Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I went to the GM Design exhibition

7 posts in this topic

I went to the GM Design show. I talked to this guy there. Bill Porter who headed the Buick design studio was here Thursday and Friday. I missed him. I still got info from them about what I saw.

I must tell you what I saw. I saw the drawing that lead to the 1974-1976 Chevrolet Caprice. I saw all these other ideas that GM used later or never made it to production. I saw the design proposal for the 1973 and 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix. That front end on the 1977 Grand Prix had hidden headlights for the design proposal. I saw a lot proposals from Buick Riviera and Oldsmobile Toronado. I saw the drawing that led to the the 1971 to 1978 Oldsmobile Toronado. The rear end design was actually a front end design proposal. It had Oldsmobile Firenza headlights. They had a lot of Grand Prix design proposals. I saw these Chevrolet Chevelle design proposals. A lot of them ended up in production. There was this design proposal for the Chevelle that ended up being the rear end for the early 1970's Camaro.

There was a Grand Prix design proposal from the 1970's that later became the 1989-1993 Buick Riviera. The 1979-1985 Riviera design proposal was seen there too. The taillights were different. You could see the design clearly. They had the design proposal for the Chevrolet S-10 instrumentation panel and for a 1960's Pontiac Bonneville. There were a lot of Pontiac design concepts.

I saw a Tony Balthasar who did work on the 1966 Buick Riviera. I never knew the 66 Toronado and 66 Riviera shared parts. I wonder if he is the same one who posts here.

I saw the Pontiac and Buick design proposal that were quite interesting. There was this Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 that looked like a Plymouth Barracuda in the rear. There was the Toronado design proposal that looked like a boat tail Riviera.

There were these Cadillac design proposals that ended being front ends for some of the mid 1970's Cadillacs. I found out that GM would trash the drawings after the cars went into production. The designers would sneak the drawings out of the studios. They were not supposed to do that. This is why the ones that have been saved or seen in public are rare. GM still owns the rights to the drawings and that is why you will never see them published in a book.

The designers of GM past did not use computers. They did this stuff by hand using different art mediums.

I had to ask myself what happened at GM.. They had some great stuff.

This website has many of the drawings I saw:

Designing an Icon: Creativity and the American Automobile

http://deansgarage.com/

The exhibition is traveling across the country. It was first from Louisville, Kentucky Bill Porters home town. It has been in Wayne State University. They said Illinois was next.

I saw this posted on DeansGarage and I was actually thinking this would be something you would enjoy when I heard it was going to Houston. Damn Im jealous.

I assume picture taking was not allowed?

If this came to Toronto, Id be there in a flash!

I saw this posted on DeansGarage and I was actually thinking this would be something you would enjoy when I heard it was going to Houston. Damn Im jealous.

I assume picture taking was not allowed?

If this came to Toronto, Id be there in a flash!

Awwww..... don't be. I just hat I missed Bill Porter on the Thursday and Friday. I would have loved to ask him about Riviera. He designed the 1995-1999 Riviera, 2000 LeSabre and the last Park Avenue too. He then retired from GM. Being a designer at GM is a hush hush secretive thing I was told today. It is amazing how many years ahead they are working on cars now. So while you are waiting to see Cadillac XTS, it maybe close to finalized. I am just using that as an example.

See the reason why GM has showed so much recently is to let the public know they have product coming and to keep interest alive.

I was amazed at what they kept. GM is serious about that stuff leaving the design studios. It is copywritten too. A lot of the older GM designers are still living, many have passed on. There was another designer who had things for the show, but he took them out because he did not want his things traveling across the country.

This show is a test bed for future shows. The one here in Houston was the first place after Louisville. I was just told the show will be traveling back up north.

I asked about photographs, but I do not think it was allowed. Bill Porter had no problem with people taking photographs, but I do not know if the university would allow that. I work here too.

Where in Illinois? I'd like to check it out if it's not too far.

He did not say. I found out another GM designer is a professor here at U of H too. He did not move up in the ranks like Bill Porter did. Bill created the 1968 GTO and 1970-1973 Trans Am. He ran the Pontiac studio for a time in the 1960's and 1970's. He ran the Buick Studio for years until he retired.

A lot of the old GM designers know each other. There were 91 drawings or proposals I saw.

This show is a test bed for future shows. The one here in Houston was the first place after Louisville.

This came to Louisville?! :hissyfit:

Louisville Visual Art Association

Kentucky Arts Council

It was in 2008 it was there. I am sorry.

I feel a little better knowing it was last year now and not last month. :P

If it was last month, then I would still be really upset.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room