NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: The Ten Worst States To Drive Across [Road Trips]

8 posts in this topic

Reason: "New Jersey. The last time my family drove through there, our Xterra suffered a tire blowout and we had to wait over 2 hours for an AAA van to come fix it for us (our spare tire was missing). In 90 degree July weather with garbage lining the shoulders. And there's nothing to see except factories, overpasses, and douchebag wiggers swerving in and out of traffic in their parent's BMWs.  It's ‘The Armpit of America' for a reason." 

Photo Credit: Matthew Crone

500x_Worst_State_WV_81.jpgState: West Virginia
Route: I-81
Suggested By: FlatheadSmith
Reason: "Several years ago my family was on a road trip to attend my sister's marriage in New York City, she is the black sheep of the family you see, and as we were driving north up through a beautiful part of Virginia the road suddenly went all to hell. The road went from smooth pavement to something sort of between asphalt and gravel with potholes added for fun. There were run down trailer houses, ramshackle shacks, completely rusted cars on blocks and trash everywhere one looked. We saw one house sitting on a hill, where it could be clearly seen that trash had been thrown directly out the back doors for tens of years, and the trash pit had migrated its way to the bottom of the hill. This was a white trash mecca that was as poverty stricken as any place I had ever seen; it was third world in nature. This went on for about ten miles and then a sign up ahead said you are now entering Maryland. Wham, the road was smooth, the houses and yard were nice, and we were in Suburbia again. My wife looked closely at the map and determined that we had driven a very short distance through a small corner of West Virginia." 
Photo Credit: CMerlo441

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=4jWrXpCPGkM:HNvVtRtvPF0:D7DqB2pKE full?i=4jWrXpCPGkM:HNvVtRtvPF0:V_sGLiPBp
4jWrXpCPGkM

View the full article

I would have to say that I agree with this list almost 100%.

I actually liked driving on I 40 thru New Mexico.

Other than that, I have been on all of these roads and I concur.

I would nominate I-77 through South Carolina. Between Columbia and the Metrolina region, absolute nothingness. It's even worse at night.

For that matter, I-20 through South Carolina isn't too much fun either apart from Columbia.

Agreed. If that reader thinks NM on the 40 sucks, he/she clearly hasn't driven through NM on the 10.

Also, I don't agree with TX being on this list. Seems the only gripe was that TX is a large state, big whoop. TxDOT makes some awesomely good highways, and their freeway design is among the best in the nation.

I'd put OK on there instead of TX. Bad roads, poor design, awful signage, and then the ghetto Turner Turnpike.

Edited by Croc

Agreed. If that reader thinks NM on the 40 sucks, he/she clearly hasn't driven through NM on the 10.

Also, I don't agree with TX being on this list. Seems the only gripe was that TX is a large state, big whoop. TxDOT makes some awesomely good highways, and their freeway design is among the best in the nation.

I'd put OK on there instead of TX. Bad roads, poor design, awful signage, and then the ghetto Kilpatrick Turnpike.

AMEN!

"My windshield wipers melted to the windshield".......not possible in Earths climate.

Yep. Agree with everything you said here.

Notice that three of them are I-80?

I'd have to say I enjoyed the drive to NYC a lot more than the drive to Chicago, even though there was a lot more traffic in NYC. Oh, and also people in Newark are idiots who don't even know how to direct somebody to Manhattan. Seriously, it's like 10km away...

I'd have to say I enjoyed the drive to NYC a lot more than the drive to Chicago, even though there was a lot more traffic in NYC. Oh, and also people in Newark are idiots who don't even know how to direct somebody to Manhattan. Seriously, it's like 10km away...

Maybe because you asked them in metric...? :neenerneener:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor