Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Pics Aplenty: IIHS reveals before and after of Malibu/Bel Air crash

5 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Safety, Chevrolet

0002-malibu_lg_opt.jpg0003-bel_air_lg_opt.jpg0004-malibu_pc_lg_opt.jpg0005-belair_pc_lg_opt.jpg
IIHS '09 Malibu vs. '59 Bel Air crash test - Click above for high-res image gallery

We're all well aware of the video released recently by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. You know the one. Modern Chevy Malibu versus vintage Chevy Bel Air. Crash test. The results speak for themselves (see the video again after the jump). The two cars, one a 1959 model and the other from 2009, illustrate exactly how far vehicle safety has come in the 50 years since the IIHS was founded. There are two others dates you should know. 1972 was when the IIHS launched the Highway Loss Data Institute and began collecting objective data on insurance losses. The other date is 1992 when the Vehicle Research Center was opened and the IIHS began crashing cars.

In addition to the aforementioned video, the IIHS has also just released a gallery of images, before and after if you will, of the two cars involved in the celebratory crash. Note the passenger compartment of the '09 Malibu, which stays completely intact, versus the Bel Air that crumbles like a cereal box. Thanks for the tip, Derrick!

[source: IIHS]

Continue reading Pics Aplenty: IIHS reveals before and after of Malibu/Bel Air crash

Pics Aplenty: IIHS reveals before and after of Malibu/Bel Air crash originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:49:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=wdxi307UlGk:iyQKGBdvtco:wF9xT autoblog?i=wdxi307UlGk:iyQKGBdvtco:V_sGL
wdxi307UlGk

View the full article

Ouch, the front of the Bel Air is in the cabin! That's not due to rust...the metal deformed not snapped.

Let the excuses for the old car begin!

As stated previously & more than once: the '59 Chevy's X-frame was an acknowledged poor design when new- it is the worst '59 frame design to hold up as an example of 1959's crash-worthiness.

That aside, there's nothing to be said for the rest of the body structure.

I would still prefer to drive a '59 over an '09, given the choice, but make mine the uber-framed B-59, thanks.

Would it still 'lose' to the '09 ?? I believe so; yes. Doesn't change my choice, tho.

Edited by balthazar

The real problem is that people are even dumber while driving today....

I still remember the NASCAR like accident on 696....

How do you crash test for that?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room