Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Supercharged Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 cometh? Again? For real?

7 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, Rumormill

camaro-z28.jpg
Not the real Camaro Z/28 - Click above for high-res image gallery

To build or not to build... that is the question. The subject is the Camaro, in this case in the long-rumored Z/28 guise. We've heard over the last few months that the automaker would pass on the opportunity to drop a supercharger atop the Camaro's optional V8 powerplant due to fuel economy, emissions and price concerns. However, Inside Line is reporting that GM Veep Ed Welburn says the Z/28 program is back in full effect and is headed for production.

Underneath a new bulge in the hood will sit a version of the excellent 6.2-liter LS-A from the Cadillac CTS-V that should be good for about 550 horsepower and mated up to either an automatic or manual transmission with six forward ratios. If these newest rumblings are to be believed, the Z/28 will hit the market in about a year. All that's left, says Welburn, is to finalize the tuning of the powertrain and suspension bits. Sounds good to us - we'll take ours in classic Hugger Orange with white stripes, please.

[source: Inside Line]

REPORT: Supercharged Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 cometh? Again? For real? originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=W98mKI7QQyE:_uuku_vROMs:wF9xT autoblog?i=W98mKI7QQyE:_uuku_vROMs:V_sGL
W98mKI7QQyE

View the full article

Anybody else noticing that all these performance cars with big profit potential are being "green-lighted" once again now that the government financed GM and is talking about repayment starting next year? What better way than to take advantage of popular cars and premium performance trims.

Oh joy! An even HEAVIER Camaro.

JMHO, but the Camaro doesn't need more power - it needs to be more nimble, it needs to handle better, it needs better steering feel. All of those things, are Z/28 hallmarks. I'd like to see all of those things getting attention on a new REAL Z/28 package. An extra 130 hp is completely irrelevant to me, if this sucker gains 200-300 pounds.

I wish Alpha would get here sooner, before I'm too old to care about the fun of driving.

You could buy an Aveo.. It' smaller and lighter. :)

I for one am looking forward to it if it really is back on track. GM has been able to work wonders with the handling of its highest performance models. Look at the Cobalt SS and the ZR1.

The terrific success of the Camaro justifies more trim levels, and makes this a good decision, IMO. :)

This is no suprise. They made it clear the work was done and it was on the shelf. It was more a matter of when.

But to warn you I was standing talking to Al Oppenhiser the lead engineer for Camarao and most RWD appplicatrions when someone asked if there was any chance we would see a reeturn of the Zeta. He stopped and all he would say is he was not sure how to answer that since he was not sure of the present GM position on this.

I get the feeling there are a lot of ideas in the works and they are chnaging often. That is not to say the Zeta will return but I expect we will not have issues on future performance coming in RWD in some form.

This is an old Video and the Manual tranny going away is nothing new. Emission, Mileage and the lask of sales are killing them. I just saw a 599 Ferrari Sunday that just had buttons in place of the shft lever and levers for the shifter on the wheels. If Ferrari is going this way what do you think that means for everyone elese.

Edited by hyperv6

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0