Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

TCC: Unofficial 'Want' List For GM's Chevy Volt Tops 50,000

12 posts in this topic

2011-chevrolet-volt-production-show-car_ General Motors hasn't begun selling its highly anticipated Chevrolet Volt to the public just yet, but there's at least one unofficial waiting list for the range-extended hybrid (or range-extended EV) -- and it recently passed 50,000 names.Dr. Lyle J. Dennis started the "Want List" at GM-Volt.com in May 2007. Sign-ups were slow in coming but ..

di
di

TheCarConnection?i=OrjhtDCyKV0:fb2Cf1nhE TheCarConnection?d=qj6IDK7rITs TheCarConnection?i=OrjhtDCyKV0:fb2Cf1nhE TheCarConnection?d=TzevzKxY174 TheCarConnection?d=7Q72WNTAKBA
OrjhtDCyKV0

View the full article

There's something like 300,000 people in Hollywood and this is all they've gotten?

This is like when I sell a car.

When I own one everyone tells me let me know when you sell as I will buy it and when the time comes no one has the money.

It will be interesting to see how many follow through.

This is like when I sell a car.

When I own one everyone tells me let me know when you sell as I will buy it and when the time comes no one has the money.

It will be interesting to see how many follow through.

Those were my thoughts as well.

Plus when that list was started the Volt looked a lot different, cost a lot less, had a better electric range, and (I think it is safe to say) had better fuel eficiency when on the ICE. It still didn't make much sense, but it made ever more than it does now.

The Volt is one of those things that seems to make a lot of sense until you actually think about it. Then reality kicks in hard.

Edited by GXT

Plus when that list was started the Volt looked a lot different, cost a lot less, had a better electric range, and (I think it is safe to say) had better fuel eficiency when on the ICE. It still didn't make much sense, but it made ever more than it does now.

The Volt is one of those things that seems to make a lot of sense until you actually think about it. Then reality kicks in hard.

I think I remember you doubting the Volt would ever even become a reality. Reality has kicked in hard.

The point isn't always saving money. People trying to save $200 a year in gasoline because they are looking for a way to save money aren't going to be looking at the Volt. I didn't switch my entire house over to CFLs because I got a great deal on CFLBulbs, I did it because it's the right thing to do.

I may wonder if they all will buy but that did not change my thought that GM needs and should build this car.

The fact was made clear from start this first gen was not going to be cheap and the end goal . GM has stated many times that his was only the start.

People have been buying Prius for years and never really saved much money if any depending on how much they drive, how they drive and how much they paid. It is more a status thing or something that just make them feel good and if GM can make more money by doing this more power to them.

I still am not conviced on Global Warming but I will be the first to say this is the right thing for GM to do.

I still am not conviced on Global Warming but I will be the first to say this is the right thing for GM to do.

It's not just a global warming thing.

Cantarell down 30% in just 4 months: As we last reported, in May 2009, Cantarell Field's April 2009 production averaged 713,000 barrels per day, down from 862,060 barrels per day in late 2008. Now, according to a September 9, 2009 article in the Wall Street Journal, Cantarell is down to 500,000 barrels per day. (presumably for August 2009, and not yet plotted on the above graph). This represents a 30 % drop over only 4 months, which far exceeds the last calculated decline rate of 35 % PER YEAR.

Background: Cantarell Field was producing 2,100,000 barrels per day in late 2004. Cantarell, at that time, supplied around 2.5 % of the world's liquid hydrocarbons (not just crude, but also condensate and natural gas liquids). So, here is a substantial portion of the world's oil production that is declining at a rate MUCH greater than 5 % per year ...

and that's just one field. The story is turning out to be the same in fields all over the world... including the second largest one in Kuwait.

Mexico will no longer be able to export oil after about 2014. The Volt will be timed perfectly.

The point isn't always saving money. People trying to save $200 a year in gasoline because they are looking for a way to save money aren't going to be looking at the Volt. I didn't switch my entire house over to CFLs because I got a great deal on CFLBulbs, I did it because it's the right thing to do.

Who hasn't switched to CFLs?

The question is, instead of the ~13W $6 CFLs why haven't you switched to the ~4W $50 LEDs?

CFLs are Prius, Insight, Camry Hybrid, etc. In some cases the Volt is the 4W LED that a few will buy, but in too many cases it is the $50 LED that still uses 13W that pushes the smart people to the CFL.

I think I remember you doubting the Volt would ever even become a reality. Reality has kicked in hard.

As I have said many times to such posts...

I've never denied that I never thought GM would make it this far. But given the current situation it seems that GM is on pace to at least "Solstice" the Volt.

As for everything else:

1) As for whether the Volt they are still talking about delivering is even close to what they promised ($40,000 vs under $30,000, 40 mile AER vs 32 (just don't use the AC or heat or have a passenger), 50MPG vs 40?MPG on ice (turbo 3 vs 4cyl), mass market vs 10,000 units, muscular concept vs econobox that at least looks better than a Prius, etc.)

2) As for whether the concept with the detergent box and the couple of conventional batteries was an actual working model that leap-frogged Toyota

3) As for whether GM had any real knowledge about what they were proposing when the announced the concept (more aerodynamic backwards, mis-cost based on a cruze +$10K battery, revelations that stereos use power, etc.)

4) As for "If GM can do this, anyone can do this".

I've been proven right on all of those.

But yes, apparently they will bother to produce a few of these money losers in 2010. As a taxpayer funding this boondoggle, I'm not too happy. I had thought that when GM was farther along they would realize that what they would end up with IS what they are ending up with and then realize it didn't make much sense to proceed. It seems I misjudged GM's lack of business sense.

I can only hope that what they are actually doing, and what they will continue to do is... continue to get all the PR they can from this and ensure the volume remains low until they get the battery breakthrough that they intially claimed they would need for this car to make sense (and which they sill haven't got) until such time that it does make sense.

Edited by GXT

The fact was made clear from start this first gen was not going to be cheap and the end goal . GM has stated many times that his was only the start.

That isn't true at all. GM started by claiming a price under $30,000. They were even well into the mid 20's for a while. Now we are at $40K.

People have been buying Prius for years and never really saved much money if any depending on how much they drive, how they drive and how much they paid. It is more a status thing or something that just make them feel good and if GM can make more money by doing this more power to them.

Some Prius drivers have saved money, which is more than you will be able to say for any Volt driver. Not that that is the issue. Not only that, GM isn't going to make any money on the Volt for quite some time... probably not until the second generation at least, and that's from GM. Again, not that that is the issue.

The issue is that GM never intended to build the "right" car with the Volt (Lutz has made it clear the Volt is a compromise on an attempt to one-up the Prius, and he believes the demand for such cars is a media invention). As a result it is not a particularly efficient design (e.g. it uses 27 times the battery of the Insight, costs nearly twice as much, yet will likely get worse fuel economy on the highway, and anyone who drives relatively little will save only dozens of gallons/year of gas... yet GM will take an extra 5 years to get the Volt out in anything more than niche volume, will require a government subsidy, and will still lose money, and is still stuck selling hybrid cars that get a couple extra MPG). Voltec may make some sense in a while, but it doesn't make sense now, and it certainly doesn't make sense to pursue at the expense of vehicles that would make sense now.

Edited by GXT

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0