Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Welburn: C7 Corvette To Get Split Rear Window

20 posts in this topic

Welburn: C7 Corvette To Get Split Rear Window

Just over a month ago we brought you the first reports that the C7 Chevrolet Corvette is due to arrive in 2012, and now Ed Welburn, GM's product design head, has revealed that the next Vette will get a split rear window along with some other vintage styling cues.

The split rear window, though often considered an iconic Corvette element, was actually only fitted to the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray. It was also featured on the Stingray Concept car shown off for the Transformers movie debut, though GM and Welburn have both reiterated that the Stingray Concept is not the C7 Corvette.

While the stingray us undeniably Corvette, the next-gen Vette will be a bit more retron in its styling, not unlike the current 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, according to the report.

Our own previous reports also confirm that the mid-engine rumors for the C7 Corvette are just that--the next car will retain the traditional front engine/rear drive layout. It will continue to push forward with the use of high-tech materials including carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium to help further reduce weight.

As we noted earlier today, the Corvette will also have to become somewhat more emissions-conscious thanks to new standards being implemented by the federal government. GM won't let that sap the car's legendary performance, however, vowing to do whatever it takes, including going hybrid, to keep the Vette alive and kicking.

One potential direction to help maintain performance and meet emissions targets is a reduced displacement forced-induction V-8 engine not unlike the LSA fitted to the current Cadillac CTS-V. Rated at 556 horsepower, that engine would be no slouch for even the Z06 application in the Corvette range, especially with a lighter curb weight than the C6 Corvettes.

MORE AT LINK:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1035481...lit-rear-window

:scratchchin:

Not sure what to think of this... I don't want the Corvette to become a product soaked in nostalgia...

Edited by ZL-1

GM usually teases a bit with ideas they are working on for the next gen of the Corvette.

Remember the Corvette Tiger Shark (with very C6ish cues)?

vemp_0906_06_z%201997_chevrolet_corvette

Well, GM recently had the limited edition Corvette 427 :scratchchin: :

chevrolet_corvette_427_z06.jpg

And also cooked up this Corvette Hero ZR1:

2009herozr1-lg.jpg

A single Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 “Hero Edition” was specially built by General Motors to honor the Kids Wish Network’s “Hero of the Month.”

This special edition ZR1 will be paired with a Black/Red 1967 Corvette 427/390 hp roadster and raffled off at the end of the year in the Win The Vette’s Corvette Dream Giveaway.

HINT HINT HINT

Its pretty clear to me that they are focusing on the 2nd gen Corvettes for inspiration. Even more clear now that Ed has mentioned the split window.

Pleeeeese correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a REAL reason that the split window was only on one model year. Like visibility?

I guess they are going after Ferrari's motto, if it's behind me, it doesn't matter.

I don't know if I like the idea of a split rear window. This isn't a school bus we are talking about here.

Apple_Valley_Crown_Coach_Corporation2.jp

Pleeeeese correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a REAL reason that the split window was only on one model year. Like visibility?

Yeah, but GM offered Suburbans for decades with barn doors..same kind of visibility issue.

I'm on the fence with this detail..it's an interesting detail, but it's only valid if it's part of the overall design and not just a tacked on retro touch, IMHO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd like to see how it plays out. FWIW, the overhead view of the Transformers concept Corvette is my favorite view of the car.

CorvetteCentennialConcept001.jpg

It is going to be interesting to see where they take the next 'Vette... the current model is my favorite since the early '70s C3s. I really like how they tightened up the edges and added more surface tension relative to the C5. They don't need to be revolutionary w/ the C7, evolutionary improvements to the current model could work, IMHO.

I think the profile of the Stingray concept is perfect...make the front and rear a little more "realistic" and I think it would be a great looking C7...hopefully they do use cues from it, even if it isn't the next Corvette...

I'm on the fence with this detail..it's an interesting detail, but it's only valid if it's part of the overall design and not just a tacked on retro touch, IMHO.

^^This.

I don't want the Corvette to become a modernized 60s design (what the Mustang is); I want to see cues from the Corvette's past, but please GM keep design moving forward.

Edited by ZL-1

^^This.

I don't want the Corvette to become a modernized 60s design (what the Mustang is); I want to see cues from the Corvette's past, but please GM keep design moving forward.

+2. Corvette has truly kept itself in true context of subtle and modernizing changes over all its design iterations. The car has enough history and is not being brought from dead to make nostalgia a priority to pump up sales.

I would prefer it to take cues from the Transformer Concept and go from there, which has retro lineage, but yet is modern looking.

The Vette will not go all out retro. It will carry some stying traits but no more than the present Camaro did. The Aero on the C2 were horrible so they could not use much any way.

The Split window lets see what they are thinking. I expect it will be thin and it will not mess with the view much As I suspect the car will have a rear view camaera anyway.

The Lotus Exige has a review mirror and no rear window. We kid the crap out of my co worker with one. We ask him if it is to look at himself. LOL! Lotus kept it in as it was easier than getting DOT to give them a waiver.

The new Vette will be smaller lighter and will have a smaller engine. Is suspect a Turbo or small supercharger on a DI engine. DOHC? Good chance if they use them in the trucks.

The bottom line is the new car will raise the limits of performance of the C6 even in these trying times.

It is going to be interesting to see where they take the next 'Vette... the current model is my favorite since the early '70s C3s. I really like how they tightened up the edges and added more surface tension relative to the C5. They don't need to be revolutionary w/ the C7, evolutionary improvements to the current model could work, IMHO.

I feel the same way.

I expect that other than a split window, not many cues will come from the C-2. I could,however, see an even closer design tie to the C-3 working.

No matter what else they do they need a interior on par with the CTS.

Also they need their own steering wheel. I mean I love that I have the same wheel in my SS as in the ZR-1 but I wonder how the ZR-1 guy feels about having a HHR SS wheel in his ZR-1?

They at least could do a CTS V option wheel with a Vette emblem in the center.

I guess they are going after Ferrari's motto, if it's behind me, it doesn't matter.

well if you want to hear the reasoning from the time... Zora didnt like it in the least bit because he thought it hampered visibility(man he would have a coronary these days)... bill mitchell snuck it in on the premises that it was design essential. Zora got his way the following year.

well if you want to hear the reasoning from the time... Zora didnt like it in the least bit because he thought it hampered visibility(man he would have a coronary these days)... bill mitchell snuck it in on the premises that it was design essential. Zora got his way the following year.

Also many of the bars were cut out and replaced with a solid glass that many collectors had to put back in. Along with removing the 5th and 6th tail light.

The funny thing is the 1968 T top had worse blind spots to the side than the 63 had with the bar to the rear.

No matter what else they do they need a interior on par with the CTS.

Given the prices at which the Corvette sells, I agree.

Well, one way to do it will be to build the C7 on a smaller platform. Lower, narrower, shorter should easily allow another 200 lbs to come off an peg the C7 at a few ounces under 3000 lbs.

From an emissions standpoint, I don't think GM has much to worry about.

First of all, the Vette doesn't sell enough to ding overall CAFE numbers -- 15,000~20,000 cars a year is not a lot amidst a 10.5 million car annual volume even if it is Hummer H1 bad.

Second of all, the Vette's MPG numbers are pretty good actually. Just the way it currently is, 16/26 mpg, it's not that far off a Nissan Altima V6's 19/26 mpg and way better than the 5 million+ trucks and SUVs of all kinds GM sells every year.

Lastly, even with the 6.2 liter displacement simple and proven additions like Co-axial dual VVT (ala Viper), AFM and direct injection will easily yield a 10~15% efficiency improvement while increasing performance at the same time. Combined with a couple of hundred pounds less weight and the Vette will remain on par with the typical 2012 family sedan with 6-pots despite its big displacement small block.

cletus8269 - >>"well if you want to hear the reasoning from the time... Zora didnt like it in the least bit because he thought it hampered visibility(man he would have a coronary these days)... bill mitchell snuck it in on the premises that it was design essential. Zora got his way the following year."<<

Mitchell actually threatened to cancel the Sting Ray if the divided backlight didn't go into production. He obviouslyly had a far greater authority than ZAD did. I believe the 1-piece allowance for '64 was Mitchell's acknowledgement of the slight dissatisfaction of the split '63... even tho by circa '67, the ideal reversed for the rest of time and the split window was even proposed for the '71 'boattail' Riviera.

hyper v6 - >>"Along with removing the 5th and 6th tail light."<<

Incorrect: All C3 Corvettes had but 4 taillights. Tho it may seem counter to the idea that cutting out the divider and "cutting out the 5th & 6th taillights" was a move toward 'cleaning up the design', in fact it was likewise a popular customizing touch to ADD a 5th & 6th taillight.

I, for one, like the 6 tails over the 4, but it's a minor touch.

Edited by balthazar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0