Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Twitter Anyone?

I'm going to resist Twitter as long as I can. I don't understand the fascination/obsession with it. I have a Facebook page that does a lot more than Twitter and I can update that just as easily as I can update Twitter, so why would I need both?

I'm going to resist Twitter as long as I can. I don't understand the fascination/obsession with it. I have a Facebook page that does a lot more than Twitter and I can update that just as easily as I can update Twitter, so why would I need both?

Different audiences, different purpose, I feel. There is some overlap in people I follow on Twitter and people I friend on Facebook.

But the distinction is the group and the nature of the content--Facebook for me is people I know in the real world--people I know from high school, college, grad school, work, family, etc, and Twitter are some of the same (coworkers) plus people in my professional field (software) that I follow for their links, plus news feeds from CNN, BBC, local tv stations, motorsport news from various F1 websites, politicians, updates from Ford, GM and Chrysler, news and headlines from car magazines, Autoblog, tech journalists, tech news headlines, etc.

For me, Facebook is for interacting with people I know (posting pictures, etc), while Twitter is a real time headline news/topic of interest feed. I use Twitter similiarly to how I use Google Reader with RSS feeds.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Following you now PCS...

I haven't Tweeted in a long time since making an effort to cut all online chat (forums aside, of course, although there just a little) and focus any extra awake time I have on a massive career change. Hey, on that note... :AH-HA_wink:

I feel the exact same way...Flickr too.

what amazes me is how these operations stay alive. the amount of servers needed to make facebook, myspace, and twitter work is mind boggling. the sheer volume of hdd space is just crazy.

I finally signed up for an account a couple of weeks ago and have yet to use it. I just can't see myself using it honestly. To me, I get a similar result from Facebook, so I wouldn't repeat it. I understand how people can be addicted to it, but it's just not working for me.

That's probably the best description ever.

For enterprise use, Twitter is a a godsend, but the majority of its use confuses me. My buddy's girlfriend's Twitter is just filled with her talking about her nails or how much coffee she's consumed in a day.

It's great as a headline newsfeed...I follow all sorts of news tweets--local, national, international, automotive, motorsport, tech... it's easier to scan a bunch of tweets in a desktop app like TweetDeck than to comb through my RSS feeds in a reader like GoogleReader (though I use it also to keep up w/ a number of blogs). As far as my own tweets, they tend to be boring and about real world stuff--the weather, what new restaurant I ate at, etc.

When I'm home, I always have TweetDeck open, with 1/2 dozen categories of tweets (automotive, friends, tech, news and politics, f1, etc) plus localized keyword tags searches on tweets tagged for areas of interest (#phx, #den, #pgh, for example), plus I pull in my Facebook updates..

Good stuff..

yikes who is following me now?

i never get on twitter. i have maxx ed out social media.

PCS is that caddy in your avatar the XTS?

The Cadillac Sixteen is the inspiration for the XTS, the question becomes two part then. What platform will it end up on, and what will it be called? I personally don't like the XTS name and think it should be called Eldorado for a 2 door model and a 4 door model could be called the Eldorado XTS I suppose. I personally think it should not be on a LWB EP II platform. I also believe it's time for a North American plant to be based solely on this 2013 updated platform and for all production for North and South America to come out of that plant while leaving another plant somewhere else in the world to supply the rest of the world's production of that updated platform.

Edited by PCS

The Cadillac Sixteen is the inspiration for the XTS, the question becomes two part then. What platform will it end up on, and what will it be called? I personally don't like the XTS name and think it should be called Eldorado for a 2 door model and a 4 door model could be called the Eldorado XTS I suppose. I personally think it should not be on a LWB EP II platform. I also believe it's time for a North American plant to be based solely on this 2013 updated platform and for all production for North and South America to come out of that plant while leaving another plant somewhere else in the world to supply the rest of the world's production of that updated platform.

:scratchchin:.........:smilewide:

Someone listening here. I agree wholeheartedly on this issue.

is it all right to say I love what you're saying? the position of making desirable product that will shift consumer perception and force them to react and reintroduce themselves to GM product seems to be the new GM stance, and it's one we can all proudly support. [took long enough!]

on the name issue i can wholeheartedly agree, XTS doesn't have a good ring nor does it make much sense to anyone to make such a big jump from C to X. even when comparing MB, they have C then E then S. when has this naming scheme ever made sense? changing now though would be inconsistent and muddle an already blurry and incomplete product canvas. cadillac has the cadillac cars which are vague sounding letters that also work well together, and then they have the escalade which is a brand all to its own worth nurturing.

S-series recreational crossover was what SRX was supposed to stand for. it makes a billion times more sense to call the new sedan STS, and a new large three row crossover the SRX, renaming the current one to BRX or GRX. then there's the C-series touring sedan and eventually the A-series touring sedan should come along. the whole DT7 and CT6 or whatever they were going to call them, while this is confusing and hard for the consumer to learn, it does sound good. there's the big issue of the already spent effort on marketing the current names.....so my vote is just to keep them as is.

i agree it's time for a new large Cadillac coupe. Cadillac needs to focus on evolving the current style. whatever they make, it needs to be a good evolution to replace an already aged and starting to be completely irrelevant look. if there's any impact of this anywhere it may be on the SRX. it will be interesting if that car's sales look like a spike for 16-24 months, and then flatten somewhere slightly above the current model's numbers [then again it could prove to be appealing to more of a mass audience after 2 years]. the cts i think its beginning to show signs of age when looking at sales numbers, though i'd have to compare other brands' sales to compare.