Poor sleeping habits

Intrepidation

Since I started working I've been trying to get to bed a decent time so I can get 7-8 hours of sleep, be up at 6:30 so I can be well rested and ready for work at 8. That means going to bed at 10 or 11.

Well it's 12:38am right now so you can see where this is going.

Last week I did pretty well. However by nature I'm a night owl, and unfortunately I haven't been able to get to sleep this week until 1 or 2am. Well it finally caught with me and I fell asleep as soon as I got him untl 10:30. So Now I've had about 6 hours of sleep and I'm awake again.

meh...

What are your sleeping habits like?

Very irregular.

One night I might go to bed at 2 a.m. The next night 5 a.m. The next night 3 ... ish. I'll admit, it's a little old, but I can't seem to get myself out of it.

Additionally, I didn't sleep at all last night. Knowing that I had to leave at 8 a.m. to get to Lexington by 9 and knowing that I usually don't wake up until noon, I decided not to take the chance and pulled an all-nighter. I've probably downed a portion of my body weight in caffeine today. I also haven't taken one nap either.

Oddly, I smoke less and eat less when I'm sleep deprived. :blink:

Yeah my sleep habits are irregular as well. I'm hoping after a few weeks I'll fall into a pattern.

The problem that because I like to stay up, I do so on the weekend and then try to go to bed early Sunday, but since I was up till 3am and slep until like noon that doesn't work out.

Other problem, which I had all week this week, is that when I got home I was tired, but didn't want tog o to bed then and end up waking up in the middle of the night...like right now. However by the time 10 or 11 rolls around I'm wide awake and it takes a while for me to go to sleep because I'm awake.

The worst thing is when you lay down to go to sleep and start thinking about random things but can't shut your mind off.

I don't have the best sleeping habits, but I always manage to get 7-8 hours.

Some things I've done to help me sleep better is to drink milk before bed, and use earplugs; although that might be a problem for your significant other when it comes to alarm volume.

Another thing I do is not use the computer an hour before bed. Instead, I just lie down and watch the news on TV. For some reason, the computer kept me awake, whereas the TV on a low volume mellows me out.

When it comes to my mind wandering while awake in bed, I try to think about Intel P45 boards. Puts me out real quick. :P

Yeah my sleep habits are irregular as well. I'm hoping after a few weeks I'll fall into a pattern.

The problem that because I like to stay up, I do so on the weekend and then try to go to bed early Sunday, but since I was up till 3am and slep until like noon that doesn't work out.

Other problem, which I had all week this week, is that when I got home I was tired, but didn't want tog o to bed then and end up waking up in the middle of the night...like right now. However by the time 10 or 11 rolls around I'm wide awake and it takes a while for me to go to sleep because I'm awake.

The worst thing is when you lay down to go to sleep and start thinking about random things but can't shut your mind off.

I used to have that problem quite a lot when I was in school, still had a job, and a relationship (read: used to have a life). Usually when I got in that state of mind, I'd maybe give up on sleeping that night, maybe take a short nap and wake up, take a shower, and push on through the day, making sure to drink anything that could be a good pick-me-up. It isn't fun, I'll say that. It's also very hard not to just shut-down and crash when you get the chance.

Edited by whiteknight

I do not require much sleep. If I got to bed too early 8,9, or 10 I will wake up at 2 or 3 am. I have to go to bed late in order to wake up at my normal time of 4 to 5 am. I then get up and do my exercises. I cannot sleep late on the weekends either. I do not use an alarm clock to get up either. If I sleep late, I get physically ill. It is not a joke. I will be in great physical pain with a heavy head. That is why I never sleep in or sleep late.

working 2nd (1430-2300) it was hard for me to even make it to 12:30 back when adult swim had the best lineup... then for a while i was up til 0200-0300 and sleeping til 10-11. hated sleeping half the day away.

when i needs teh sleeps i reach for the flyod folder on the computer or mp3 player. one of may faves is the dark side of the moon or one of the long songs such as

(my super fav pairing of the song... interesting too.)

Since living in California again (less than 2 years), I have not slept well at all.

I love to sleep. I used to take a nap in the early evening for 2 hours. I used to then get a full 7 to 8 hours of sleep. No longer.

I take Ambien generic. I went for months without sleep prior to getting it prescribed. It generally works well (unless there has been a very stressful episode) and I wake up feeling completely alert. I recommend that anyone who has sleeping problems get help. The solution is often feasible.

I try and get to sleep at about 10-10:30 Sun-Thur nights, up at 5:15-5:30 Mon-Fri. Friday and Sat nights stay up till 11-12 or so, sleep in until 7-7:30. Ambien is my friend. On the weekends, I often take a 1-2 hr afternoon nap. I treasure that.

I usually don't use an alarm clock except Monday mornings..the dogs wake me before 5:30 usually.

I've been prone to insomnia in the past, still get it once in a while. When I was younger and in college and grad school, I was a total night owl..but over the last 12+ years, I've become a morning person...

When I was younger and in college and grad school, I was a total night owl

..become a morning person...

So many people I know are night owls. Even as a teenager, I never did much at night, except come home when the movie at the theater ended and, every once in a while, end up at Bob's Big Boy eating "the combo" with my friends. It probably goes with not liking to drive at night, either. I like seeing everything fairly clearly.

I couldn't study at night. My concentration went out the window right at about 11 pm, which was when the library closed anyway.

I've always been a morning person.

Edited by trinacriabob

I was just thinking that i only really go to bed to just cuddle with the "babe" other than that I watch TV work on my novel or walk the dog. I get my best sleep on the couch for about an hour or 2 a day. My mind is always thinking about some useless thing so it keeps me up which is a very bad thing.

I'm really light and noise sensitive about sleep...part of being a light sleeper, I'm afraid. I have to have a dark room that is quiet or with the ceiling fan on (a constant noise). I like a firm but soft mattress...since I got a king size pillow top, I find I sleep better..

I'm a night owl and usually get called a vampire cause I run for my bed when I see sunlight. But in recent years, the last 2 or 3, my schedule has been all over the place....one week I might be going to bed at 4 in the afternoon and waking up at midnight and the next the reverse. Right now its 7:22 PM and I've been awake since 11 PM last night, and this is one of those weeks where Im going to bed at 4 in the afternoon but I forced myself to stay out to try to switch my schedule again, plus I need to run out for some smokes...

i'm a fairly easy sleeper. i love staying in a comfy bed, but i normally get to bed between 11 and 12, and been getting up around 8:30 to 9. sometimes i wake up if i'm too cold or hot, but i have a wide range of comfort in terms of temps.

For all of this talk, I'm surprised nobody has advised DF to get some Melatonin.

I've been a nightowl for years... plus I have sleep apnea, so I typically would work until exhaustion then would sleep for 14 hours. Even after getting used to a CPAP, and cutting my sleep down to 9 hours, I still had a lot of trouble initially falling asleep. Its very difficult to turn the brain off...

Melatonin is the sleep drug the brain uses to shut off the the brain and make one tired... If I take a 5mg pill, it will usually make me groggy in about an hour... I try to take the Melatonin the same time every night. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for it to build up in the body, so one cannot expect miracles the first time you try it. And bigger doses are not always best, so I need to skip a night every 7-8 days, otherwise it I get too much.

Other tips include not doing lots of exercise in the last few hours before sleeping, or drinking a bunch of caffeine or using the computer during that hour.

I've gotten a pretty good grip on my sleeping habits, but it still takes some effort.

The problem is isually down to one night I don't go to bed at the time I should (I find something that keeps me interested and before you know it its past 12am). , and then the rest of sleeping habit gets messed up until I get to sleep at the right time. This happened Sunday night and I just haven't got myself back into the right habit.

Wednesday I actually got to bed at the proper time, however about half an hour later I started coughing and had a coughing fit, which lasted for like an hour. :(

By the time it was finally over I fell right asleep, but it was also at least 1am. Damn dust allergies.

The problem is isually down to one night I don't go to bed at the time I should (I find something that keeps me interested and before you know it its past 12am). , and then the rest of sleeping habit gets messed up until I get to sleep at the right time. This happened Sunday night and I just haven't got myself back into the right habit.

Well, like I said, it takes some work. Problem is, that as you get older, the sleep problems get worse, so its best to get into certain habits sooner, not later.

I try to go to sleep the same time each night, regardless if its a "work" night or not... I know that shifting my sleep is going to hurt worse later.

As far as getting sidetracked into staying up late, I usually have a list of things I'm researching or whatnot... I keep a list by the computer, since that information will be there tomorrow... if its getting to late, I jot down what I was doing so I can pick it up the next day... and I'll budget more time for that.

Don't get me wrong... I still seriously screw my schedule... but I've gotten better at repairing it.

Good luck.

Edit: Melatonin is still OTC and fairly cheap and non-habit forming. I would still suggest getting a bottle and trying it as it works differently on different people. I've been using Naturol 5mg... but 3mg is also available.

Edited by SAmadei

I used to have very late nights when I was in college. The week before my final review, I got a total of 9 hours of sleep over 7 days, and the last two before were all nighters. I have never been so tired in my life. Getting that little sleep is not good for the body. I think I began to hallucinate a couple times in the middle of the night while I was cutting with an x-acto... surprisingly, I still have my thumbs.

These days, I usually go to bed between 12 and 12:30, and have to get up at 7 AM on weekdays. It's very hard for me to stay up past 2 AM now that I work full-time.

Well, like I said, it takes some work. Problem is, that as you get older, the sleep problems get worse, so its best to get into certain habits sooner, not later.

I try to go to sleep the same time each night, regardless if its a "work" night or not... I know that shifting my sleep is going to hurt worse later.

As far as getting sidetracked into staying up late, I usually have a list of things I'm researching or whatnot... I keep a list by the computer, since that information will be there tomorrow... if its getting to late, I jot down what I was doing so I can pick it up the next day... and I'll budget more time for that.

Don't get me wrong... I still seriously screw my schedule... but I've gotten better at repairing it.

Good luck.

Edit: Melatonin is still OTC and fairly cheap and non-habit forming. I would still suggest getting a bottle and trying it as it works differently on different people. I've been using Naturol 5mg... but 3mg is also available.

Since its non habit forming, it might be good for those nights where I can't fall asleep. Thanks for teh advice!

It's been a long time since I've pulled an all nighter...did some in college and grad school, incl. one insane marathon ~40 hr stretch w/o sleep working w/ a couple other grad students on finishing a big project. I did ~50 hours w/o sleep when working at a startup in 2000, whole team worked all weekend getting ready for a big demo w/ a big potential client. After about age 35, I find it hard staying up past midnight anymore...

I'm a late night person. I normally work 2nd shift but sometimes do 3rd if needed. Going from 2nd to 3rd isnt a big deal. Going from 3rd to 2nd is a little harder. I usually dont sleep too bad though I do usually get up about halfway through to use the bathroom. I hate having to get up too early in the morning though.

I'm really light and noise sensitive about sleep...part of being a light sleeper, I'm afraid. I have to have a dark room that is quiet or with the ceiling fan on (a constant noise). I like a firm but soft mattress...since I got a king size pillow top, I find I sleep better..

I'm also a light sleeper. The strange this is, I was never one as a kid or up through high school. I would go to around midnight or 1 and sleep like a rock until 11 AM on weekends.

I still get plenty of sleep, but if someone enters a room or turns on a TV or makes some sort of noise, I will hear it and wake up. I had lots of problems in college with roomates watching movies or playing video games late at night and keeping me awake. Even just talking in the room next to mine will keep me awake.

The week before my final review, I got a total of 9 hours of sleep over 7 days, and the last two before were all nighters. I have never been so tired in my life. Getting that little sleep is not good for the body.

Yes, I remember this cycle. Everyone had a different "reason" for their all-nighters. Some were night owls, some were lazy and had to cram, some didn't have their design worked out and some bit off more than they could chew.

Mine was a little bit of the last two - not having the project worked out and biting off more than I could chew (it had to be ultra-complete). Still, since I studied most of the day, I would only pull 2 sets of 2 all-nighters during a semester...one at the mid-term time frame and one during finals week. Never failed, the quick drop in stress caused me to get sick every time (2 or 3 days in bed with aches and pains, slight fever) as I boarded a plane immediately after the last semester project/test and flew home.

Yes, I remember this cycle. Everyone had a different "reason" for their all-nighters. Some were night owls, some were lazy and had to cram, some didn't have their design worked out and some bit off more than they could chew.

Mine was a little bit of the last two - not having the project worked out and biting off more than I could chew (it had to be ultra-complete). Still, since I studied most of the day, I would only pull 2 sets of 2 all-nighters during a semester...one at the mid-term time frame and one during finals week. Never failed, the quick drop in stress caused me to get sick every time (2 or 3 days in bed with aches and pains, slight fever) as I boarded a plane immediately after the last semester project/test and flew home.

Well, I hit my peak of sleep deprivation in my college years, and I wish I hadn't. At one point I went six days with only about 2 hours of nap (4 days of cramming/exams then 2 days to pack up and move out), and it hit me bad. Hallucinations, weird behavior, inability to function... after it was over with I slept for three days straight... my sleep patterns never returned fully to normal after that. Later, reading about people who set records for sleep deprivation, I found that some of them suffered from permanent effects, and I wonder if my stunts didn't help bring on the following three-ish years of heavy depression and bizarre sleep patterns.

Looking back on that period of my life, I'm shocked my friends didn't think I was hiding a huge drug problem or something.

Since its non habit forming, it might be good for those nights where I can't fall asleep. Thanks for teh advice!

Your welcome... I just hope it helps, as insomnia is such a frustrating experience.

Oh, one other thought... since it has a fairly light effect... its not going to knock you out cold, like Nyquil, the "I-took-it-and-woke-up-on-the-kitchen-floor-medicine", I recommend not fighting it. In my experience (and granted, yours may vary), I can fight it... say I take it and I find something REALLY interesting on TV... but then the body seems to get used to the Melatonin level and the sleepiness will go away after a while... say three hours after taking it, give or take. Then I will have a rough night of insomnia. I've done that too many times to count... whoops.

i am never sure why i had to sacrifice sleep for the opinions of an arch prof whose opinions were exactly that, worthless, and why are they teaching instead of working in a for profit world anyways?

no job / career is worth losing sleep for. especially in a culture and business environment that has no regard for employees and simply sees them as numbers on a balance sheet. After school, and enough of the extended hours thing in firms, i can safely say i am not going to participate in that bull$h! again. the whole 'we need all of you / we have no use for you' thing.

if someone suggests to me that i sacrifice sleep and family time in return for a dead end job experience, and lack of appreciation again, they can go fk themselves.

i am never sure why i had to sacrifice sleep for the opinions of an arch prof whose opinions were exactly that, worthless, and why are they teaching instead of working in a for profit world anyways?

no job / career is worth losing sleep for. especially in a culture and business environment that has no regard for employees and simply sees them as numbers on a balance sheet. After school, and enough of the extended hours thing in firms, i can safely say i am not going to participate in that bull$h! again. the whole 'we need all of you / we have no use for you' thing.

if someone suggests to me that i sacrifice sleep and family time in return for a dead end job experience, and lack of appreciation again, they can go fk themselves.

True.

To me, it's not about the money, it's the personal time with family and friends.

My buddy makes only about 45-50k at his job, (he knows and can make more), but he can darn near come and go as he pleases. Granted, he is a hard worker. There's been a weeks where he was working like 32-35 hours.....

He loves hanging out with his family, and he and his wife are very smart shoppers, so it works out...

It really does depend what is more important to you....

God, some of the profs. were such highbrow, "ivory tower" geeks. Few of them had any practical knowledge. They were only interested in he "frozen music" aspect. (I love that expression).

And, then, depending on where you went to school, most of the profs. in the applied stuff (structures, HVAC, etc.) were pretty good...most of them actually worked.

I never really have done that much overtime. About once every 2 or 3 months, there are a couple of all-nighters. I've paced myself to avoid them. What really sucks is a firm with a mercenary OT culture that bonuses quarterly and then the bonus nowhere near makes up for the time, on an hourly basis. Those kinds of firm have higher turnover.