also recommend coming up with some kind of clamping set up. The best way to get this stuff to hold is to clamp it completely for a few hours.

Oh, it can be done... I'm just trying to impress that it can be _very_ messy. I'd do alot of masking.

Or it might be possible to shoot some into a small cup and brush it on with a disposable brush. I don't recall how fast it got tacky.

I would also recommend coming up with some kind of clamping set up. The best way to get this stuff to hold is to clamp it completely for a few hours.

Hah, that's awesome. I do that very thing when I need to paint a little area and only have spray paint handy. :P

You can probably pick up a bottle of brush-on fabric glue at an arts and crafts store for a couple of bucks. I think that would work just fine. My sister uses this stuff called Modge Podge.

Or, just spray a ton of the 3M stuff onto a piece of cardboard, and brush that onto the vinyl.

Nothing says "classy" like Velour

http://utilities.coverking.com/partlookupJ...mp;group=22242G

after the dash starts to get crappy I normally pick up a dash cover normally carpet since they around $25

Those are practically a staple in the southwest. 9/10 cars have them. People are either trying to prevent the dash form cracking, or are hiding an already cracked dash.

Those are practically a staple in the southwest. 9/10 cars have them. People are either trying to prevent the dash form cracking, or are hiding an already cracked dash.

Some of the first automotive things I bought after moving to AZ was a fitted carpeted dash cover, steering wheel cover, and sheepskin seat covers and a better windshield sun shade. So far my dash hasn't cracked. I need to find/make an armrest cover, though, since it gets really hot on the 115 degree July days. Though I hope I'm done with those.

Thats why i have no desire to live any wear near there. I complain after it gets hotter than 75ºF

Nice cool fall weather today, though. Only 97 high. Supposed to get down to a chilly 69 degrees tonight. Wish I were in Colorado today--44 in Denver, with a chance of snow in Boulder and the foothills tonight!

Nice cool fall weather today, though. Only 97 high. Supposed to get down to a chilly 69 degrees tonight. Wish I were in Colorado today--44 in Denver, with a chance of snow in Boulder and the foothills tonight!

I'm beginning to prefer cooler weather. It doesn't wear you out.

I do have dash covers which match the (burgundy) interior over the dashboard and over the rear shelf. No cracking.

I think it's separating at the bottom because that's where I've done some work (changed the blower fan, etc.) over the years.

Eww....dash covers look so cheap, tacky and nasty, IMHO.

My dash has small crack along the crease where the texture of the vinyl changes. Common problem for Intrepids. It's not bad though. I'll live with it until I change out the dash. I'd rather do that than put one of those nasty covers on. :P

Plus when the A/C gets revamped the dash will need to come out anyway.

Eww....dash covers look so cheap, tacky and nasty, IMHO.

My dash has small crack along the crease where the texture of the vinyl changes. Common problem for Intrepids. It's not bad though. I'll live with it until I change out the dash. I'd rather do that than put one of those nasty covers on. :P

Plus when the A/C gets revamped the dash will need to come out anyway.

Dash covers are kind of a necessity in AZ, though, with the constant sun and triple digit heat for 5 months.. I'm glad my cover fits without using velcro or double sided tape. I got one specifically made for a Grand Cherokee.

My sister's '84 Merc 500SEL has a heavily cracked dashpad, and has a cover that attaches w/ doublesided tape, but the tape dried out, so when I accelerate the cover falls off..ha ha...

All the years I was in Colorado I never used one, since I had a garage and usually always parked in a garage for work. No such luck here.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Dash covers are kind of a necessity in AZ, though, with the constant sun and triple digit heat for 5 months.. I'm glad my cover fits without using velcro or double sided tape.

Ditto here. Any place that has a long, hot dry summer is conducive to having dash covers.

Yes, I much prefer seeing the burgundy-colored "ravine styled" dash and overhanging, uninterrupted cowl (found on the 1988-1994 Regals), but from May through September, I've kept the carpeted dash covers "velcroed" on. During the winter months, I take them off.

One more reason not to move to AZ then! :P

I wouldn't recommend it. I regret moving here, should have stayed in Colorado. Even my sister sometimes says she regrets moving back here in '97 (she lived in Phoenix originally after college from '80-89, then moved to Boston, then moved back to Phoenix in '97--moving back here was part of marriage #3).

I wouldn't recommend it. I regret moving here, should have stayed in Colorado. Even my sister sometimes says she regrets moving back here in '97 (she lived in Phoenix originally after college from '80-89, then moved to Boston, then moved back to Phoenix in '97--moving back here was part of marriage #3).

Between PHX and DEN, I'd pick DEN. I think I could put up with knowing so many granolas live within 40 miles of me (in Boulder, that is) and choose to live in of those kept-up suburbs or, better yet, in Evergreen or Conifer (those looked nice).

Now, if you add BOS to the mix, and I COULD AFFORD IT, I'd live in New England in a heartbeat. The coast of Maine is unbelievable (minus Subarus).

Between PHX and DEN, I'd pick DEN. I think I could put up with knowing so many granolas live within 40 miles of me (in Boulder, that is) and choose to live in of those kept-up suburbs or, better yet, in Evergreen or Conifer (those looked nice).

Evergreen is very nice...because of the altitude, they get a lot more snow than Denver or Boulder. It's a bit too far out for me as far as commuting...I used to have a coworker that lived up there and commuted to the DTC, about an hour to an hour and half each way.

Now, if you add BOS to the mix, and I COULD AFFORD IT, I'd live in New England in a heartbeat. The coast of Maine is unbelievable (minus Subarus).

I've thought seriously about the Boston area before..went up there many times to visit my sister when I was in college and grad school in the '90s, lots to do in the city, great countryside, mountains and ocean nearby. There is still plenty of tech work there. A good friend that I worked with in Colorado moved from Breckenridge (he's a skiing fanatic) to the Boston 'burbs a few years ago...just a lot more job opportunties there, rather than commuting from a Colorado ski town. A couple buddies from college and grad school have been there since around '00..

The winters are pretty harsh, though. But it's a shorter flight to Europe than from the West..

I find the cost of living to be high in NE but then I'm only starting out career wise. If you have a solid portfolio and work experience, you probably wouldn't have issues. The only thing I don't like about NE is the salt, which is why I'm considering a beater.

Otherwise NE is great. We've got mountains, lakes, oceans, forests, urban, suburban, and rual all in reasonable close proximity of one another. Plus you can't beat Autumn here.

I find the cost of living to be high in NE but then I'm only starting out career wise. If you have a solid portfolio and work experience, you probably wouldn't have issues. The only thing I don't like about NE is the salt, which is why I'm considering a beater.

Otherwise NE is great. We've got mountains, lakes, oceans, forests, urban, suburban, and rual all in reasonable close proximity of one another. Plus you can't beat Autumn here.

Too much snow though...