Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick Takes on Small Premium Vehicles

81 posts in this topic

I like it - just for the fact that it's not a regrilled Astra.

Small Buicks could be very cool. I could be talked into a Buick Alpha coupe, BTW.

Interesting product, thanks for posting.

Wow, they pull off some of that in their small car, and they'll be noticed.

I can't see the door thing being done, but I can see the trunk "presenting your luggage" happening. Not sure about the roof.

Wow, they pull off some of that in their small car, and they'll be noticed.

I can't see the door thing being done, but I can see the trunk "presenting your luggage" happening. Not sure about the roof.

The roof may not be so far-fetched either. While I don't really understand the way in which they presented it (as it appears overly complicated), electrochromatic "smart" glass has been available for quite some time now, and I could see it being implemented quite easily into a similar application.

The roof may not be so far-fetched either. While I don't really understand the way in which they presented it (as it appears overly complicated), electrochromatic "smart" glass has been available for quite some time now, and I could see it being implemented quite easily into a similar application.

That's true. The roof they showed seemed to be composed of thin cylinders of glass with an opaque shutter inside them that can be rotated into the open position for an open roof, and closed for an opaque.

I really like the idea of armrests on the seats. These could easily be turned into additional safety protection, but I also like the idea of identical armrests for both arms. I've been in so many vehicles where the armrest on the door and the one in the center are at vastly different heights. It's not a huge problem as you generally are driving and thus can only rest one arm at a time, but it strikes me as odd. Also, the armrests they show could probably easily be made height-adjustable. They do add unnecessary complication, but that's not a problem in a entry-lux or lux brand.

I really like the idea of armrests on the seats. These could easily be turned into additional safety protection, but I also like the idea of identical armrests for both arms. I've been in so many vehicles where the armrest on the door and the one in the center are at vastly different heights. It's not a huge problem as you generally are driving and thus can only rest one arm at a time, but it strikes me as odd. Also, the armrests they show could probably easily be made height-adjustable. They do add unnecessary complication, but that's not a problem in a entry-lux or lux brand.

Haha, being that I'm tall, I tend to drive with my left arm on the window ledge and left hand on the wheel. Right hand either falls on the floor shift (if I'm in a car that has one), or just hangs their lifelessly (if no one is in the passenger seat and needs attention :D )

I saw this earlier today.

We now have a name. Buick Avant!

Walt should be pleased. :scratchchin:

I love the chrome touches. Very classy!

We now have a name. Buick Avant!

Avant one, too. :neenerneener:

I ran across a report yesterday which stated that Fritz Henderson recently approved names for three new Buicks, and did it overnight (as opposed to how the "old GM" would have taken a l-o-n-g time). It didn't give the names but my guess would be

1 Regal?

2 Avant?

3 Invicta or Insignia?

outside-chance alternates: Riviera; Roadmaster

Audi wagon owners should love the name.:AH-HA_wink:

Nice to Buick thinking in the direction the market is headed with smaller luxo cars.

I just wonder if they really could do that door with little weight and no rattles?

As for the side moving seats just leave them out. Most people will want the room. Neat idea just how needed?

Audi wagon owners should love the name.:AH-HA_wink:

:fryingpan:

Actually, in the vid, Andrew Smith calls it the Buick Action Avant.

I wonder if this might be Alpha based?

More info here (with PICS!!!):

http://thelab.gmblogs.com/buick-avant/

3923004075_2603bdda11_b.jpg

3923004211_202cd70549_b.jpg

3923004359_39cf6ae889_b.jpg

3923003921_6f3a534b4f_b.jpg

3923004317_fe691613c2_b.jpg

:omfg:

Interesting Ideas. I am seeing a Buick in my future.

Chris

Amazing sketches! I see ramnants of boat tail in there. :AH-HA_wink:

These are interesting exercises in how to integrate Buick's styling cues into smaller vehicles.

Edited by ZL-1

Something like this would get me into a coupe again.

3923004211_202cd70549_b.jpg

That right there is pretty much sex on wheels. I was excited by the prospect of a Regal coupe. If that were put on Alpha and used as a "halo" vehicle, I think it would put alot of credibility back into the already drastically improved Buick lineup. As far as the others go, I think they are all attractive, and some of the features on the Avant are very cool...I really like the roof.

So, the car lineup could look like this (from smallest to biggest)...

Astra (DeltaII), Avant (Alpha), Regal and LaCrosse (EpsilonII).

According my the owner of the dealership I work at, Buick/GMC dealers will be getting one new product a year for the next 5 years, including the new Regal and a smaller car. The Lucerne won't live beyond 2012 at this point, leaving the Lacrosse the large car. GM is really pushing for Buick to be the Lexus competitor, requiring dealers to make certain facility upgrades. Also, Buick/GMC dealers in rural areas who lost Chevrolet dealers will be receiving franchises in most cases. . .

BTW this info is from the big dealer meeting last week in Las Vegas.

Edited by thedriver

So, the car lineup could look like this (from smallest to biggest)...

Astra (DeltaII), Avant (Alpha), Regal and LaCrosse (EpsilonII).

Makes sense if what we are all guessing re the size of the ATS translates into the Alpha Buick's size.

Positioning-wise, though, I think the Alpha should sit parallel to the FWD lineup rather than in between the Astra and the Regal. It should be something unique to the lineup, almost a modern-day '63 Riviera.

I actually like the side view of the 2+2 Coupe. Although I would never buy a car with a Buick badge on it.

I will always think killing Pontiac was just plain stupid. But these sketches are so promising, so sexy, so alive, especially the boattail coupe overhead sketch, that the anger and disgust can be moved aside for a moment, and in their place I can almost see a new dawn.

To Mr. Ed Welburn and your sparkling crew... thank you for all you've done so far with what you've brought to production, and thank you for carrying GM's design renaissance into the foreseeable future... give us this car intact!

I will always think killing Pontiac was just plain stupid. But these sketches are so promising, so sexy, so alive, especially the boattail coupe overhead sketch, that the anger and disgust can be moved aside for a moment, and in their place I can almost see a new dawn.

To Mr. Ed Welburn and your sparkling crew... thank you for all you've done so far with what you've brought to production, and thank you for carrying GM's design renaissance into the foreseeable future... give us this car intact!

The 2+2 has a almost a small Bently kind of look to it.

This car as a Buick could be of a quality Pontiac could never be and also this car could sell at a price Pontiac could never sell at.

Few Pontiacs could sell north of $30K. As much as I loved Pontiac I always waited till they discounted them down till they were priced what they were worht. My GTP stickered at $32K and I got it for $23K. The same for my friends with the G6. The all bought because they were cheap and would have never paid $28K like they were stickered. On the other hand they would pay more for the Lacrosse just on interior alone.

I just hope the drawings translate to metal as well as they look.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0