Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Chrysler owners' manuals go digital for 2010, save 20,000 trees

15 posts in this topic

Filed under: Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep

dvdmanual-liberty.jpg
2010 Jeep Liberty Owners' Manual - Click above to enlarge

It was bound to happen sooner or later. For the 2010 model year, Chrysler will no longer be providing traditional owners' manuals on any of its vehicles. Instead, all Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep cars and trucks will come with "a consolidated, customer-friendly user guide and DVD." That consumer guide will be comprised of 60-80 pages in full color and will cover the most commonly needed information.

While some will surely miss their thick paperback owners' manuals, Chrysler cites a number of benefits to the switch. For instance, dropping the four-pound books will save 930 tons of paper annually, which equates to about 20,000 trees. We'd also bet it's more informative to watch a video giving the proper procedure to fold down a Jeep Wrangler's notoriously stubborn soft top than reading about it in print. We'd also guess the Pentastar is saving a good bit of cash by making this switch. Full press release after the break if you're interested in the details.

Continue reading Chrysler owners' manuals go digital for 2010, save 20,000 trees

Chrysler owners' manuals go digital for 2010, save 20,000 trees originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=jUiIZF678ZM:iDHymHpXgfc:wF9xT autoblog?i=jUiIZF678ZM:iDHymHpXgfc:V_sGL
jUiIZF678ZM

View the full article

how much would 4 lbs save in fuel? LOL

guessing the booklet they give still has the room to record maintenance.

Why would we record maintenance in a booklet these days? Store everything in a secure USB drive

It's a good idea. Although it would suck having to go to your computer to determine tire inflation or other specs that you could normally look at right then and there. I think a good compromise would be to put the owner's manual in a multifunction display in the car, as well as the DVD. No reason not to do it on luxury cars and other cars that already have displays, and it's only a matter of time before even the cheapest cars have decent sized LCD screens.

Why would we record maintenance in a booklet these days? Store everything in a secure USB drive

Even better log on to the owner's sites and log your maintenance there.

Tire inflation rates are inside the door on every car I have looked at. What is needed is a similar sticker for all the replacement bulb sizes. Inside the hood should be a similar sticker for all the fluids and belt info. Basically a few stickers that won't get lost like a manual are much more efficient. This also leaves the glove box space for personal items like it should be.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but what happens if the owner does not have a computer or easy access to a computer? Will they still have some booklets for people like that?

Hm-mmm... How much oil does my Chrysler's crankcase hold ?

Scenario A : leans over to pass side, open glove box, spends $0 & 15 seconds to locate the page. Places open OM on seat for possible future reference.

Scenario B : goes into house, kicks teen out of way, turns on computer, waits 5 minutes for virus-laden PC to boot and gird it's loins, finds DVD, inserts it, spends $2 in electricity and 3 minutes finding the sub-sub-sub folder for capacities, notes quantity, goes back outside, realizes he forgot to note the oil viscocity, goes back inside, re-kicks teen off facebook, pops out Hendrix compilation CD and reinserts now-scratched DVD, re-accesses oil change page, notes oil weight AND oil filter #, goes back outside, gets into wife's car, drives to the ever-useless Pep Boys, buys oil & filter, drives back home, crawls under car, cannot get metric wrench to fit, wonders what pan plug size is, goes back in house, typical teen attention span has resulted in computer being turned off, turns on computer, waits 5 min......

Madness that once again fails to see the big picture.

-- -- -- -- --

The only way this makes sense in the long run is if the car itself has a DVD player. Otherwise, it's money-grubbing inconvenience, squared.

Hey at least they'd still have a dipstick to check your oil. :P

It's a novel idea but I like having my manual in the glove box.

Sir, do you know why I stopped you?

Uh, no, officer.

You were texting while driving.

Officer, no, I was checking my owners manual.

My Jeep came with the print manual and a VHS tape. I later bought a DVD shop manual.

It's a good idea. Although it would suck having to go to your computer to determine tire inflation or other specs that you could normally look at right then and there. I think a good compromise would be to put the owner's manual in a multifunction display in the car, as well as the DVD. No reason not to do it on luxury cars and other cars that already have displays, and it's only a matter of time before even the cheapest cars have decent sized LCD screens.

I thought this for a second, but if the screen fails you'd still be out of luck.

balthazar

I loved your A and B scenario. I thought it needed a another entry.

Scenario C : If someone has this much trouble changing their oil the dealer would recommend a service visit. LOL

Edited by redtruck

Semi-innovative mabye, but it still rubs me just like GM charging $75 extra for the already crappy compact spare on some of their new cars.

Hm-mmm... How much oil does my Chrysler's crankcase hold ?

Scenario A : leans over to pass side, open glove box, spends $0 & 15 seconds to locate the page. Places open OM on seat for possible future reference.

Scenario B : goes into house, kicks teen out of way, turns on computer, waits 5 minutes for virus-laden PC to boot and gird it's loins, finds DVD, inserts it, spends $2 in electricity and 3 minutes finding the sub-sub-sub folder for capacities, notes quantity, goes back outside, realizes he forgot to note the oil viscocity, goes back inside, re-kicks teen off facebook, pops out Hendrix compilation CD and reinserts now-scratched DVD, re-accesses oil change page, notes oil weight AND oil filter #, goes back outside, gets into wife's car, drives to the ever-useless Pep Boys, buys oil & filter, drives back home, crawls under car, cannot get metric wrench to fit, wonders what pan plug size is, goes back in house, typical teen attention span has resulted in computer being turned off, turns on computer, waits 5 min......

Madness that once again fails to see the big picture.

-- -- -- -- --

The only way this makes sense in the long run is if the car itself has a DVD player. Otherwise, it's money-grubbing inconvenience, squared.

Amen!

This is a very bad idea.