Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Ten Most Exotic Cars Destroyed By Cash For Clunkers [Carpocalypse]

19 posts in this topic

500x_astoncrush.jpgThough the most popular vehicle destroyed under Cash For Clunkers was the Ford Explorer, there were also AMGs, Rolls-Royces and even a LaForza crushed. The ten most exotic cars that fools parted with below. Click through if you dare.

We'd point out these vehicles have to have been insured and driven for a year, so it's not as if these were merely broken shells of these exotic makes. Someone had to destroy a roller for, at most, $4,500 off a new car. Click next to see what cars were destroyed, how much they originally sold for, and how rare they were.

[NHTSA via Detroit Free Press

500x_C4C_Exotic_BMW.jpgVehicle: BMW 850i
Year: 1992
Original MSRP: approximately $100,000
Rareness: Only 30,000 built

500x_C4C_Exotic_DB7.jpgVehicle:Aston Martin DB7 Volante
Year: 1997
Original MSRP $137,000
Rareness: Only 7,000 built; therefore, there are only 6,999 left at most

500x_C4C_Exotic_Roush.jpgVehicle: Roush Stage 3 F-150
Year: 2006
Original MSRP: Approximately $46,000 after upgrade
Rareness: Unknown

500x_C4C_Exotic_Typhoon.jpgVehicle: GMC Typhoon
Year: 1992
Original MSRP: $29,320
Rareness: Only 4,697 produced

Photo Credit: Obnoxious Motorsports

500x_C4C_Exotic_LaForza.jpgVehicle: LaForza SUV
Year: 1990
Original MSRP: $60,000
Rareness: Unknown, but assumed rare since the Ford-powered $60,000 Italian SUV wasn't amazingly popular.

500x_C4C_Exotic_C43.jpgVehicle: Mercedes C43 AMG
Year: 1999
Original MSRP: $53,000
Rareness: Only 4,200 units built

500x_C4C_Exotic_ContiR.jpgVehicle: Bentley Continental R
Year: 1997
Original MSRP: $307,000
Rareness: Only 1,290 built

500x_C4C_Exotic_Phaeton.jpgVehicle: Excalibur Autos Phaeton
Year: 1987
Original MSRP: Unknown
Rareness: Unknown, but fairly rare

500x_C4C_Exotic_GNX.jpgVehicle: Buick GNX
Year: 1987
Original MSRP: $29,900
Rareness: Only 547 produced

500x_C4C_Exotic_4porte.jpgVehicle: Maserati Quattrporte
Year: 1985
Original MSRP: $80,000
Rareness: If it's a 1985 U.S. model then it is likely the Royale, of which only 55 were built to order for Americans

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=gS8RVz8tNy8:g4My9Em9RTY:D7DqB2pKE full?i=gS8RVz8tNy8:g4My9Em9RTY:V_sGLiPBp
gS8RVz8tNy8

View the full article

:o

Now now... Let's not jump to conclusions... I'm sure all of these cars were in terrible shape...

I mean... What rational person would take one of these cars and just turn them in, knowing full well they're going to scrap?

Don't care. Even a wrecked GNX would fetch more than $4,500 on ebay if only for the parts alone.

I cannot believe the fools that would do this to such amazing collectible cars. Makes me want to :puke:

I can see the GMC Typhoon, maybe a BMW 850i in really bad shape getting crushed, but even those are a bit of a stretch. Why would anyone crush a Bentley, Rolls or Aston for $4,500, what idiots. The car is probably worth 10 times that.

These people should be not allowed to ever own a car again and be stuck with a bus pass. Their ID should say somewhere on it "My license was revoked because I am a F#$%ing moron who crushed [insert on of these vehicles here] to buy a Hyundai Accent."

These people should be not allowed to ever own a car again and be stuck with a bus pass. Their ID should say somewhere on it "My licensed was revoked because I am a F#$%ing moron who crushed [insert on of these vehicles here] to buy a Hyundai Accent."

:yes:

Add the scumbag dealers that aided and abetted such crimes.

I find it hard to believe a GNX, or even a Grand National, was crushed. I know one typhoon went, think that Syclone got saved by the internet group.

Hate to sound like a snob...but of the cars above....other than the GNX and the Typhoon...good riddance.

Chris

Now now... Let's not jump to conclusions... I'm sure all of these cars were in terrible shape...

+1

Using original PR photos of these cars makes you think that people were trading in mint condition rare vehicles that you would find on the Barrett-Jackson auction block. The truth is probably more akin to what you just said.

I find it hard to believe a GNX, or even a Grand National, was crushed. I know one typhoon went, think that Syclone got saved by the internet group.

Hate to sound like a snob...but of the cars above....other than the GNX and the Typhoon...good riddance.

Chris

That does sound like a snob, I would never, ever condone crushing any Aston Martin. The guy who has his clunked should be castrated.

One thing to think about is that dealers are not idiots when it comes to Money, for the most part.

If they can pay $4500 for a car and sell it for ten large, they will sell it for ten large.

I would be willing to bet that if a GNX got crushed, it was a Katrina car full of rust and mud that barely ran...

I would be more willing to bet that actual Fruad was involved. Does anyone have pics of said GNX...no.

Someone would have been posting youtube video's and so forth if such a rare car was destroyed.

Not that I am not saddened by Cash for Clunkers. Today at lunch, a towing company (bunch of drivers and vehicles) came in to the resteraunt I was eating at. They were towing a small fleet of CFC vehicles.

Sadly, I'm sure this program will be back.

Chris

That does sound like a snob, I would never, ever condone crushing any Aston Martin. The guy who has his clunked should be castrated.

Not a fan of modern Astin Martins. Like Siegen said, I would bet that the car was in terrible shape. A dealer is not going to clunk a car he can resell for 30 large, just ain't gonna happen.

Chris

Speaking of C4C, the other day I saw two car carriers go buy on 28 with a bunch of Explorers and GC's on them, as well as a ladt gen Daktoa Quad Cab 4x4 (my favorite of all Dakotas).

I bet they were coming from the Hyundai dealership down the street. :nono:

Around here the local Hyundai dealers did it dirty, the lined up trades for a month before the actual bill passage, and once CFC went into effect they had about 150 cars on the first day. One Hyundai dealer took in about a million and a half dollars in CFC cars, do the math.

Thought of you today, DF, nice (sad to see it go) 4WD fullsize Dodge truck (metallic blue reg cab long bed) in the CFC cars being hauled away.

Kind of sad to see "Rest in Peace" written on the windows.

Chris

Don't care. Even a wrecked GNX would fetch more than $4,500 on ebay if only for the parts alone.

Perhaps those elite people do not want to put ANY effort in selling those cars.

These people should be not allowed to ever own a car again and be stuck with a bus pass. Their ID should say somewhere on it "My license was revoked because I am a F#$%ing moron who crushed [insert on of these vehicles here] to buy a Hyundai Accent."

Calm down now. :P

Those late '90s aston-martins were engineered junk- neighbor had one briefly, amazingly poorly engineered and completely user-unfriendly. I'm not positive what model he had, but it was a '97 convert. I looked it over & under one day- on par with a Mustang convert. Completely expendable.

Bentleys are also universally overpriced with terrific depreciation. Pull the lever- no one will miss it.

A GNX, on the other hand.......... Frankly, that one I don't believe. One of the few cars that has never depreciated, I believe.

Methinks someone clunked a 200,000 mile Regal and filed paperwork for a GNX.

About 1600 Mustangs were crushed though...most of which were pretty rough.

Seems like every dealer that took in 100 cars took in 1 really decent one, 10 that were passable driveable cars, and 90 junkers.

Would like to see people Irate about the money going overseas for Petro, but that ain't gonna happen.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0